Recommendations: Specific Requirements

Topic started by N7_Normandy on Jan. 18, 2011. Last post by sickVisionz 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by N7_Normandy (36 posts) See mini bio Level 9
   In particular, I like my anime to have a dramatic feel to it.  I don't mind ocassional moments of levity or comedy unless they make it harder for you to take the anime seriously.  For example, I enjoyed the more serious moments of Love Hina, but all the antics and ludicrous situations made it really difficult to respect the series as a whole.  I'm looking for anime with a more gripping and emotional feel to it. 

Let me also note that character development is paramount.

Titles I've loved:
Clannad
Koi Kaze
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Kaze no Stigma 
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Speed Grapher

Titles I've not enjoyed
Fruits Basket
Witchblade 

Others I've Seen
Love Hina
Samurai 7
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
You should check out Eureka 7 and Toradora.  One's an action-romance the other is a school romance with comedic elements.  Both get very melodramatic in their second halves.   Also, Last Exile has a great story although I think the character development was just a bit underplayed for my taste.  I'm a softy and enjoy getting all weepy at the end of a series.  I did with the first two I mention here, but not so with Last Exile.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great show, though.  You might like Read or Die: The TV, too.  It moves at a good pace with an involved mystery.  The end might be a bit perplexing, though.  
I was thinking about buying the Read or Die box set that came out today but $160 seems a bit steep.

Some good recommendations.  I'll definitely check those out.

Looking for more recommendations
Post by Adanadhel (124 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Hmmm, I couldn't quite get a grasp of what exactly you're looking for, so I'll focus on the dramatic feeling point. 
As far as drama goes, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, ef - tale of melodies and its sequel ef - a tale of memories (actually, the sequel is so much better than the prequel, but it's advisable to watch melodies before memories to better understanding) are amazing romantic dramas. Much more than Clannad, Kanon and other animes from this genre IMO. 
Another amazing drama is Basilisk (which I reviewed here: http://www.animevice.com/basilisk/11-5319/user-reviews/?review_id=764 ) You might also enjoy Ergo Proxy. ;D
@Adanadhel said:
" Hmmm, I couldn't quite get a grasp of what exactly you're looking for, so I'll focus on the dramatic feeling point. 
As far as drama goes, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, ef - tale of melodies and its sequel ef - a tale of memories (actually, the sequel is so much better than the prequel, but it's advisable to watch melodies before memories to better understanding) are amazing romantic dramas. Much more than Clannad, Kanon and other animes from this genre IMO. 
Another amazing drama is Basilisk (which I reviewed here: http://www.animevice.com/basilisk/11-5319/user-reviews/?review_id=764 ) You might also enjoy Ergo Proxy. ;D "
thanks for the recommendations. 
Post by AURON570 (539 posts) See mini bio Level 15
those are pretty broad specifications ;P. Anyways I second Last Exile and Eureka Seven. 

Also Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Time of Eve come to mind. I recommend them partly because these two were also recommended to me through anime vice, and I enjoyed both of them very much.
Thanks.

I was wondering about the series Chobits-does it seem like something that would cater to my tastes.
Anyone else?
Post by ronat1 (127 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@n7_normandy:  
If you enjoyed Kaze no Stigma check out Shakugan no Shana, it has many things in common (their protagonist looks pretty much the same) but its like ten times better, I´m not kidding. If you kinda like mecha you should give a try to Gurren Lagann.  You´ll also like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (only the first season) and Toradora!. If you want to, try looking at this list I made, with all the anime´s I´ve watched and a little description next to them, you may find something interesting there. 

http://www.animevice.com/profile/ronat1/anime-i-ve-seen-and-i-wanna-see/121-2012/
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@n7_normandy: Hmmm, serious, gripping and emotional with lots of character development and light on light-hearted stuff.  These titles come to mind:  

Top 5 Imo

The Rest

* for free on Crunchyroll 
** for free on Hulu
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel