TV Tokyo Opens Overseas Anime Department

Topic started by gia on Feb. 27, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 4 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Word at the Mainichi is that TV Tokyo has announced a new department for their company: one to manage its overseas anime affairs. It's currently being called the “Anime Department,” and it will focus on overseas sales of anime titles. Within the department will be three units, one each for operations, productions, and business.

So, what does that mean for us? Well, TV Tokyo has a deal with Crunchyroll for a bunch of its titles (Shugo Chara, Naruto, etc), but clearly they want to make sure they stay in the best possible position rather than relying solely on Crunchyroll. This may also clear the path for more simultaneous airings a la the aforementioned titles, possibly on sites other than CR, which those of you who aren't fond of the video streaming site may like.

All in all, this could make some users very happy...but what about TV Tokyo itself? The American economy isn't in great shape, and the American anime industry isn't above the status quo there. Obviously this is meant to target other overseas audiences as well, but the economic problem is generally global. If TV Tokyo chooses now to invest time and energy in pushing anime overseas and it fails due to poor timing, it could be a long time before anyone else considers doing the same.

So, we'll see.

Post by omo (113 posts) See mini bio Level 2
A little of nitpickery--just because the American industry and consumer numbers are in poor shape, it doesn't mean Japan's numbers are not  worse. (They are, by far.) Actually I'm a little wary of seeing that statement mentioned in popular coverage of news nowadays, coming from Japan. [/rant] Looking for foreign revenue streams are probably more important now than ever, even in today's volatile marketplace.

I hope this actually means streamlining TV Tokyo's operations in licensing so foreign licensees have an easier time dealing with them, regardless it's streaming media or traditional media distribution. Hopefully it's good news for the fans, anyways.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
omo: An excellent point, but for the sake of others reading, it's important to define 'worse.' Japan's numbers have dropped by a greater amount than the US's, but they're still probably higher than any other country's. I wish we could actually get these numbers; I'd be interested to see how the number of all foreign sales combined compares to Japan's these days.

That said, my concern is still that it may be a little late to be investing time and funds in building a department to seek more foreign revenue streams, because all of those streams are slowing down to varying degrees as a result of people cutting back on fun-time spending-- the venture's success may depend on how quickly the world economy perks up.

But of course I hope for the best and I hope we get more awesome anime quicker. <3
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel