Sci-Fi UK

Topic started by EvilNiGHTS on Dec. 22, 2010. Last post by COSMIC_ADRIANA_2012 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by EvilNiGHTS (8 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Don't know if I'm alone here, but does anyone remember watching anime late on Saturday (and eventually Thursdays) nights on Sci-Fi UK? I got my first introduction to anime on this channel back in 1999 (sadly don't remember which movie) and was tuning in almost every week until they stopped broadcasting it in 2003 I think. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any other channel showing full length movies and OAVs in its place and a good chunk of that stuff was either never released on DVD here or is out of print. 

Anyway, I'm trying to compose a list of movies and series I first saw on that channel to aid me in tracking down what I can on DVD. Unfortunately I can't remember some of the titles or in some cases enough about the movies to Google them so any help would be appreciated. There are also a few titles that don't seem to have a page on the site (Blue Sonnet and Black Jack: The Movie for instance).
Post by johnjo (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3
i'm in the same kettle of fish with you here dude, im trying to find two anime movies, one where the guy  meets a chick thats an alien and its like victorian era and stuff, and the other is the once where the guy is like a demon and doesnt know it, and his dog gets killed and possesed by that demon and he starts fighting other demons, both anime's i seen on sci fi XD
@johnjo Not sure about the first one but I vaguely remember the second. Kid in high school, has an effeminate transfer student he knew beforehand who's into the occult (revealed in flashbacks). And yeah, the main protagonist gets attacked by a demon. His dog is killed and resurrected as a lion while his own latent demon powers are activated. Or something.

Of course I don't actually know what it's called, but I did see it. I think.
Post by Mike86UK (2 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Hey. I'm glad I found other people that are interested in this. I have very fond memories from when Sci-Fi UK ran their anime segment late nights on Thursdays. I remember watching every week for Blue Gender, Martian Successor Nadesico, Neon Genesis Evangelion. (can't remember if that was the order it ran in every night?) 
I can't remember exactly what was on Sci-Fi and what was on the sadly short-lived CNX channel.
I used to keep a list of most the stuff I watched on Sci-Fi but I can't find it anymore. :(         

Roujin Z - that was a pretty good anime movie, definitely on Sci-Fi.
Magic Knight Rayearth - pretty sure this was on Sci-Fi not CNX. I always thought it was a movie, but it may have been the 3 OVAs played back-to-back. 
Spriggan - not so sure whether this was Sci-Fi, not CNX. 
Dragon Half - not sure whether this was Sci-Fi or CNX either.

What's more confusing is that I remember watching anime on TV previous to this, but I'm sure I didn't have Sky at the time... did Channel 4 run anime for a short time in the evenings? 
The anime I remember watching were: Dirty Pair Flash and Burn Up (Burn Up Excess, i think) 

Edit: I just found a useful webpage that mentions Roujin-Z, Rayearth and Spriggan as having been aired on Sci-Fi UK 
http://www.honneamise.u-net.com/anime/animetv.html    

Edit:  
Gunbuster - Aim for the Top!  - this movie was near definitely on Sci-Fi. Was one of my favourite movies on there. 
Bounty Dog - only have vague memories of this film, but pretty sure that was Sci-Fi too.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@EvilNiGHTS said:
" @johnjo Not sure about the first one but I vaguely remember the second. Kid in high school, has an effeminate transfer student he knew beforehand who's into the occult (revealed in flashbacks). And yeah, the main protagonist gets attacked by a demon. His dog is killed and resurrected as a lion while his own latent demon powers are activated. Or something. Of course I don't actually know what it's called, but I did see it. I think. "
that movie is called Tokyo Revelation i believe
@Mike86UK said:

time... did Channel 4 run anime for a short time in the evenings? 

Channel 4 used to show OVA's and movies late friday and saturday nights. The studio ghibli films get shown on film 4 regular enough but thats all the anime that seems to be on UK telly these days beyond naruto and dragon ball on the cartoon channels.
Post by Kurohige (3,718 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@johnjo said:
" i'm in the same kettle of fish with you here dude, im trying to find two anime movies, one where the guy  meets a chick thats an alien and its like victorian era and stuff, and the other is the once where the guy is like a demon and doesnt know it, and his dog gets killed and possesed by that demon and he starts fighting other demons, both anime's i seen on sci fi XD "
I am in the same situation now lol
@Mike86UK: Thanks, added a few of yours to my list now that I recognise from there.   

Roujin Z - Remember this
Magic Knight Rayearth - Remember this
Spriggan - Have an idea on what this might have been, but not 100% sure 
Dragon Half - Can't say I remember this
Gunbuster - Aim for the Top!  - Remember this 
Bounty Dog -  Don't think I saw this

CNX was a weird one, wasn't it? I don't remember a huge amount of anime on there other than Cowboy Bebop (I'm discounting stuff like DBZ) but I mainly remember that channel for Adult Swim programming and subtitled Hong Kong movies.  

Channel 4 once did an event back in 2000-2001 I believe where they ran some OVAs for a night or two. With the participation of Jonathan Ross of all people (I think?). My memory on that is pretty hazy though. 
Also there was a number of Lupin The 3rd movies broadcast on there but I'm struggling to remember which is which.
@EvilNiGHTS said:
" @Mike86UK:   Channel 4 once did an event back in 2000-2001 I believe where they ran some OVAs for a night or two. With the participation of Jonathan Ross of all people (I think?). My memory on that is pretty hazy though.  "
Jonathan Ross is actually a massive Studio Ghibli fan
@Lemegeton300: That's true, but I think he's also a fan of Eastern cinema in general (just as well really), and that he hosted a dedicated block on one of the lesser BBC channels a few years ago. 

Maybe we should track down Jonathan Clements. I bet he'll know some stuff. 
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Back when BBC 4 had a Japan theme for about a month they would show Studio Ghibli films in random "today it is dubbed tomorrow it is subbed and after that Japanese with no subtitles, because fuck it." 
But really there hasn't been a good way to get into new shows casually in the UK since the age of the video rental store.
@damswedon: Lovefilm is probably as good as it gets. They still have a good number of titles released to DVD back in the early 2000-2003 which I think by now are completely out of print. It seems absolutely insane to me that you can't buy a new copy of e.g. Akira in this country and that some of this stuff hasn't even made it past VHS.  
Post by Mike86UK (2 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I've found out from a few sites and forums that Dirty Pair Flash and Burn Up Excess were shown on Sci-Fi UK, around 2003.
So I probably did see it on Sci-Fi UK, and not before that time on another channel like Channel 4. 
http://www.uk-anime.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5032 

Someone on the Sci-Fi UK forums tried to compose a list too, and it has among other things: Bounty Dog and Dirty Pair Flash... 
http://forums.scifi.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=528     

Spriggan - I can't remember too well,  but it involved lots of violent combat and something wierd to do with Noah's Ark.
Bounty Dog - I can't really remember well either... It was set on the Moon, with spies from Earth trying to learn details of some deadly secret project involving the dark side of the Moon. I don't think it was very good though. 
Dragon Half  - Hilariously funny two episode OVA, which was shown back-to-back. It was about a half-dragon half-human girl named Mink, who falls in love with a dragonslayer named Dick Saucer, and leads up to some crazy tournament she has to win. 
Maybe this one was actually on CNX instead still though.
hey, through a few hours of trolling sites,ive came across a few lists and such for you to review here they are :) 
 http://www.animejin.org.uk/ukfaq.txt
http://forums.scifi.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=528
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_of_the_1990s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_Force:_The_Ultimate_Collection#Issues
http://www.generalworks.com/databank/movie/anime_e.html
hey found out the anime i was looking for, was called orgus 2, :D, sci fi crossed with castles and shizz, also alien girl too :3 

Just found out Megazone 23 was one of them. Also pretty much impossible to get here.

Post by COSMIC_ADRIANA_2012 (5 posts) See mini bio Level 4

@EvilNiGHTS said:

@Mike86UK: Thanks, added a few of yours to my list now that I recognise from there. Roujin Z - Remember thisMagic Knight Rayearth - Remember thisSpriggan - Have an idea on what this might have been, but not 100% sure Dragon Half - Can't say I remember thisGunbuster - Aim for the Top! - Remember this Bounty Dog - Don't think I saw this CNX was a weird one, wasn't it? I don't remember a huge amount of anime on there other than Cowboy Bebop (I'm discounting stuff like DBZ) but I mainly remember that channel for Adult Swim programming and subtitled Hong Kong movies. Channel 4 once did an event back in 2000-2001 I believe where they ran some OVAs for a night or two. With the participation of Jonathan Ross of all people (I think?). My memory on that is pretty hazy though.

Gunbuster was a good one !

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel