Need Some Old School Ani-Crap (What dud of an older anime title should I watch?)

Topic started by Dream on May 21, 2012. Last post by Dream 2 years ago.
Post by Dream (7,093 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • MD Geist
  • Pilot Candidate
  • Garzey's Wing
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Reign the Conquerer
  • Ninja Resurrection
  • Knights of Ramune
  • Harmagedon
  • Psychic Wars
  • Sword for Truth
Post by Dream (7,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Maybe I'm being a glutton for punishment, but let's try this for a second time. Since the past four titles I've done reviews for have covered fairly recent anime duds, I figured I would go old-school with this Ani-Crap poll. All of the titles in this poll have aired during or before the year 2000. Same rules with this poll apply like the earlier polls: I'll run this voting for three weeks where you vote on a title you want me to watch and cover in a blog posting. Whichever title has the most votes by June 12 will be the one I watch and post a blog posting for.

Feel free to vote for what old-school anime dud you want me to cover.

Post by Sonata (35,097 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Samurai Shodown I just recently threw that piece of crap VHS in the dumpster. I dont klnow what I was thinking buy it I was 13 at the time. Art of Fighting however is far worse than that.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,667 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I looked up Samurai Showdown and I'll have to agree with here. It was an adaptation of an boring fighting game (unfortunately speaking from renter's experience), so it sounds more like some 1-star bull.

Bumping this baby up. Two weeks left to vote on what old-school anime dud you want me to cover.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Inspired by this thread I decided to take a look at Knights of Ramune. I'm only 2 episodes in of the 6 total, but so far it seems very lighthearted and silly. There are a lot of cliches (it even makes a few jokes about that fact) but the animation, character design, and action sequences are all very typical for that era. The giant robot versus giant robot combat is no better or worse than any 1990's Gundam show. The character design is reminiscent of Magic Knight Rayearth, The Slayers and Saber Marionette J. Now there is a healthy amount of lewd comedy (boing-boing!) and a moderate amount of nudity, but I don't find that alone enough to ridicule a show. Maybe something will change in the following 4 shows, but so far it's frivolous but harmless fun. That is unless someone is offended by gratuitous juvenile humor and fan service.

As for the others, well it's been a decade since I've seen Pilot Candidate on Cartoon Network, but I remember liking it at the time. I was looking for something similar to NGE and that somewhat fit the bill. It even had a cat-girl if I recall correctly. The other show I remember from your list is Reign the Conqueror. I didn't like this one too much. It was ugly in my opinion and it looked too much like Aeon Flux. Stuff like that meant a lot to me back then. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now. I just don't have any compulsion to watch it again. I did decide to watch an episode of Aeon Flux over on MTV.com, though. That show was pretty cool, but I preferred The Maxx.

Bumping up again. One and a half weeks left to go in voting. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised with the lower voter turnout since the poll has older and possibly unfamiliar titles for many folks.

I'm actually getting tempted to want to try making this into a monthly routine where I stick to the same format I've been doing (five recent duds and five older duds) to get votes like my previous polls. If you want me to do this on a monthly basis, feel free to post your thoughts. If enough folks want me to do this more frequently, then I'll be more than happy to do so.
Post by takashichea (10,622 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Dream said:

Bumping up again. One and a half weeks left to go in voting. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised with the lower voter turnout since the poll has older and possibly unfamiliar titles for many folks. I'm actually getting tempted to want to try making this into a monthly routine where I stick to the same format I've been doing (five recent duds and five older duds) to get votes like my previous polls. If you want me to do this on a monthly basis, feel free to post your thoughts. If enough folks want me to do this more frequently, then I'll be more than happy to do so.

Guilty as charged.

I have no idea about these shows. I just went with Sword of Truth.

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Pilot candidate is garbage , that would be ok.

Bumping yet again. A week left to go on voting for what older dud you want me to watch and review.
Post by Sonata (35,097 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Dream: Yeah make this monthly, I am curious about what you think of Voltage Fighter Gowkaiser once you seen it. 

@takashichea: All these show shows are awful so you cant go wrong on anything you pick:P
Bumping this up yet again. Three days left for voting.
Since it looks like I haven't received any new votes in the past few days, I think I'm gonna end voting on this a little early. By one vote, Samurai Shodown will be the older anime dud I will watch and cover in a blog posting.

And I think I'll make this into a monthly routine and see how things go with it.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel