Recomend Anime for a guy who likes...

Topic started by sora_thekey on March 3, 2010. Last post by Superevil225 4 years, 9 months ago.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Well my favorite Anime is Digimon (all of them)...

but I love the High School genre... combined with action and comedy..

Loved The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 
K-On and Please Teacher!

any anime along those lines you could recommend?
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
High School:  

• School Days
  • Clannad
  • Kimi ni Todoke
  • Toradora!
  • Ichigo 100%
  • Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
  • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 
  • Full Metal Panic (High School + Mecha)
  • 11 Eyes 

Similar to Digimon: 

• Monster Rancher
  • Medabots
  • Shaman King

Similar to Haruhi:  

• Kannagi
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • Shakugan No Shana

Similar to K-on! 

• Sora no woto
  • Bamboo Blade
  • Saki

Haven't watched Please Teacher so I can't really say about that. 
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
please twins, set in the same universe

for school comedy try school rumble
@cfatalis:
@Black_Rose: Thanks will check some out!
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
The ones mentioned above are all really good, i would say go for  Shakugan no Shana, School Rumbe and FMP.
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Could try Great Teacher Onizuka too. I highly recommend Shaman King, it's one of my all time favorite anime.
Post by Kelleth (7,798 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Black_Rose said:
"
Similar to Digimon: 

• Monster Rancher
  • Medabots
  • Shaman King
  "
add Mon Colle Knights and Flint to the list and it perfect.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@sora_thekey: For you... I'm gonna say utena. Its still high school, but its got action and comedy down, as well as some really rich characters/situations I think you'll enjoy.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@sora_thekey said:

"  but I love the High School genre... combined with action and comedy "

Has to be full metal panic Fumoffu

Post by Liminality (173 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@macker33 said:

" @sora_thekey said:

"
Exactly. The main Full Metal Panic! is just as good but in a different way.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena has a very deep story and SO many metaphors.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@sora_thekey:
So, did you start watching anything else recently?
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I saw Asu no Yoichi this past week and you might like that.  The characters are all high school students and it has the prerequisite "summer festival" episode.  It's a harem comedy about a young samurai who comes down from the mountain where he was raised to study with a sister-dojo in the city.  It's a fish out of water story that is never too serious.  The show was only 12 episodes long so it's not too big a commitment.  

Another martial arts series that took place at a high school was Tenjou Tenge.  This was a 24 episode series with a couple of OVAs about a pair of sisters who run a martial arts club at school.  I liked it well enough, but about a third of the way in the series sidetracks off on a long back story and so when it wraps up it feels incomplete. 

Finally, there is Yu Yu Hakusho.  This is a tournament/demon fighter action comedy that sometimes takes place at high school, although I will admit that the majority of it seems to take place in the ring.  The protagonist is a high school thug who becomes an enforcer for the after-life (so to speak) and hunts down demonic criminals while still trying to maintain a psudo-normal life.  His sidekick "Kuwabara" is really the more interesting character in my opinion.  I think there are 112 episode.  I thought it was pretty good throughout but kind of wraps up too quickly and feels unsatisfying but not to the point that would keep me from recommending it.  In fact, everything through to the end of the "Dark Tournament" is pretty damn good. 
@John_Martone said:
" @sora_thekey: So, did you start watching anything else recently?"

I tried Sora no Woto... but I got bored after 5 minutes... 
I am watching Monster Rancher... I'm on episode 8 (Not as good as I remember it to be)

I am trying to catch up on Pokemon... I'm on episode 34 of the 2nd season (long way to go) 
Eureka Seven... I am not getting the hype, of course I've only seen the first episode 
I am watching Teen Titans again (now in chronological order) 
I watched the first episode of Maria Hollic... I don't think it's for me!  
Haven't finished Special A.. I'm on episode 6

Oh and the highlight is that yesterday I bought Ponyo! I loved it (I've watched it twice in the last 24 hours)... thinking of doing a review on it!

Sadly I haven't found that anime that has me watching episode and episode and episode, like Haruhi and K-On! did.  
Any more sugegstions basing it on this

@macker33 said:
"@sora_thekey said:

"

Woah!  
Didn't see this before!

I think this is the next anime I'm watching!

Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I My Me Strawberry Eggs! 
Ouran High School Host Club
Baka to Test Shokanju
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
You cant go too wrong with fumoffu,one or two episodes arent as good as the others but its well worth it,

Eureka seven was a let down,,it wasnt bad but it wasnt particularily brilliant either,,the 50 episodes could easily have been squeezed into 26.
If you are able to sit through a long anime i suggest you watch GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka,,,,43 episodes and the main character Onizuka has to go down as one of the greats,,the first to strike you will be the poor artwork but that picks up,,really satisfing anime.
@macker33 said:
"Eureka seven was a let down,,it wasnt bad but it wasnt particularily brilliant either,,the 50 episodes could easily have been squeezed into 26."

I am thinking it was too much hype... 

What about Monster?
Any good?
Post by TheDrifter (663 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I'd recommend Hellsing. :P
Post by sasuke0447 (174 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@sora_thekey: 

historys strongest dicsiple kenichi hes goin to highschool has comedy and definitly action i am hooked on it on episode 31 and only have been watchin it for a lil while i love it
Post by ThePsychoGamer (1,835 posts) See mini bio Level 10
School Rumble, Incredibly funny and one nice action scene mimicking a war movie  
Honey and Clover, another funny one, though there is a long and boring story ark about one character and his love triangle.
Doki Doki School Hours, kinda like Azumanga, but not as funny
Slayers, a funny fantasy anime
Great Teacher Onizuka, funny anime that focuses on an eccentric teacher.
Flame Labrinth, very perverted, about a high school guy who's obsessed with samurai's getting involved in a big hist at a rich friend's house
Negima!? (the remake) Good story and action, genially funny, unlike the orginal anime, great art style
Mahromatic. pervert and funny, about a andriod who decides to spend the rest of her operating time working as a maid, great twist at the end.
Compiller: This is about a 2D world that finds the exstance of a 3D world, they lable it as a treat and send to program to destroy it (these programs take the form of two female humans) but the frograms fall in love with two collage students and betray there world. The first episode is a torrent of jokes' a lot very funny. The second episode only has one real joke, and the whole episode is spent building up to that joke, though it's not very funny. the third and final episde is more of an action style. Nearly impossible to find the dub version of this.
Demon Hunter Kocho Another perverted one, this one is about a group of collage ghost hunters. 
AMV Hell just look it up

Well that's enough for now, good luck finding some of these titles
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel