Media Blasters Licenses The Blade of the Immortal Anime

Topic started by GodLen on June 12, 2009. Last post by lanaswift 5 years, 2 months ago.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

Media Blasters is back in action by licensing the Blade of the Immortal anime. Right now Amazon lists a September 29th release date for the first volume of the anime. Another good thing to know is that Media Blasters plan on dubbing the anime, but hasn’t quite decided on which studio to use. This is great because Media Blasters usually has pretty good dubs. 

As many of you know, this anime is based off of the original manga by Hiroaki Samura, and is about the practically immortal Manji, with his trillions of swords, and trillions of kills. The manga itself is a classic, though the same can’t be said about the anime. I’m sorry, but the anime can’t emulate the amazing art quality of the manga; I wish it wasn’t this way, but it’s the truth. And I can’t begin to tell you how much I hate that opening song. I’m sure there are many people out there who are happy about this announcement, but I can’t be one of them.

[Via ANN]

Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
'Bout damn time. For some reason I always figured FUNimation would pick this one up in the end. Go Media Blasters.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Sweet! I'm really, really looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can get a one disc blu-ray out of the show. The series wasn't too long, right?

P.S. that OP does so much right in my book. It could use a touch more color variation, bu that's it. The use of non-explicit, yet carnal violence/sexuality resonates well. The use of slow pans, then fast motions bode well.

Throw in some creative splicing and a good music choice and you've got a great opener.
*puts change in his new "buying Blade of the Immortal fund" jar*
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Good job Len, now John's playing the OP on constant cycle.

...Actually, I don't mind, it's pretty badass.
Post by paploo (48 posts) See mini bio Level 2
@John_Martone:  I doubt we'll ever see a one-disc bluray release of any series. Something like that doesn't sound like something japanese distributors would warm up to. MB has done one or two live action bluray discs, so if the market for bluray TV anime picks up, they probably have the rights to do it, but I wouldn't count on it.

That said, it's apparently a 3-disc release, which shouldn't be too bad [quicker release/cheaper then 4], and having a dub'll make it worth it.
Post by Sonata (35,337 posts) See mini bio Level 20
WOOt I cant wait!!XD
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@paploo: Not to say Media Blasters will do this, but FUNi did Shigurui on one blu-ray and it was 12 episodes (as opposed to 13). Of course, FUNi also did that thing were it's all or nothing, and released the entire series as a one shot buy, which is cool to me. Of course, I think Blade as a slightly higher appeal than Shigurui.

My only hesistation is that no company is going to want to do 3 volumes of blu-ray releases, so they'll either wait till after everything is done (and lose potential buyers in the short run) or just not do it.
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@paploo: Yeah, I'm kind of with @John_Martone on this one-- I think Japan (finally) sees that the US market won't buy if it's not affordable (unlike the Japanese market), and will therefore be more inclined to sell things on a single BD or maybe two.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel