looking for dark anime series :)

Topic started by xBlazingStar94x on Oct. 23, 2012. Last post by scorpion2501 1 year, 1 month ago.
Post by xBlazingStar94x (40 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Hey guys, I am a big fan of dark anime and manga. Can anyone suggest any good series? If people could list some it would be good thanks and appreciated :)

I don't mind if it is a dark anime movie either :) A list would be good thanks xD

i love action, thrillers, vampires (nothing twilight like though, ones that actually take blood) and finally comedies :)

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Ahh, this is what really got me into anime. I can name a decent amount of these for you...

Saikano, Serial Experiments Lain, Elfen Lied, Blue Gender, Claymore, Death Note, Escaflowne, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, Gunslinger Girl, School Days, Myself;Yourself, Bokurano, H20 Footprints in the Sand, Hell Girl (all of them), Jyu Oh Sei, Kaiba, Erin the Beast Player, Perfect Blue, Shigofumi, Shigurui, Book of Bantorra, Wolf's Rain, Shiki, Monster, and Another.

Post by NoOne_13 (61 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Neon Genesis Evangelion is considered a must watch for most anime fans and for a more recent series try Madoka Magica for twisted interpretation of the magical girl genre.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@xBlazingStar94x: SickVisionz list is pretty good, I'd advise hellsing ultima, its a bit old but its classic. As NoOne said Madoka Magica is a personal favorite of mine, but I personally find Evangelion insanely overrated, but alright

Post by 5th (1,176 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@xBlazingStar94x: If anything, watch Mirai Nikki or read the manga (I highly recommend you do so, it's really great) it's a psychological thriller with the craziest yandere ever!!! Also Deadman Wonderland is one, and Gantz too.

Post by Dream (7,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Others to consider:
Gilgamesh  
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni 
Black Lagoon
Requiem from the Darkness
Gungrave
Grave of the Fireflies
Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners
Key the Metal Idol
Aoi Bungaku Series
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
Fate/ Zero
Black Jack: The Movie
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo
Now and Then Here and There
Kino's Journey
Pet Shop of Horrors
Silent Mobius
X/1999 (TV series)

@sickVisionz said:

Ahh, this is what really got me into anime. I can name a decent amount of these for you...

Saikano, Serial Experiments Lain, Elfen Lied, Blue Gender, Claymore, Death Note, Escaflowne, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, Gunslinger Girl, School Days, Myself;Yourself, Bokurano, H20 Footprints in the Sand, Hell Girl (all of them), Jyu Oh Sei, Kaiba, Erin the Beast Player, Perfect Blue, Shigofumi, Shigurui, Book of Bantorra, Wolf's Rain, Shiki, Monster, and Another.

that is an awesome list :) I am familiar with some of the animes, thank you very much to you and everyone else who has helped :)

@Elfenlied1012 said:

@xBlazingStar94x: SickVisionz list is pretty good, I'd advise hellsing ultima, its a bit old but its classic. As NoOne said Madoka Magica is a personal favorite of mine, but I personally find Evangelion insanely overrated, but alright

I am definitively going to have to look at this :) i am familiar with the anime for hellsing, i've been watching season 1 recently and i have had a look at it and i am very fond of the manga artwork :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@Dream: How could I have forgotten fate zero? -_-

Post by Jaydens (4 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Not dark but i found top 10 action animes, horror animes, romance animes and so many animes information.

Post by Kuro_San (1,338 posts) See mini bio Level 11

You want dark, let's go full on hardcore. Watch the Violence Jack OVA's and brace yourself...

Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent are also good choices....

MW is old but dark....

Anything by Naoki Urasawa (Billy Bat, his newest work is pretty dark)

Berserk is dark, the manga is better than the anime though...

Madoka Magica

And Narutaru, dont be fooled by the cutesy art style this is one crazy SOB

Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

BToom is dark and violent, but the tone is like Highschool of the Dead where it's more about shock value than something like Gantz that's dark and gory but can be depressing at times.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,322 posts) See mini bio Level 15

One word:

Gantz

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,024 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Hellsing

Elfen Leid

Tokyo Majin

Afro Samurai and the movie

Supernatural the anime

Death Note

Deadman Wonderland

Fullmetal alchemist at times

Shigurui blood frenzy

Blood+

Claymore

Corpse Princess

Post by manamana6671 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Dunno if it's been said...but Paranoia Agent is the darkest series I've seen so far.

Post by Arnoboy (55 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Another is also pretty dark, you feel constantly uneasy when watching it.
Post by KingOfAsh (1,322 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Blassreiter?

Post by jewl122 (326 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Hell girl?

I saw two episodes....it's dark and creepy to me.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,514 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Pandora Hearts is kinda dark as well; only drawback is that the anime doesnt finish the entire story line and you'll have to read the manga later. I totally recommend it though!

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,045 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Darker than black, that's gotta be dark. It's got 'dark' in the title. Could lower the contrast on whatever animé you watch. It'll be darker without the backlight on.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel