Man that was a lot of anime.

Topic started by damswedon on Oct. 11, 2010. Last post by PenguinDust 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
On the 3rd of October 2010, I sat there at around noon, checking to see if my old fickle laptop would be able to record for about an hour for Dochaus’ AlphaVictor podcast (contractual plug). I was looking at a list of the upcoming Anime for the autumn when I had an idea, “if I reviewed one new episode a day for the next seven days then I will of broken ten reviews.” In hindsight, this was a foolish idea, but still a fun one. I started off by picking at random shows that just got updated on Crunchyroll, then later on I just watched a whole bunch and decided to review the ones I felt where most interesting either in concept or execution. Thankfully, none of the episodes I picked where terrible minus   Super Robot Wars OG: something or another, but then I find mechs to be boring.

Review pimpin' section

First up was Sora No Otoshimono Forte, I don’t know about this show. The first episode was an effective introduction to the show to a point where I was somewhat curious to see what actually happened in the first series. However, the whole show seems to be one enormous dick joke with buckets of boobs and panty shots for the sake of it. This is a shame because the mystery of Angeloids, Heaven and the Synapse came off as actually cool. It’s just you have to cut through so much crap to get to the good stuff for example, in the second episode there is probably a total of five minutes of overall plot relevant stuff, ten if your generous. ( full review here

This picture is not related at all.
This picture is not related at all.

The second review I wrote was for Yumeiro Patissiere Professional. I have no real clue on how I feel about this show. On the one hand, it’s a really and I mean really stupid premise, a millionaire builds a town and fills it with sweet shops to have a sweets shop world cup. On the other hand, it has an easy watching carefree feeling encasing it that just feels great. There was a point where I wanted to watch the first series to get up to speed and then I notice there are fifty episodes to this show. So ‘eff that. The show easily wins the BEST OPENING THEME award with its song and theme that feels like it would be found in some European capital club called De dans. ( full review here) Third was Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. I liked it. ( full review here

The fourth review was for Otome Yokai Zakuro that story wise seems okay nothing too out there; the setting is however is interesting to say the least. I don’t know much about of Japanese history other than samurai, ninja and the whole World War 2 thing. I find the show to be oddly appealing the Meniji era seems to be the death of old Japan and the rise of the imperial Japan that ended up in the war. Oh and the art is beautiful just mind meltingly good. ( full review here

Fifth was The World God Only Knows which has a real detective feeling, I just get this real Sherlock Holmes feeling from the main character and hey the writer/s actually know how to make you like a character within the first episode. ( full review here) The Sixth was Fortune Arterial, which has a cool premise; a boarding school has a couple of vampires living in it. Sadly, nothing really happens in the episode to the point where all you really needed to carry the story was the first five minutes and the last two or three. ( full review here) Finally, there was  My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute or Oreimo as it is also known. This is a cute but also thoughtful look at Otaku and how they are perceived in Japan. Oh and it isn’t nearly as incesty as I expected. It also wins the award of BEST BACKGROUND MUSIC with its ska soundtrack. ( full review here

Musical Interlude

Other Shows

Whoa there, keep something for the rest of the show.
 Whoa there, keep something for the rest of the show.

Speaking of Incest, Yosuga no Sora is a show that started off with the typical harem set up of bunch of girls who seem to fall in love with our white haired protagonist. His twin sister seems to have a connection issue with him that verges on the creepy side to a point where she shows up in her brother’s room at night and asks to “lay” with him. I’m fully expecting the show to do an it’s him who is actually having the incestuous fantasies but time will tell. Squid Girl was fun, it relies waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on placing Squid and other Squidy words in place of adjectives, and it expects us to find that funny. However the rest of the show is fine and there where a few funny moments that makes it nice and easy watching. Iron Man exists and well they seem to understand that the right Iron Man to Tony Stark ratio favours a more Tony focused format. In that Tony Stark being an asshole is more fun than a dude in a iron suit fighting other robots.

MM! and Star Driver rubbed me the wrong way. MM! feels like it is purposefully doing everything it can to piss me off, with its complete arsehole of a club leader in Mio Isurugi. Why is she put in charge of being a consultant when she is obviously a psychopath? Maybe you would be able to “cure” Sado Taro’s sadism if you just talked to him. God Damn it just watch the bloody opening to your own show and you’ll understand that the problem is his over loving mother and sister. As for Star Driver I feel like the art is just rapidly changing in quality at times there is a major contrast between characters and backgrounds, but in the other realm the artwork is fantastic. There are also two things that really bug me about the show, Firstly why can’t anyone realise that the bad guys are all the students with weird hair colours? Secondly, why is it that everyone’s neck is longer that his or her heads?

Well I’ve rambled on for way too long... so... erm... bye

Post by Babylonian (16 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff

Man, who told anime that incest was okay? I'll never get that. Never.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Good stuff. I haven't seen Yumeiro Patissiere Professional, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first season, Yumerio Patissiere. It was easy to watch like a season of Pretty Cure and it scratched the cooking show anime itch I've had since Yakitate! Japan. I've heard mixed things about Chuuka Ichiban! (aka Cooking Master Boy), so this series satisfied my needs for a while. I need to check out Toriko once it's over or at episode 50.

I'm not quite sure how to take The World Only God Knows since after two seasons, the main hero still seems to be distanced from the relationships he's formed. I understand the reasons why, but his progress is very "two-steps forward, two-steps back". I am hoping for real progress in season 3.

Sora No Otoshimono Forte was a decent follow-up for the original season run. I enjoyed it more the farther I got into the show. They made a movie after that, so I hope there is a third season to wrap it all up.

I liked what I saw of Yosuga no Sora, but I never reached the controversial story arc. The first three arcs I saw, though were good. Like Amagami SS, I need to get back to it someday.

MM! disappointed me. For a show about "perverts" it is exceedingly tame. Hen Zemi is so much better and funnier, too especially the OVAs. Granted, its cast are all college students and MM! is supposed to be high schoolers. Still, Seitokai Yakuindomo is also set in a high school and while it wasn't specifically about sexual deviance, many of the conversations between the characters skewed that way and it, too was much funnier.

I'm a fan of Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Squid Girl) and PSG. It took until episode 8 for me to get into Star Driver but I liked it after that. I do need to finish off the final few though to see how it all turns out. This is the reason why I try to focus on one show at a time usually. Iron Man is another I need to finish after getting through half. I didn't dislike it and the mecha animation was pretty good.

Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18
You guys do realize this was posted a year ago? Just sayin.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@DocHaus said:

You guys do realize this was posted a year ago? Just sayin.

Ha-ha, nope I didn't see that. "Who's the greater fool, the fool or the fool who follows him" comes to mind. Either way, I should pay closer attention to these things.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel