Is Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

Topic started by Superevil225 on Jan. 10, 2011. Last post by ronat1 3 years, 6 months ago.
Post by JoMate (32 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@PenguinDust: hmm thats problematic let's change it up a little: f-anime. there that should do it
Post by myikap (5 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@ethan: i don`t think so
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@jomate:  Works for me!  I'll be adding it to my lexicon.
Post by jmrwacko (11 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I consider anime to specifically be japanese animation. Avatar is American animation. That doesn't mean it isn't good, though. You should be proud the great US of A ended up making an animated series that can compete with anime classics :-)
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@Dream said:
" Created by American developers in Burbank, CA and animated by a South Korean animation studio...  Nope. Avatar isn't technically an anime. "
This. It may look like a anime, it may think that it is a anime, but it never will be a true anime unless it was produced in Japan, originally dubbed in Japanese, and had to be dubbed with English to hit the states.
Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@ShadowKnight508 said:
" @Dream said:
" Created by American developers in Burbank, CA and animated by a South Korean animation studio...  Nope. Avatar isn't technically an anime. "
This. It may look like a anime, it may think that it is a anime, but it never will be a true anime unless it was produced in Japan, (1) originally dubbed in Japanese, and (2) had to be dubbed with English to hit the states. "
(1) Does this mean IGPX doesn't count since I believe the native language for it was English?
(2) This disqualifies every subtitle only anime release to hit the states.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@sickVisionz said:
" @ShadowKnight508 said:
" @Dream said:
This. It may look like a anime, it may think that it is a anime, but it never will be a true anime unless it was produced in Japan, (1) originally dubbed in Japanese, and (2) had to be dubbed with English to hit the states. "
(1) Does this mean IGPX doesn't count since I believe the native language for it was English? (2) This disqualifies every subtitle only anime release to hit the states. "
No...I said that in the case of Avatar. I do not consider it a anime, just another Nick cartoon that became a hit among fans.
Post by Sephrim1 (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I don't think you can consider it an anime, but instead a hybrid. It's a mixture of both eastern and western styles. It's not a western cartoon or an Eastern anime, but instead a hybrid. I think this will be a future genre of art. Netflix is streaming it, but I can't wait until Sephrimmedia.com starts streaming it also. I freaking love this show.
Post by ronat1 (127 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Destinyheroknight: 
I think the same way it has the style, the topic is pretty much the same as any other Japanese made anime and its as enjoyable as any other anime i´ve seen, so why shouldn´t we consider it an anime?
@ronat1: It being enjoyable has no impact on whether it's anime.  Why do people always bring up that Avatar is a good as if that means it's anime?  I think there's some subconscious thing where some people think cartoon = bad and anime = good.  When they come across a good cartoon their brain freezes and they want to call it anime even if it clear cut isn't because, in their mind, calling it a cartoon is the same as saying it sucks.  

" I think the same way it has the style, the topic is pretty much the same as any other Japanese made anime"

This is why I always ask what exactly makes this anime.  There is no specific "style" or "topic" of anime.  I'd love to see someone point out how Avatar is pretty much the same as Paniponi Dash, Detective Conan, FLCL, Haibane Renmei, Saki, Slam Dunk and the hundreds if not thousands of other anime that don't fit the pretty much the same as Avatar mold but are clearly and undeniably anime.
@sickVisionz:  
 I´ve seen many great cartoons and I certainly don´t consider them bad, they are as good as anime, but the point is, what makes an animation an anime or a cartoon? for me nobody has given the answer yet. And for me saying that an anime is an anime just because it comes from Japan has no meaning, Í may not be clear on this issue but something tells me Avatar should be considered anime, why? I´m not sure, its just bet I guess.     
@ronat1 said:
" @sickVisionz:   what makes an animation an anime or a cartoon? for me nobody has given the answer yet. And for me saying that an anime is an anime just because it comes from Japan has no meaning,  "
Anime = animation from Japan.  There's a reason that we use the Japanese word and it's not just because it sounds cool.  The only thing Avatar shares in common with some anime is  

• violence, which isn't some unique trait that anime invented nor is it a defining trait
  • an overarching plot, like violence, this isn't some unique trait that anime invented nor is if a defining trait
  • characters have big eyes, which is something that Walt Disney, an American made mainstream

If those aren't the reasons why it's anime, I'd love to hear an explanation of it but I never do.  If those are the reasons why and being from Japan has zero relevance, does that mean that non-violent and episodic Japanese animation doesn't count as anime?  When your definition eliminates a huge percentage of things that are undeniably anime, it's a flawed and broken definition.
@sickVisionz:  
 I never gave any definition and I´m the first one to say that anime doesn´t necessarily means violence, most of the ones I love are nothing but that. Maybe you´re right with japanese part or maybe not, I´m still not sure, but there must be some other reasons besides the origin of the animation that males it an anime. In any case as I said I don´t have that knowledge, but It would be great if someone could make it clear, but I have the feeling this topic has a long road to travel until it finds its goal.    
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel