Recommendations for historical/samurai/mature audiences?

Topic started by TatsurouXIII on Feb. 5, 2012. Last post by PenguinDust 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by TatsurouXIII (2 posts) See mini bio Level 5

Hello. I'm kinda new to actually watching anime so I need some recommendations. I just finished the amazing Shigurui and am looking for similar stuff. I'm interested in this kind of historical, intense and violent stuff, however no supernatural or kiddy stuff. Any suggestions?

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Hmm...maybe you can check out Rurouni Kenshin.

Post by DocHaus (935 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@TatsurouXIII: Try Blade of the Immortal. Preferably the manga if you can get it, but the anime is pretty good from what I remember. Also Sword of the Stranger is alright. If you don't mind reading manga, I would highly recommend Lone Wolf and Cub and Vagabond.

Post by takashichea (13,104 posts) See mini bio Level 25
  • House of Five Leaves - I only heard of it. I can't tell you what's good about it. I'm sorry about that.
  • Samurai Champloo - It has connection to Japanese culture, history with a bit of satire, and conflicts with bushido.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I've heard good things about Otogi Zoshi although it might not be quite what you're looking for since only half the series takes place in 972 Kyoto. The second part is modern day Japan and there's some reincarnation involved. Other than that, nothing overly supernatural that I know of.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I want to say House of Five Leaves but its not particularly violent or intense. Its mature like "for adults" but not mature like blood and gore. The ruroni kenshin movie is really good. Samurai Champloo is nice but its really goofy on a regular basis.
Post by IsaiahPLG (2 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Samurai 7 is pretty cool. also Naruto is ninjas but its still pretty cool.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@IsaiahPLG: Naruto can be violent and sometimes (although kinda rare) intense, but it definitely isn't historical and and it's very supernatural/kiddy.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@IsaiahPLG said:

Samurai 7 is pretty cool. also Naruto is ninjas but its still pretty cool.

Yeah, Samurai 7 is cool, but it's not historical and it's filled with more super-powered moves than an all Jet Li free-for-all. Robot samurai, floating battleships, katanas that cut through those gigantic flying bases, etc... Very enjoyable show, though. Lots of violence and not too juvenile if the OT doesn't mind the abundance of supernatural powers.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel