Weekly DVD/Blu-Ray Releases: July 8, 2014

Topic started by takashichea on July 8, 2014. Last post by takashichea 2 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,687 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Welcome to this week's DVD and Blu-Ray releases. For this week, it's a small selection. Out of the three, I did watched Sasami-San and Naruto Shippuden. For Sasami-San, it's a strange show. I can't really explain it well. If you're going to watch it, be prepared for some incestuous moments and bizarre, confusing story. I think our Anime Vice's expert can fill you in. For Naruto Shippuden, it's the sequel to Naruto, and for many young folks, this is a popular Shonen anime that served as a gateway drug to anime besides Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. The series isn't for everyone if you are not a Shonen fan because the series has a lot of pacing issues.

I would love to hear your recommendations on these series. All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I'm just promoting the official release and the publishers. I'm not selling you anything. This is to combat piracy and get fans to support the official release. All summaries are from ANN.

Notes

• None

Sources

DVD and Blu Ray Releases

Flowers of Evil - Complete Collection (Blu-Ray or DVD)
  • Distributor: Sentai Filmworks
  • Suggested retail price: $59.98 (Blu-Ray), $49.98 (DVD)
Darkness lurks everywhere, in every human heart, and sometimes it takes just a second of weakness for it to take root. For Takao Kasuga, that germination begins when his obsession with his beautiful classmate Nanako meets the opportunity to "borrow" her used gym clothes. Unfortunately, his loathsome act of laundry theft is witnessed by Nakamura, the strange girl who sits behind him in class. Soon, Nakamura's own dark obsessions begin to hook their twisted tendrils into Takao's miserable existence.

Blackmailed into a "contract" under the threat of having his guilt revealed to his entire class, the former bookworm who could spend hours reading Beaudelaire's "The Flowers of Evil" now finds himself entwined in Nakamura's growing fantasies as she leads him down the garden path to damnation. As their blossoming relationship becomes ever darker, even the seemingly innocent Nanako is pulled into the nightmare.

Just what are Nakumura's ultimate plans, and will the increasingly trapped Takao really be willing to carry them out? What you sow, you must ultimately reap, and there's certain to be a harrowing harvest ahead!

• Contains episodes 1-13.
Naruto Shippuden (DVD box19)
  • Distributor: Viz Media
  • Suggested retail price: $44.82
As the Leaf Village prepares for war, each shinobi and clan must contemplate the role they will play in the battles to come. While Naruto's peers seek training from surprising sources, Naruto himself must confront both his biggest weakness and greatest strength: the Nine-Tailed Fox.

To reach optimum power, Naruto must learn to control the beast within him, so he seeks help from the one person who has mastered just that, Killer Bee! But the Jinchuriki of Eight Tails wants nothing to do with training Naruto!

• Contains episodes 232-244.
  • Special Features: Storyboards, Clean Opening, Clean Endings.
  • Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai (DVD)
  • Distributor: Sentai Filmworks
  • Suggested retail price: $49.98
In Japan, the term hikikomori is used to describe people who've become so socially withdrawn that they refuse to leave their homes for weeks and even months at a time. For Sasami Tsukuyomi, a shut-in attempting to pass her first year of high school, it's more than just a word. Fortunately, she lives with her older brother Kamiomi, who just happens to be a teacher at the exact school Sasami is supposed to attend.

With the help of her "Brother Surveillance Tool," Sasami is able to view the outside world via her computer, theoretically allowing her to readjust to interacting with people once more. In reality, it reveals her brother's interactions with the three very odd Yagami sisters, whose looks and motives are deceiving, and have various types of interest in Kamiomi. That's when things start to get really weird...

Magical powers? Everything turning into chocolate? Has life via the web warped Sasami's brain, or is it the universe that's going crazy? It looks like Sasami will have to take off her pajamas and go out into the real world to set things straight!

• Contains episodes 1-12.
Post by DocHaus (933 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Sasami-san got a stateside DVD release? Really? That show is Japanese as fuck. Seriously, there are so many references to Amaterasu, her children, and Shinto-ism in general that if you don't know at least a little bit about them a lot of the dialogue will fly over your head.

Post by takashichea (12,687 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@DocHaus:

I'm surprised, too. I wonder why no company took Sket Dance or Beelzebub and licensed in America and other countries. I don't think they dubbed it. I'll check. Translations would hard to do if an anime series has too many cultural references.

I never paid attention to Sasami like I did with Mekaku City Actors.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel