No new ideas in anime?

Topic started by gamebelongtous on Nov. 18, 2010. Last post by SilverGalford 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by gamebelongtous (9 posts) See mini bio Level 11
So i posted this topic in another anime based forum, and i was just wondering what the general views here would be.

I suppose this would cover manga and other mediums also.

So one of the things that i had and sometimes still have trouble with in anime is the over use of some themes for shows.

Theres the high school miss-hap rom com stuff
The overly mindless fan service stuff
The overly camp or homo erotic blurring of sexuality stuff
Gundum rip offs
School girl samurai
Otaku overcoming this
lone wanderer battling evil
blah blah blah

Its not to say that these ideas don't have merit, they have been used in some of the most loved anime of all time, But more often then not they are just easy themes or basis for shows to take advantage of anothers success.

It just feels like a lot of the anime available these days has been reproduced a lot over the last 20 years and now its become. Wet and diluted.

So im just wondering what good ideas you have for shows you guys would like to see. Dont worry if it sounds a bit simple or strange. Whatever you come up with is good.
You never know maybe someone out there will see one and make it into reality.
Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I don't think there's too many new stories to be told in any medium.  What I look for more than uniqueness is quality.  A unique story doesn't mean anything other than that it's unique.  You can be super crappy in your own unique way.  If it's a good story though, well it's good and that's always a positive no matter what the circumstances are.
Post by SamJaz (13,023 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Hey, if we knew the new story, we'd be telling it.

The business is in the new spin. Look at Code Geass. If Suzaku was the main character, then Lelouch would be an outright Villain, yet in Code Geass, he's the protagonist. New spin!
Post by Apollo (341 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@gamebelongtous: Should it be new(2010) anime?
I think this year was a rather lackluster in uniqueness. I can advise some good shows from the previous years though.
Post by N7_Normandy (36 posts) See mini bio Level 9
At this point in time, given the number of years that people have been telling and writing stories, it's not surprising that it'd be difficult to come up with a completely unique premise for an anime.  Of course, this is the same in every story telling medium.  What really matters is execution and those special points of difference that really make one show worth watching over another.  For the most part(this is not true in all cases), I could care less about the premise of a show.  What I care about is characters, their development, and how they interact with others.  A truly great  anime is one that makes you care deeply about a character. 
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
yeah it has been a while since there was a genuinely new idea. i was looking through anime on a dvd rental site today and almost every 2nd show involved either robots/demons or the supernatural.  but like the poster above said i think whats set anime apart these days is the characters. no matter how unoriginal a shows setting or plot can be, well written characters with real depth is what separates the good from the bad
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Theres the high school miss-hap rom com stuff
The overly mindless fan service stuff
The overly camp or homo erotic blurring of sexuality stuff
Gundum rip offs
School girl samurai
Otaku overcoming this
lone wanderer battling evil
blah blah blah  

when this is going to change 
Post by EquitasInvictus (332 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@SilverGalford: I feel like with the way the anime industry appears to work, that it would change when the BluRay and DVD sales for those formulas stop generating them so much revenue. 

They're easy for animation studios to produce without risking too much investment money and manpower resources. If you think about it, there's about twenty new anime shows for every season, and most of them are usually 12 episodes long. All of those shows make their money with the 3-or-4 volume BluRay and DVD sales for each season's shows, and that usually determines its success and whether the animation studio would be done with the series thereafter. If the anime production was only slated for a single season, sales may also determine whether or not they want to continue milking it with second seasons and perhaps even anime movies. (The Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, with two seasons and a movie thus far is a good example of this, although I would more so consider this an exception to the rule because I especially appreciate it compared with other franchises.) Also note that it's based on a light novel and not actually what one would call an "original anime" - a lot of the problem with those aforementioned formulas is that they're not only the formulas for producing anime, but the source material (light novels, manga) of those anime as well.  

So perhaps the problem might not only be with anime but with the manga and light novels they're based on as well. I feel like animation studios similarly love adaptations as much as they love formulas due to how they can judge the success of their adaptation roughly on the success of the source material. Also, they can usually pull off an even lower quality adaptation and still make a killing in profits without having to put as much effort, especially when there's multiple seasons involved. I think the overall quality of The Familiar of Zero's anime, for example, which has three seasons so far, might be a good case example of this trend of reduced quality over time, as some might argue. I feel J.C. Staff is best at this kind of stuff, since up to this point of time they've done multiple seasons of adaptations such as The Familiar of Zero as I just mentioned, Shakugan no Shana and more recently the To Aru... franchise. 

As such, if we want good, original anime, we'll have to trust the animation studios to either start experimenting with new ideas or get a new load of young and ambitious talent. That or their current staffs must face some sort of adversity or come under scrutiny somehow such that they'll be forced to do better. Neon Genesis Evangelion's original anime came out of Hideaki Anno just having descended into depression after a series of flops (which were more the fault of original concept holders being unoriginal with what the projects they handed him prior to him doing NGE.)
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@gamebelongtous: Baccano!, Durarara!!, Dolls, Code Geass, 07-Ghost, and Gundam 00 were all amazing. Sure Gundam 00 was another of the Gundam series, but it was still very good. Same with all the other ones and they came out in the last five years or so. You just have to search for the good ones.
Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@EquitasInvictus:  I blame fans.  100% fans.  These animations studios are businesses.  When they go on a limb and make more artistic works or works of more merit than a fanservice harem and they flop commercially, it sends a message that 1) these shows won't be successful and 2) that people aren't even interested in them, or at least not interested enough to watch on TV or purchase.  If you want to have an impact on what's made, buy the type of anime you want to see them making, support the simulcasts, watch em on TV, etc.  If enough people do that, these companies will have proof in their hands that there is worthwhile consumer interest in these shows and that they can be commercially viable projects.  

I'd also argue that it's not cheaper or easier to produce these shows.  It's not like fanservice shows only get 7 frames of animation per second while more serious shows get 14.  J.C. Staff is a pretty terrible example of a company that milks shows and makes them crap over time.  The latest Shana OVAs completely blow the animation quality of the previous shows out the water and the second season did the same to the first and they're both liked by fans of the series.  J.C. Staff gets noticeably better with every show they do and it's not like they started off as low quality studio.  They make a lot of quality shows, whether it's niche like Aoi Hana or something super popular like the shows you listed.  I'd list a different studio as an example of making shows worse and worse as time goes on.
Post by EquitasInvictus (332 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@sickVisionz: I agree that it'd be the fans' fault, your support for that is spot on.  

While I agree that animation-wise producing adaptations may not be cheaper or easier, I'd still say the directors and writers have their work laid out for them from the source material. All they have to do is figure out how to organize the source material into an anime season - I'm sure this would not be as demanding on them on this end compared with an original anime. I'd say it's a lot easier to figure out the pacing of an anime being adapted from some volumes of manga than trying to pace an entirely new story.

And I'll admit that the context by which I mentioned J.C. Staff was bad. I should have said that they're "the best at producing formulaic adaptations," since that one point about The Familiar of Zero that preceded it is really only my gripe on that particular franchise's adaptation and not representative of my overall opinion of J.C. Staff's adaptations as whole - I'm actually a big fan of everything else they've adapted thus far, although To Aru II has been a mixed bag for me during its latest arc's conclusion. The latest Shana OVAs were very well done and I am in fact looking forward to them seeing Shana to conclusion.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@EquitasInvictus: i mean,yeah i know they have the money to do it and everything, but using too much girls ,school,short skirts and fan service is tiresome sometimes.so without that anime is not anime?
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel