jumping back into anime after.... 7 years?

Topic started by drunkenfool on Aug. 19, 2012. Last post by ShadowKnight508 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by drunkenfool (4 posts) See mini bio Level 7

hello everyone! ok so I am looking to get back into anime. I was a pretty big video game and anime/manga geek in high school.. but after school I started to travel around my country, east to west coast(canada).... then I started backpacking europe (I'm currently living in Germany). ANYWAY.. I have no idea where to begin. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions? I saw that there were other similar topics with people wanting to get into anime for the first time.. But I can offer some info on the series I liked so if you guys have any suggestions based on that... And I'm also open to new things! Browsing the site has been a bit difficult for me... I don't know all the ''lingo''... ....ew... promised myself I would never use that word. :P So this is a learning experience for me too!

Here I go...

tsubasa chronicle, love hina, chobits, battle royale (manga), dragonball, cardcaptors, inuyasha, I found aria interesting, I liked the anime and manga. I liked the colour pallet and the way it brought you into a calm aquatic world(I probably had a lot of stress with exams during that period lol). EVERYTHING hayao miyazaki... but nausicaa valley of the wind found a special place in my heart. as well as princess mononoke..

There are more but these are the first that come to mind. I always felt that with anime I kind of stayed on the surface.. But now I'm a bit older and would like to go deeper. cowboy bebop and naruto were very popular in my group of friends, and I really wanted to jump into them but for some reason or another I just never had the time. But whenever I caught an episode I really liked it.

To start.. I guess I would like to try something not too heavy. Not too action based.. Maybe something with humor.. could be adventure. I am also craving something a bit campy. But also with some adult themes.

Magic and beautiful animation is also something I'm attracted to. I love japanese RPGs... so I don't know..

I guess... I will leave it up to you guys! :)

Thanks for taking the time to read!!

I'm Alex!! Nice to meet you all!

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,243 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@drunkenfool: Hey Alex, welcome to Anime Vice! It's always great to see anew username around here. Let me know if you need help with anything.

To start.. I guess I would like to try something not too heavy. Not too action based.. Maybe something with humor.. could be adventure. I am also craving something a bit campy. But also with some adult themes.

Magic and beautiful animation is also something I'm attracted to. I love japanese RPGs... so I don't know..

Judging by that, Fairy Tail is an almost perfect fit. I need to update this thread with the current slate of anime titles, but it has links to watch Fairy Tail on a bunch of different websites. Since you're in Germany, I imagine the FUNimation and Hulu sites won't be much use to you, so I would recommend trying the YouTube link.

Other than that a great place to start is the Crunchyroll simulcast page. Try a few shows from there and you're bound to find one you enjoy.

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,357 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I would recommend both Fairy Tail and One Piece (if you don't mind that it is well over 550 episodes). Both shows have great humor, interesting characters, and good adventures that makes each series enjoyable. If you love rampant, wild humor, both Gintama and Binbogami-ga! should interest you.
Post by DocHaus (935 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@drunkenfool:

Welcome to our corner of the internet. I'll just leave this here. Based on your words I'll toss in a recommendation for Soul Eater, but you should still check the list.

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

You're in for a good ass time. I really don't know where to even tell you to start because your tastes are pretty varied. Just pick a best of list and start running them down.

I'll throw out a kinda odd choice with Nisemonogatari because you said you love beautiful animation, don't mind camp and humor, and you listed Chobits and Love Hina as shows you enjoy. Katanagatari (same writer, completely different series) fits a lot of those as well, except it has action and is considerably darker and more serious.

@sickVisionz: Ahhh I did not see your reply! I will have to check them out and report back here once I've managed to find them! :D

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@drunkenfool: Don't ask for torrents on this site. While torrents were pretty much the only way for watching anime without buying it back when you left anime, things have radically changed while you were gone. A huge portion of anime that airs in Japan is available legally available in the us hours after it airs on subscription services or a week after it airs for free. Years have passed with this being the case and now there are pretty massive online anime archives that will be available to you legally for free on sites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, YouTube, Crackle, Funimation, and many more.

A huge portion, probably the majority, of titles people will be suggesting to you will be available on totally free services like the ones mentioned above or Netflix.

Ahhh sorry! I just like to have the file on my computer.. because I travel a lot and don't always have an internet connection. So I prefer having them on hand when I'm @ the airport or something.. But I will check out the sites.. thanks!

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,376 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@drunkenfool:

Try DVDs

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,357 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@drunkenfool: Add me on CrunchyRoll (ShadowKnight508) so I can hook you up with a All-Access Pass (48 Hours) so you can get the full CR experience.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel