New Licenses Announced by Licensors at Anime Expo

Topic started by Dream on June 30, 2012. Last post by Petiew 2 years ago.
Post by Dream (7,215 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Considering no one on Vice has covered anything yet, I figured I would spill the beans on new titles that American licensors announced that they snagged up at Anime Expo for home video distribution. I won't be too lengthy with details, so I'll just provide a quick summary on who has what:

Right Stuf
Ristorante Paradiso
Aoi Hana
Hyakko

Funimation
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Jormungand
Blood-C (TV series and movie)
Michiko to Hatchin
Appleseed XIII
Ikki Tousen (Great Guardians and Xtreme Xecutor)
Eureka 7 AO

Sentai Filmworks

La storia della Arcana Famiglia 
Campione!
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia
 Mayo Chiki!
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 
Seikon no Qwaser (both TV seasons and OAV)
Detroit Metal City
So, I Can't Play H!  
Space Brothers

Nearly all these titles will be released sometime next year. Feel free to comment on these new licenses!

Post by Sonata (35,162 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I dont know why funimation bothered with Ikki Tousen outside of the first season (which was average) the other series weren't that interesting or good IMO.
@Sonata: Some part of the anime fanbase caring for it, I suppose?

All kidding aside, Media Blasters has the first two seasons licensed. But since they're in financial peril at the moment, they couldn't get the later two seasons thus Funi swooped in to get them.
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,171 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Sonata:

I believe it make them money

Also, why there no Digimon? I want Digimon

Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Destinyheroknight said:

@Sonata:

I believe it make them money

Funi is a big dawg in the industry. They've said that fan service shows sell very well for them and that Ikkitousen is one of their hit titles so it makes sense that they grab this. On the flip side, they licensed Michiko to Hachin which is an all around well put together series.

Great animation, a well done story, likable and engaging characters. A really fitting tagline would be, Before their was The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, there was Michiko Malandro. It's super stylish, with awesome art, action and adventure except the animation isn't ass quality.

The R1 industry is in a really interesting place right now. The bubble burst and people can no longer be straight up idiots, but there is plenty of room for small companies focusing on niche titles to thrive and for big ones to keep doing there thing. Basically, you just can't be an idiot.

Anyways, it should be obvious that I'm super excited that Michiko got licensed, but TRSI, a company who prior to this hadn't licensed a single thing I was interested in, stole the show for me with Aoi Hana and Hyakko. Both of those are good shows for their genre and AH is a great addition to the R1 market.

The WTF award goes to Sentai though. They were on a role up to now but they didn't grab a single thing that caught my eye. In fact, their license of the crummy non-Idolm@ster rather than the good Idolm@ster show that's actually Idolm@ster was the biggest disappointment and headscratcher of the event.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Sonata said:

I dont know why funimation bothered with Ikki Tousen outside of the first season (which was average) the other series weren't that interesting or good IMO.

It's considered a popular show so I guess plenty of people must like it. I mean it's had like four or five seasons already. I pretty much agree though. I slogged my way through the first season and watched an episode of the second... I just find it kind of boring. It just needs something. I imagine I might still get through season 2 eventually though. Maybe.

Give me Queen's Blade over Ikki Tousen any day. It's not amazing by any stretch, but it's definitely the better of the two in my opinion, as dumb as it is.

@Dream said:

Sentai Filmworks

La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Campione!
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia
Mayo Chiki!
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Oh hell yes Mayo Chiki. Loved that series.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Dream said:

Idolm@ster Xenoglossia

Why?
Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Petiew: It's a typo that went unchecked for so long that it resulted in contracts being signed. Why they got this series instead of the good Idolm@ster series has the internet scratching its head.

This just in: Sentai Filmworks just announced that they've also acquired both seasons and the OAV of Seikon no Qwaser. The anime will be out to video later this year.
Another update to report: Sentai's snagged up Detroit Metal City.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,694 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Sentai also acquired the Detroit Metal City anime. I checked it out, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I don't know why in their right mind did they liscense that iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia mess either. I dropped that ho' shit after two episodes.

On the good side of the fence, Jormungand and the other two Ikki Tousen seasons happen to be a good fit for FUNimation on my book. I was a bit surprised about the former since it didn't even air yet...

Another acquisition just reported by Sentai. They've picked up So, I Can't Play H!
And the updates continue. Sentai announces another acquisition: Space Brothers.
Online Now

Sentai's got yet ANOTHER series: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita.

Post by takashichea (10,933 posts) See mini bio Level 25

There's a lot of great news. Hope this helps other series reach out to American audiences.

Online Now

Sentai keeps getting more and more! They just acquired Someday's Dreamers II: Sora.

(Yume would be PISSED at me for putting that other project on hold.) @__@
Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@sickVisionz: Haha, makes sense. To be honest I don't think it's too terrible, just a weird route that they took.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel