new to anime...

Topic started by Jewel on Feb. 3, 2009. Last post by Iju 3 weeks, 2 days ago.
Post by lordhaseo (2,509 posts) See mini bio Level 7
yorro said:
NOT all Anime fit to the appeal of everyone, even if you love a specific genre.Best Swordfights:Samurai Champloo - Pure ... [more]
WHO ARE YOU!?
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I would say that Cowboy Bebop would draw the biggest audience
Post by Gundampilotspaz (28 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I'm surprised to see so many people suggest Samurai Champloo. the show just left an awful taste in my mouth. I couldn't stand it. It has all the style of Cowboy Bebop without any of the substance to back it up.
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I would suggest:

Dragonball Z
Naruto + Shippuuden
Bleach
Minami-ke
Gundam Wing
Ah my Buddah (Ecchi)
Bludgeoning angel Dokuro Chan

Post by ThePsychoGamer (1,835 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Gantz was pretty good, but full of gore, probably the best thriller I've seen

Afro Samurai, also full of blood but a good samurai anime.

When they Cry, this is a psychological horror that actually had me scared a few times (a very hard thing to do)

I'd recommend the Hellsing OVA instead of the original.

I also recommend staying away from the original Negima! and instead go for the remake Negima!? (funimation has it as season 2) The story in the new one actually has some depth and it also has a lot of funny jokes (as apposed to the originals 2 funny moments)

Paprika: This is a great thriller, This also gets my highest recommendation for fans of Miyazaki's work (not a Miyazaki movie but has the feel of one)

Scraped Princess: this action anime is about a girl on the run from a religious group who believes she will destroy the world this mid evil anime also features some good mech battles

Narima Daikon Brothers: this anime musical is random, catchy and entertaining

Magical Shopping Arcade: This is a great parody anime that actually tied all the paradys together well

thats all for now

Post by Sonata (35,690 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I seconded Magical Shopping Arcade it is Hilarious,might watch it right now:)
Post by Namida (8 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Some I would reccomend:

• Clannad
• Natsu no Arashi!
• Yu Yu Hakusho
• Spirited Away
• Toradora!
• Hellsing
• 5 Centimeters Per Second
• .Hack// series
Post by MsDiva (6 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Well I'm a bit of a ol' schooler, lol. So some of the ones I remember getting me into interested in anime a lot of them time I didn't realize what it was, like Speed Racer & Voltron (...yeah I'm old as hell, lol). But I was kid growing up in the mid 80s and s*** then so I wouldn't count that as my true exposure. 

But what really broke me in truly (when I got older):
Dragonball/Dragaonball Z (good for the young ones) 
Yu Yu Hakusho 
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Trigun
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Big O
Ghost in the Shell (series & movies) 
Samurai Champloo

Those are the ones that lead me into more of the things I look at now like Bleach, Afro Samurai. Mind you, not all of these are kids (Akira, GITS, Afro Samurai, and FLCL definitely) but if you're a bit older and you want something interesting those are a nice start, I think. But to each is own :)
Post by Revin (24 posts) See mini bio Level 1
A good comedy anime, even if a bit kiddish, would have to be "Keroro Gunsou" If you enjoy physical humor, i can almost guarantee that you'll like this one =)
Post by Emanuela95 (8 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I think a god anime not to start with but once you watch one or two other animes is Bleach. I really enjoy watching that anime and it was also my first. And i deeply enjoy watching it. New episodes are still coming out and if you enjoy supernaturel and action with adventure. I think that you will enjoy it as well.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I always, ALWAYS recommend Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
mmm, if you like comedy take gto, is jackass in japan, but it have some moral value as well
Post by SamFury (122 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Higurashi, atleast the first season is a must watch
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Has to be Full metal panic? Fumoffu,,,seriously,if they can get to the end of that and still say they dont like anime then there is absolutely no hope for them ever.

You might just as well ask what anime should they not watch,if they saw it they would never watch anime again,easy again,excel saga.Worst anime ever.

I'm really suprised nobody has mentioned samurai x,trust and betrayal,thats only 4 episodes long.
Post by Luffy (166 posts) See mini bio Level 7
It's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed Eyeshield 21
 I don't get why so many people don't know about it, but Basquash just had its last episode and damn that is a good ass anime.  It's like Eureka 7 with basketball o_0
Post by sinxism (348 posts) See mini bio Level 9
  • School rumble
  • Death Note
  • Hajime no ippo
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@macker33 said:
" Has to be Full metal panic? Fumoffu,,,seriously,if they can get to the end of that and still say they dont like anime then there is absolutely no hope for them ever.  You might just as well ask what anime should they not watch,if they saw it they would never watch anime again,easy again,excel saga.Worst anime ever.   I'm really suprised nobody has mentioned samurai x,trust and betrayal,thats only 4 episodes long. "
Eh, I wouldn't recommend Fumoffu just like that, they'd have to be familiar with FMP! before watching that. 

Plus, it's average compared to the main series, or other higher quality comedies. 
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Black_Rose said:

" @macker33 said:

" Has to be Full metal panic? Fumoffu,,,seriously,if they can get to the end of that and still say they dont like anime then there is absolutely no hope for them ever.  You might just as well ask what anime should they not watch,if they saw it they would never watch anime again,easy again,excel saga.Worst anime ever.   I'm really suprised nobody has mentioned samurai x,trust and betrayal,thats only 4 episodes long. "
Eh, I wouldn't recommend Fumoffu just like that, they'd have to be familiar with FMP! before watching that.  Plus, it's average compared to the main series, or other higher quality comedies.  "
Fumoffu was the first full metal panic i saw and didnt think theres was any explanation needed,its not like it follows the main arc or something.

Its a pity anime can have a weird reputation to people who arent familiar with them,
For the older heads i just finished watching a 12 episode called kaiba,to an outsider it looks like a warsaw pact cartoon on first glance but its really excellent.

Post by Luffy (166 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I just started watching Dragon Drive.  Seems interesting.
Post by DRE77 (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1

I joined this site after finding Giant Bomb a while ago and i used to love Dragon Ball Z and what i saw of Gundam but I had no idea where to start so this thread really helps thanks guys :)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel