Is GT Canon?

Topic started by VG_Addict on Nov. 4, 2012. Last post by Supreme Marvel 1 year, 12 months ago.
Post by VG_Addict (44 posts) See mini bio Level 6

So, I'm in this argument with this guy, and he keeps telling me GT is canon. Is it?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,379 posts) See mini bio Level 21

No, it isn't canon

Here what canon and what isn't

http://www.animevice.com/dragon-ball/10-1/dragonball-canon/97-327277/

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

No... Thread closed.

Wait... why the heck did I bumped this?? dumb me I guess..? sorry folks!

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Delete your post and the thread will go back 3 weeks. Then I'll delete mine.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I've been meaning to post this here:

George Lucas once said that the Star Wars EU isn't canon, yet no one takes it seriously. You can consider GT to be canon if you want.

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

it isn't

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield said:

I've been meaning to post this here:

George Lucas once said that the Star Wars EU isn't canon, yet no one takes it seriously. You can consider GT to be canon if you want.

In that world there is levels of canon

  • G-Canon- (George Lucas Canon). This is the highest canon class. It includes only the movies and material pertaining to them.
  • T-Canon- (Television Canon). This is the second highest canon class and includes any information provided in TV shows. This includes Star Wars The Clone Wars, as an example.
  • C-Canon- (Continuity Canon). This is the basic canon. This includes everything else that is confirmed to be in continuity, i.e., novels, comics, sourcebooks/handbooks, video games, etc.
  • S-Canon- (Secondary Canon). This is essentially any information that has yet to be confirmed as canon. It should only be mentioned in the context that there is a chance a given piece of information could be non-canon.
  • N-Canon- (Non Canon). Self-explanatory.
Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: Oh wow, that's extremely dumb. But in any case, it still kind of brings up the point, if you say the "creator's word" is final say for what is and isn't canon, don't make a double standard out of it. People have also made the argument that nothing Superman related is canon since Siegel and Shuster haven't written in so long, it doesn't make it valid.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield: I got that from an avid Star Wars fan. I don't actually read or like the films. Well Siegal and Shuster sold the rights to Superman to DC for $100 so they should have had no more say in the matter. But because their greedy families want more, they went to court over it. You don't see the families of Bob Kane and Bill Finger going to court about Batman rights do you?

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Supreme Marvel said:

Delete your post and the thread will go back 3 weeks. Then I'll delete mine.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that! thanks for the tip :D

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@DBZ_universe said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Delete your post and the thread will go back 3 weeks. Then I'll delete mine.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that! thanks for the tip :D

Bit late now. :P

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Supreme Marvel said:

@DBZ_universe said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Delete your post and the thread will go back 3 weeks. Then I'll delete mine.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that! thanks for the tip :D

Bit late now. :P

True... T_T

Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: Also true. But I think it is a bit arrogant to assume you have ultimate authority over it just because you create it. It's not like he did everything by himself, so others have a say over it as well and he can be over ruled. It's not like he's a novelist and it was all his work completely.

@DBZ_universe: I was looking for an excuse to say this anyway

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield said:

@Supreme Marvel: Also true. But I think it is a bit arrogant to assume you have ultimate authority over it just because you create it. It's not like he did everything by himself, so others have a say over it as well and he can be over ruled. It's not like he's a novelist and it was all his work completely.

Well Lucas owned the rights to it all. He DID have authority over it. Everyone was afraid to tell him that his ideas were shit. For proof, watch the Star Wars films. They're shit!

Personally, if I had created a story, I would rather I have the final word, unless I sold the rights, then I'd have accepted someone else taking responsibility over my work. I'm very protective of my own works. As Lucas should be. Well now he's sold it, his canon can go out the window with whatever Disney decide.

Toriyama's work was the manga, that is what's canon. The animé are representations of that. Since GT was studio created and not Toriyama created, it has no bearing on canon.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: I still agree what you what you just said, but I do still do think t's a double standard to take on creator's word as fact and not the other. I would be willing to admit Toriyama's word is final on the matter of DBZ if Star Wars fans would admit Lucas's word on the EU is final.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield said:

@Supreme Marvel: I still agree what you what you just said, but I do still do think t's a double standard to take on creator's word as fact and not the other. I would be willing to admit Toriyama's word is final on the matter of DBZ if Star Wars fans would admit Lucas's word on the EU is final.

I do agree that Lucas' word on Star Wars was final. I'm not a Star Wars fan. However, now he doesn't own the rights. What he's done so far can be altered. I'm sure they (Disney) won't though. They have a fanbase to protect.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: Ah well I didn't mean you in particular I just meant DBZ fans in general.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield: Do you mean you want fans to accept GT as canon?

Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Supreme Marvel: Oops I meant Star Wars fans accepting Lucas's word. My bad

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,213 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MarioRedfield: Makes sense now. Some fans do, some don't. The ones I pay attention, like Silver2467 and JediXMan on the Vine. They're intelligent Star Wars fans.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel