Sentai gets the rights Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Topic started by macgetmalled on Sept. 2, 2012. Last post by macgetmalled 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by macgetmalled (13 posts) See mini bio Level 9
We are coming to America
We are coming to America

The Rundown

Sentai Filmworks announced on Saturday September 1st, at it Animaine panel. Three new titles. Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll and Letter Bee Season 1.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-01/sentai-filmworks-adds-penguindrum-ninja-scroll-film-letter-bee

Mawaru Penguindrum

No Idea
No Idea

Release Date - December: Blu-ray Disc and DVD

Overview From Anime Vice

Mawaru Penguindrum (or "Rolling Penguin Drum") is a weird, experimental, magical girl-type show by Ikuhara. The Takakura trio--consisting of brothers Kanba and Shoma, and their sister Himari--live in crippling poverty and have the threat hanging over their heads that Himari doesn't have much longer to live. One day, after a trip to the aquarium, Himari finally collapses dead on the floor. Just as the brothers grieve over their loss, Himari suddenly comes back to life.

Now the Takakuras have their sister again, alive and well. However, the same entity that gave Himari her life tells them her price: she wants the family to get her the "Penguin Drum." What is this object? What is the story behind the strange penguins that only their family can see? And what does the highly-animated transformation sequence have to do with anything?

"Also, This Trailer is Amazing" -

Ninja Scroll - Film

Oh, to be 10 years old with a dad, who thinks all cartoons are for kids and lets you rent Ninja Scroll. Good Times...
Oh, to be 10 years old with a dad, who thinks all cartoons are for kids and lets you rent Ninja Scroll. Good Times...

Writer Notes - I love Ninja Scroll. If there are three things that got me into Anime, Ninja Scroll was one of them.

Ninja Scroll will be on Blu-ray and DVD in December.

Overview From Anime Vice

Jubei must kill the Devils of Kimon to get the gold and one of the devils he has already killed before.

Ninja Scroll Trailer (NSFW) -

Letter Bee - Season 1

Tricky???????
Tricky???????

Coming to DVD in December as well.

Overview From Anime News Network

Apparently abandoned by his mother, orphan Lag Seeing is taken as a "letter" by "Letter Bee" Gauche Suede to a town where his aunt raises him. His affection and admiration for Gauche give Lag the ambition to become a Letter Bee himself, carrying mail through the dangerous wasteland between towns on his world. When he becomes a teenager, he makes the trip to the capital to take the examination to become a trainee Letter Bee. En route, he meets the strange, powerful girl-like creature Niche, who becomes his "dingo," a Letter Bee's travelling companion. Lag yearns to find his mother, and discover why she abandoned him, if she did.

Crunchyroll Trailer -

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

3 awesome releases, Penguindrum is one of the bet series that came out in recent years, i'm stoked on it's release.

If i'm not mistaken ninja scroll is celebrating a twenty years anniversary soon, Manga UK is releasing a special edition much like last year with Akira, maybe this got the special treatment as well.

Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@shels: I hope it gets a Special Edition here as well. The only real bummer here is that Sentai generally doesn't do Blu-Ray releases, which means that we won't get a Blu-Ray release for Ninja Scroll (something I wouldn't mind getting).

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@Count_Zero: I think just recently came out a new remastered bluray version of Ninja Scroll in Japan, sometimes i wonder why are there these re-releases of series on DVD, when the blu-ray is already available, sure it's a couple more bucks to license and work on the master, but the profit is also bigger, and the dvd has the adverse factor of being the same release some people already got previously

Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@shels: There was an episode of Anime News Network's podcast which discussed this, and, basically, the reason is that the "working on the master" side of things can be spendy - particularly if the people putting it out (Sentai in this case) doesn't have the facilities and resources to put out the Blu-Ray themselves. Further, anymore Blu-Ray releases require a separate contract to be negotiated with licensee and licencor to deal with the whole "Reverse Importation" BS.

Post by macgetmalled (13 posts) See mini bio Level 9

According to the Anime News Network article, Ninja Scrolls will be on Blu-ray and DVD. No mention of wither or not it will a special edition.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel