new to anime...

Topic started by Jewel on Feb. 3, 2009. Last post by Bloodysirens 2 months ago.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I was thinking the other day about how i got into the anime i enjoy and realised i was very narrow minded about what i liked, i was asking around some friends what they think i would like and they made suggestions. Sparrow is taking me on a anime journey soon to show me lots.

Sooo i thought we could start this thread to suggest NEW TO ANIME movies and tv shows people could enjoy that would EASE them in too the rather bizzare world of Anime.

as i have said in the past my first experience.. was not nice... and kinda put me off them until... which i thought was much nicer.. go my brain.

sooo suggestions people?

Personally i would recommend...

any of the Hayao Miyazaki films to start with.. yes they are a little bizare, but most of them are gentle and nice..

Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are safe gateway anime. There aren't many shows that have universal appeal, however, so it really depends on the kind of person you're introducing to anime. My friends love Gurren Lagann, Diebuster and FLCL, but those kinds of shows certainly aren't for everyone.
i didnt get into Cowboy bebop but yes its a good one to start with
Post by Acer (5,676 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Full metal Alchemist is an amazing Anime to start of with.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Try Cyborg 009
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
NOT all Anime fit to the appeal of everyone, even if you love a specific genre.

Best Swordfights:
Samurai Champloo - Pure swordfights, but a mediocre story(if compared to highlevel Animes). But still one of the BEST swordfights in Anime.
Sword of the Stranger (MOVIE) - Epic swordfights, top quality animation, great story.
Rurouni Kenshin (1&2 OVA+Series+Movie+3&4 OVAs) - Epic swordfights, great story, old school anime.

Best Mystery/Thriller:
Deathnote - Battle of wits, anti-hero main character, epic plot. Very much resembes the american show "Dexter".

Best Action/Adventure:
Black Lagoon (1st+2nd+3rd Seasons) - Great action, great comedy, top notch animation, sprinkles of drama.
Cowboy Bebop (Series+Movie) - Epic action, western theme, great story, sci-fi theme.
Fullmetal Alchemist (Series+Movie+OVAs) - Magic, drama, great action, awesome adventure, most epic story ever.

Best Mecha:(Robots)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (1st and 2nd Seasons) - Great action, military theme.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Epic Everyting. Robots that breaks all laws of science and logic.
Eureka Seven - More concentrated in drama rather than mech fighting, but the Anime revolves around Mechs.
Code Geass(1st and 2nd Seasons) - Mech action with battle of wits at it's finest, anti-hero as main character.

Best Sports:
Hajime no Ippo(1stSeason+Movie+OVA+2ndSeason) - Epic boxing at it's finest, great comedy.
Slam Dunk - Great story, epic basketball, great comedy.

Best Story:
Twelve Kingdoms - Epic story.
Guardian of the Sacred Spirit - Best graphics ever seen, great swordfights although very few, great story.

Best Comedy:
School Rumble (1st Season + 2nd Season + OVA + Third Season ) - Best pure highschool comedy.
Great Teacher Onizuka - I haven't watched this, but I heard great things about it, specially in comedy.

Best Scifi
Dennou Coil - Great story, highschool life of students in the future.
Ghost in the Shell (1stMovie+2ndMovie || 1st Season + 2nd Season + OVA) - Complex story, great action. Note: 1st and 2nd movies are not related to the 1st and 2nd Season.

NOTE: Not all of these Animes don't have a lot of punch in the beginning and might put some effort in continuing before they establish their own respective greatness.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Trinty Blood
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Nerx said:
"Try Cyborg 009"
But its hard to find nowadays :(
  • Azumanga Daioh
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Yes I was not really paying attention LOL:p
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Chobits
yorro said:
"NOT all Anime fit to the appeal of everyone, even if you love a specific genre.

Best Swordfights:
Samurai Champloo - Pure swordfights, but a mediocre story(if compared to highlevel Animes). But still one of the BEST swordfights in Anime.
Sword of the Stranger (MOVIE) - Epic swordfights, top quality animation, great story.
Rurouni Kenshin (1&2 OVA+Series+Movie+3&4 OVAs) - Epic swordfights, great story, old school anime.

Best Mystery/Thriller:
Deathnote - Battle of wits, anti-hero main character, epic plot. Very much resembes the american show "Dexter".

Best Action/Adventure:
Black Lagoon (1st+2nd+3rd Seasons) - Great action, great comedy, top notch animation, sprinkles of drama.
Cowboy Bebop (Series+Movie) - Epic action, western theme, great story, sci-fi theme.
Fullmetal Alchemist (Series+Movie+OVAs) - Magic, drama, great action, awesome adventure, most epic story ever.

Best Mecha:(Robots)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (1st and 2nd Seasons) - Great action, military theme.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Epic Everyting. Robots that breaks all laws of science and logic.
Eureka Seven - More concentrated in drama rather than mech fighting, but the Anime revolves around Mechs.
Code Geass(1st and 2nd Seasons) - Mech action with battle of wits at it's finest, anti-hero as main character.

Best Sports:
Hajime no Ippo(1stSeason+Movie+OVA+2ndSeason) - Epic boxing at it's finest, great comedy.
Slam Dunk - Great story, epic basketball, great comedy.

Best Story:
Twelve Kingdoms - Epic story.
Guardian of the Sacred Spirit - Best graphics ever seen, great swordfights although very few, great story.

Best Comedy:
School Rumble (1st Season + 2nd Season + OVA + Third Season ) - Best pure highschool comedy.
Great Teacher Onizuka - I haven't watched this, but I heard great things about it, specially in comedy.

Best Scifi
Dennou Coil - Great story, highschool life of students in the future.
Ghost in the Shell (1stMovie+2ndMovie || 1st Season + 2nd Season + OVA) - Complex story, great action. Note: 1st and 2nd movies are not related to the 1st and 2nd Season.

NOTE: Not all of these Animes don't have a lot of punch in the beginning and might put some effort in continuing before they establish their own respective greatness.
"
NICE thanks for the run down it will help people looking!
Post by TheDrifter (663 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Hellsing
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
The best animes to start (even if i don't like some of them) are:

• Akira
  • Hayao Miyazaki films
  • Hellsing
  • Trinity Blood
  • Ghost in the shell (movie)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  • Afro Samurai
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Samurai Shamploo
  • Full Metal Alshemist
  • Code Geass
  • Death Note
  • Rurouni Kenshi
  • Naruto
  • Dragon Ball /Z /GT
  • Robotech
  • Macross Do You Remember Love / Frontier
  • Saint Seya / Hades Chapters
  • Wolf Rain
  • Martian Succesor Nadesico
  • Burst Angel
  • Animatrix
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Gunslinger Girl would be a great starter anime.
Post by Sonata (35,506 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Thats a Good list Black_Rose
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Negima!
Hellsing
Excel Saga
Berserk
Gundam Wing
Gurren Lagann
My Neighbor Totoro
Monster
Ghost in the Shell
School Rumble
Black Lagoon
Ouran High Host Club
Fullmetal Alchemist
Macross Frontier
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
It depends on your objective and the kind of person you're catering to.
If the person you're looking at just likes ridiculous fun with action, Gurren Lagann has yet to disappoint any of my non-anime friends that I've shown it to. If the person you're looking at likes over-the-top comedy, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is ridiculous fun everyone can understand. Zetsubou sensei doesn't work well for this category obviously because of it's heavy reliance on Japanese culture knowledge. If they want a thinking show, give them GITS if they like technical, or give them Kara no Kyoukai if they like mystical/philosophical. All I know that you should NOT start people off with is anything that falls under slice of life, like Azumanga, Lucky Star, or Haruhi. Yes, even Haruhi. Get them into those AFTER they have a bit more taste into the medium.

Sadly, I can't recommend Gundam Wing unless they were of the generation that caught little bits of it on Cartoon Network, since most people seemed to be turned off by old-school cel animation unless it's of a higher tier. And for the love of god and all that is holy, DON'T start them on Gundam 00 or Gundam Seed. I swear I will track you down if you do....those shows are horrid for getting a person into the mecha genre for many reasons on top of the fact that they don't really illustrate the normally clear line between super robot and real robot very well at all. Either go full out super robot with something like....idk....Gravion? (I'm not too knowledgeable on newer super robot shows, sorry) or go full out real robot with something like 08th MS Team or Full Metal Panic.

Normally though I wouldn't recommend starting them out on a giant robot show anyway, unless they've shown interest in the genre already.
Post by Amuck (943 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Alright well... lets see...

For Anime Movies here is what I recommend:

For Anime series here is what I recommend:

* = not recommended for children
# = I cant remember if there's anything unappropriated for children, so if you do watch it, just be careful.

Post by Eelcire (74 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Since anime encompasses all genres, I'd try to find something that falls inline to the tastes of that person. As mentioned above, slice of life anime or parodies would be something to steer clear of for the time being, as the jokes and culture of the show may be offputting.

Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns: Hayao Miyazaki makes many good films that are fun to watch with a good stories and characters. Also some of the better dubs available for those who don't wish to read subtitles.
Cowboy Bebop: Sci-fi settings, great stories without man fluff episodes and a good cast of characters. Has plenty of action and humor, as well as some drama.
Samurai Champloo: Similar to Cowboy Bebop in style, except set in historical Japan.
Ghost in the Shell: This one really requires some thinking (and a second watching).
Cardcaptor Sakura: A longer series, and should really only be watched subbed. Easy introduction into the magical girl genre with cute character designs and an interesting story.
Mermaid Saga: Covers the journey of someone who becomes immortal, only to spend his time looking for a means to become mortal again. Nice introduction to anime as a smaller series (and also a nice entry into manga as well).
Vampire Hunter D: One of the first anime movies I had seen; was shown on late night cable. Intense action and fairly graphic,  with interesting characters and plot developements.
School Rumble: School life is easy enough to relate to, and the comedy isn't too over the top and doesn't require much knowledge in Japanese culture to understand.

A month late, but still what I think is worthwhile and approachable anime.
Post by belwar (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Cowboy Bebop: Good to start
Samurai Champloo: You can watch this next

You can also try the new ones
Vampire Knight 2: Guilty
Code Geass R2
Rosario Vampire Capu 2

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel