Question About How Anime Show Direction Works

Topic started by ashogo on Dec. 26, 2011. Last post by Dr_Ventum 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by ashogo (14 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I'm trying to fill in a wiki entry over on Screened about the Persona 4 anime, but I'm getting a bit confused about how to credit directors. I'd heard that Seiji Kishi was directing the series and so added him to every episode, but then when I looked at this ANN page for the show I saw that each episode was directed by someone else. So is Kishi basically just overseeing the series as a whole, with various directors focusing more specifically on individual episodes? That's what it seems like, just want to make sure.

This is different from American shows as far as I can tell, which have no "overall" director, just individual directors for each episode.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

You have a series director that is in command of everything and is the person held responsible for divvying out tasks and making sure everything gets done. Episode directors do the same, except their domain is individual episodes.

Also, why are you adding anime to Screened when there is a Whiskey Media site that is dedicated to cataloging anime?

Post by ashogo (14 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@sickVisionz: screened covers both movies and tv shows, so I'm adding p4 to help create a more complete database.

Post by takashichea (12,400 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

One of the main issues I have between the territories of Anime Vice and Screened and other sites. I used to think American animations were covered by Screened, but I found out that they do cover anime. For Comic Vine, they cover manga books. I don't know if Anime Vice can extend their boundaries beyond Japanese animation. The only non anime things I see are Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Ben 10.

I just wish what is covered and not is clear for all Whiskey Media sites. All the wiki editors are spread thin which make its harder to band together.

Sorry for being off tangent.

As for the topic, Superevil225 and SickVisionZ got the answer already. It's up to you to decide how many to credit. For Anime Vice, I usually have the original concept (mangaka or creator), director, music, animation director, and key animator. For Screened, they narrowed it down three groups: Director, Writers, and Producers. Luckily, you can write in the space to specify types. I'm new to Screened.

Usually each episode is directed by different people, but there's one main guy that calls all the shots and what not. To give an example, the BBC series Sherlock is considered to be created and written by Steven Moffat. But out of the 3 episodes Moffat only wrote one. He's like the head honcho that approves each script.

In the case of the Persona anime, it is common for there to be the main director/creator, but he may not have actually directed all of the episodes.

By Superevil225

Post by Dr_Ventum (162 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Manga on CV and Anime on Screened really does seem a bit redundant.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Dr_Ventum: The really unfortunate thing is that the Screened system/layout is better for cataloging anime than AV's and the Comic Vine system/layout is better for cataloging manga than AV's...

Post by Dr_Ventum (162 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@sickVisionz said:

@Dr_Ventum: The really unfortunate thing is that the Screened system/layout is better for cataloging anime than AV's and the Comic Vine system/layout is better for cataloging manga than AV's...

Ugh, this poor site never catches a break. :(

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel