Overrated animes

Topic started by Black_Rose on Dec. 7, 2008. Last post by Chef_Banchou 1 week, 5 days ago.
Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Cowboy Bebop

FLCL

Elfen Lied

Berserk

Not bad, just overrated.

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Akira. I felt like a traitor to anime fans everywhere when I thought 'Huh, well that was boring'. Same with Ghost in the Shell.

I've seen Toradora! get a lot of praise and I thought it was mediocre. I also never got into Blood+ and that seems to be well thought of.

Post by WatanabeKazuma (7 posts) See mini bio Level 5

@Neurotic said:

Akira. I felt like a traitor to anime fans everywhere when I thought 'Huh, well that was boring'. Same with Ghost in the Shell.

You'll get over it. I mean, I feel similarly about Cowboy Bebop. I think being subject to the frenzy over the series for so long must have had some sort of adverse effect on me. It was probably idolized to such a degree, that the reality was never going to live up to those sort of expectations.

The music was good though, damn good!

Post by Rabbitearsblog (21 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Pokemon

Yu-Gi-Oh!

One Piece

Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Dragonball

Post by KingOfAsh (1,390 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Code Geass are dementedly overrated.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,805 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Dragon Ball, it's like the only one that non anime fans actually know besides Naruto and Pokemon. For its time it was phenomenol, but it's after effect is just too much...
Post by DBZ_universe (15,734 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Naruto

Post by nishi99 (1,725 posts) See mini bio Level 11

One Piece

Post by Dream (7,746 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Haven't done this in a while. Outside of Eva and the usual shounen anime fodder (DBZ and HST titles), have some additions for what I'd find overrated.

-Any KyoAni/ Key title involving a guy and several gals he must help (Kanon, Air, Clannad)= Emotionally manipulative tripe involving male lead helping several gals having tragic dilemmas of some sort and the lead helping them out, often with fantasy-oriented plot devices. Many of these gals have no connection to the main plot of the series, fill certain archetypes of dating sims and are only there as otaku-bait.

-Code Geass R2- I'll concede that the first season was decent despite it's later episodes getting a bit too over-the-top with its antics. But R2 takes the Narm of the first season's later developments and drags it out for just about the entire 26-episode run of the series. Why some would find the craziness of R2 to be some sort of masterpiece still baffles me.

-Toradora- I've seen too many rom-coms with a nice guy/ tsundere dynamic being hammered out. I fail to see why so many people consider this to be a unique title.

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- Just because it more closely follows the manga doesn't necessarily make it better than the 2003 anime if this reboot follows a more conventional shounen series plot setup.

-Berserk Film Trilogy/ Eva Rebuild Series- Not a huge fan of compilated film adaptations to TV anime/ manga source material since they take away much of the fleshing out and suspense you can get from the buildup of a title's major elements which says a lot as I did enjoy Berserk's TV anime adaptation and even while I find it overrated, I'd prefer Eva and End of Eva over the Rebuild series since the original series actually took its time with doing buildup of its infamous narrative moments.

Post by AnimeDefender (2,662 posts) See mini bio Level 12

People will have different prefences, everyone has a different opinion, like mine I think Dragon Ball is the most awesomest series of all time, but other's find it overrated. Everyone will think some Anime are overrated, thus all Anime is overrated because some people think some Animes are overrated, but everyone thinks there is atleast one Anime that is overrated. Now this......

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,986 posts) See mini bio Level 15
One Piece. People seriously act like its the greatest piece of fiction ever created. I just don't see it.
Post by P3IN (330 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Death note

Bleach

Attack on Titan

Naruto

Dbz

One piece

Post by Kobra678 (3,238 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Sword Art Online definitely.

Post by EraserCannon (522 posts) See mini bio Level 9

One Piece - Overrated although it had its moments

Bleach - Complete and utter shit

Sword Art Online - I don't think I need to explain

Attack on Titan - Meh tbh

Death Note

Code Gayass

Toradora

Pokemon

DBZ ( DB was great though )

Shippuden ( Part 1 Naruto was good, no complaints there )

Fairy Tail - just lol

Haruhi Bitchimaya - God damn this series is an utter piece of shit, the only good thing about this series was the movie which was fucking brilliant

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hellsing

Toriko - It's a pain to watch this show tbh

Post by KingOfAsh (1,390 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@EraserCannon said:

One Piece - Overrated although it had its moments

Bleach - Complete and utter shit

Sword Art Online - I don't think I need to explain

Attack on Titan - Meh tbh

Death Note

Code Gayass

Toradora

Pokemon

DBZ ( DB was great though )

Shippuden ( Part 1 Naruto was good, no complaints there )

Fairy Tail - just lol

Haruhi Bitchimaya - God damn this series is an utter piece of shit, the only good thing about this series was the movie which was fucking brilliant

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hellsing

Toriko - It's a pain to watch this show tbh

I actually agree with almost all of this

Post by Sonata (35,428 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@AnimeDefender said:

People will have different prefences, everyone has a different opinion, like mine I think Dragon Ball is the most awesomest series of all time, but other's find it overrated. Everyone will think some Anime are overrated, thus all Anime is overrated because some people think some Animes are overrated, but everyone thinks there is atleast one Anime that is overrated. Now this......

QFT that is why I never rate an anime a 10 out of 10 it doesn't really exist lol

@Sonata: QFT?

Post by Acura_Max (2,350 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@AnimeDefender: It means quoted from the truth.

@Acura_Max: OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooh!!!!!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel