Reccommend me some new Anime movies

Topic started by TripMasterMunky on Aug. 26, 2011. Last post by AURON570 3 years ago.
Post by TripMasterMunky (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

So...I just watched Summer Wars....and now I'm in the mood to watch some anime again. I'm looking for something similar to Summer Wars in the sense that it takes place in a modern Japan setting - something based in reality. I don't need crazy robots/cyborgs or anything completely out there like that. I'm okay if it's some sort of semi-sci-fi stuff like in Summer Wars or Girl Who Leapt Through Time - as long as it's still sort of based in reality like those movies.

Sorry to keep mentioning the same movies, but I just visited Japan, so I really enjoy anime that just show modern Japanese life whether it be urban or rural. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. And I'm a sucker for love/romance stories. I prefer movies as I don't have time to watch a bunch of series.

Thanks.

Post by MrASSH0LE (2,328 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Princess Monoke
Spirited Away (visually captivating)
Bleach movies ( pretty good if your into the serie)
Sword of the stranger
Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@tripmastermunky: Millenium Actress is a Miyazaki flick about the life of an actress over the years. It gets fantastic at times though the story is somewhat grounded in a realistic setting.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Any Miyazaki probably. Those are always crowd pleasers.
Post by eldiax (130 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Superevil225 said:
Any Miyazaki probably. Those are always crowd pleasers.
Just avoid Grave of the Fireflies, unless you want to be depressed for a month or so.
Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@DocHaus said:

@tripmastermunky: Millenium Actress is a Satoshi Kon flick about the life of an actress over the years. It gets fantastic at times though the story is somewhat grounded in a realistic setting.

;)

You could try some other works from Satoshi Kon: "Tokyo Godfathers", "Paprika" or "Perfect Blue" or some less reconizible Ghibli films but with a modern japan feel like "Only Yesterday" or "Ocean Waves".
 With any movie from Makoto Shinkai you can't go wrong either: "5 cms per second", "The place promised in our early days" or "Voice of the Stars" ;)
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Millennium Actress is good although a bit depressing.
Paprika is wondrous and maybe a bit bizarre.
Tokyo Godfathers is quite good, too. 
The Place Promised in Our Early Days is set in modern Japan although an alternate timeline.

It should also be noted that the Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya appeared last year.  They might be a bit too outlandish for your requirements.  Look online for some trailers to decide.
Post by The_NHK_Man (5 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Whisper of the Heart is a good Ghibli film from the mid-1990s.  Also maybe you should keep an eye out for a new Ghibli film called Kokuriko Zaka Kara.  It came out in Japan last month, I haven't seen it, but it looks interesting.  And like everyone else has stated check out anything by Satoshi Kon.
Post by tearsinrain (6 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Grave of the Fireflies is fantastic though a real tearjerker.  Any Miyazaki film of course.  Akira and the Ghost in a Shell films
Post by AURON570 (566 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Anything by Makoto Shinkai, especially 5 Centimeters per Second I can personally vouch for.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel