Underrated (or Misunderstood) Anime

Topic started by gia on Dec. 7, 2008. Last post by KingOfAsh 1 year, 1 month ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Since we have an "overrated anime" thread, I thought I'd start one for underrated shows. Here are a few of mine:

• Kaiba is a phenomenal series. It's got a striking art style- think Takashi Murakami's art meets classic mangaka Osamu Tezuka --and an amazing story. It's set in a future where people's memories can be transferred from body to body, and explores what that means about our identities.
  • Ouran High School Host Club is certainly popular enough, but it's mostly because of the cute guys and the absolutely hilarious humor. Those are great and all, but the thing that really draws me to the series (particularly the manga) is the way that its drama is so understated...it's always just about these kids growing up and figuring out who they are and who they want to be.

So, tell us about YOUR favorite underrated/misunderstood show!
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Hmmm...Paranoia Agent is probably all Ive got in the anime department. It was just so cool to watch, one of the few things that actually scared me as a kid when it came to media, and the story was so funny after you got to the end of it and figured out the character's motif

Ah, no one can forget Monster. Thats probably the best series of all time, and it seems like the more I hear about it, the less people know of it D:
Hmm, Monster's pretty well-known, if not necessarily well-read/watched. The last volume of the manga is coming out this month *_* And Urasawa's other seminal work, 20th Century Boys, is starting in February! *excited*
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Probably Samurai 7, many of the people i know dislike it just because it has robots and it's supposed to be about samurais. I love the art style, music and characters of the show.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Eden: It's an Endless World: This manga is a semi post apocolyptic manga, set in a world where, after 15% of the population died and MANY others were disabled, Gangs and terrorists run rampant. The story follows  Elijah, a 15 year old who happens to be the kid of one of these drug lords., though he has no contact with his dad.  More than a big overarching plot, which there is, it's how Elijah interreacts with others that makes the interesting stories. The art is kinda gritty, kinda realistic, which really fits the series well. There's a fair ammount of gun and militial action too. For people that like a little thinking and character development, with some gritty warfare type stuff, Eden is a truly beautiful series.
Post by orz (114 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Ikki Tousen!!!! ....maybe more of misunderstood.
Post by brukaoru (16 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Black_Rose said:
"Probably Samurai 7, many of the people i know dislike it just because it has robots and it's supposed to be about samurais. I love the art style, music and characters of the show."
I've always been interested in seeing that, as well as the movie it's based on.
Post by Shingui_Takeda (199 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Monster was an awesome show. very interesting
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Bobobo bobobo pretty much no one understand its Japanese humor and weird sketches not even me at times XD
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8
well my show i talk about all the time "This ugly yet beautiful world" is underrated because i don't most people know about and it should make a public appearance on television other than "anime network on demand"
Desisaishi: This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is a Gainax show, so it definitely got some attention when it first came out. It wasn't one of their more popular series, though...I liked it okay, but I didn't think it was amazing.
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8
gia said:
"Desisaishi: This Ugly Yet Beautiful World is a Gainax show, so it definitely got some attention when it first came out. It wasn't one of their more popular series, though...I liked it okay, but I didn't think it was amazing."

oh my mistake

yeah good point gainex has there shows public i guess

well its an A list series in my book
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
gia said:
"Hmm, Monster's pretty well-known, if not necessarily well-read/watched. The last volume of the manga is coming out this month *_* And Urasawa's other seminal work, 20th Century Boys, is starting in February! *excited*"
I keep thinking it's still November, time stopped for me somewhere in that month

And yeah, thats what I meant, so many people havent read it D:
Post by Zorn (131 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Baki the Grappler: The characters may look inhumane but it's the best martial arts anime i believe ever made besides Fist of the North star,also Baki the grappler is pure action there is no emotional bullcrap unless it's neccessary.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I used to think Yakitate!! Japan was more underrated, but I started to find more people online who liked it. It's just that only about five people who weren't watching the show in club with me knew who it was at MTAC two years ago, and that is a travesty. Come on Food Network, this is the anime for you.
Post by otakureview (47 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Hm, well the number one series that springs to mind is my all time favorite: Princess Nine

This is definitely a series that didn't get nearly the attention on either side of the Pacific I think. It wasn't a 'technical masterpiece' or anything but over 26 episodes, the series did a fabulous job of developing strong characters and relationships. I could only imagine how many different and wonderful directions the series could have gone in if a second season had been green lit.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Dennou Coil has barely any love. People harp at my for liking it but it's a great show. It's cute, I like its use of technology, and I like the half-virtual and half-actual life scenario.

I remember watching the first episode at Fanimecon because I was taking a resting break. I enjoyed it and ended up watching the whole series in a few days time.
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
No one seems to know about Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan :(

Sure, it's incredibly short, but it's hilarious as hell.
Dokuro-chan is one of those odd shows, it's really popular with a small sect of the hardcore crowd, but outside of that no one's ever watched it. (I saw the first episode and enjoyed it but never got around to watching the rest.)
Post by otakureview (47 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I really only liked Dokuro-chan for the first half, after that it got really old. Now, Magical Witch Punie-chan.... that's a series that is already being vastly unappreciated and it needs a full season... like now. *waits*
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel