Is Avatar: The Last Airbender an Anime?

Topic started by Superevil225 on Jan. 10, 2011. Last post by ronat1 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Would you consider Avatar: The Last Airbender to be an anime? Anime is short for 'animation' so wouldn't that mean any animated show is technically an 'anime'? Yet again, some people say that anime is Japanese made animated shows. The Last Airbender was created in America, so that may rule it out of the 'anime' category. It does seem to be in Anime Vice's wiki, so that's another point for. As well, it has a very 'anime' style of art. Is anime defined by the art style, not origin? Why then is is called something else in Korea? Further more, what would you call The Last Airbender is it isn't an anime? A cartoon? It tends to lean more to the anime side. Even the plot and characters are anime-esque! Personally I think that there is a new category of anime that is slowly becoming more and more popular that The Last Air Bender fits into. I call it: American Made Anime. I think that it's when an American made animated show takes in similar story telling, plot, characters, and art that is typically found in Japanese anime. 

Discuss!!
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Yes, I do think its an anime
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,711 posts) See mini bio Level 20
No
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" No "
Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@hitsusatsu11 said:
"No "
@hitsusatsu11: @JJOR64: @SSJjanemba: 
I'll destroy you all :(
Post by Dream (7,107 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Created by American developers in Burbank, CA and animated by a South Korean animation studio...

Nope. Avatar isn't technically an anime.
@Destinyheroknight:
it cant be an anime since it was created outside of japan, anime is japanese cartoons avatar is american cartoons
@SSJjanemba: 
I call shows that have an anime style an anime
It doesn't matter if it came from japan or not to me
@Destinyheroknight:
thats cool
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Destinyheroknight said:
" @SSJjanemba:  I call shows that have an anime style an anime It doesn't matter if it came from japan or not to me "
I agree with you.
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
No. 

ND
Post by Obsidian (5 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Avatar is much more like Japanese animation than American.  I've always considered it anime.
@Superevil225: 

I agree with you.  

Cool :)
Post by sickVisionz (4,223 posts) See mini bio Level 24
It's a cartoon to me.  It doesn't look like anime, it's not from Japan and stylistically the only thing it shares is an over-arching plot (which isn't a part of my definition of anime), violence (which isn't something exclusive to anime) and the characters have big eyes (which is something Disney came up with).

Whenever people bring up stuff like this and Ben 10 the usual response is that there should be a broader definition of anime and that stuff outside of Japan can be anime too.  Ok, that's cool but what specifically makes this anime?  I never really see anyone listing specific things about the series that makes them anime fit their definition of anime.

I could understand someone saying Teen Titans is anime since it has it does a lot of stylistic things you see in anime like tear drops, constant blushing, and the cross on someone's forehead when they're mad, and the theme song is song by a j-pop group.  But Avatar... I don't see how it's anime more than any random cartoon I can think of like Duck Tales or Recess or Tazmania or whatever.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
No for me, but that doesn't mean it's any less enjoyable.  It certainly draws from anime as its inspiration.  More so than any other Western show I can recall, at least.  The Teen Titans and X-Men: Evolution also had an anime-like look to them even if their stories were more standard Western fare like Justice League Unlimited or Kim Possible.  And the current Symbiotic Titan has a storyline more familiar in anime than Western TV, but its art is definitely American.   

I don't believe it's important to classify Avatar: TLA as anime to accept and enjoy it.  Watch it for what it is; a rare experiment in Western animation.  That being, a show with a long episodic story arc which was envisioned with a beginning, a middle and an end that did not succumb to the corporate suits concerns about "late arrivals".   I wound up watching Avatar: TLA like I watch 99% of anime.  Everything sequentially over a few nights.  There was a marathon on NickToons and I DVR'd it.  I liked it so much I picked up the DVDs and watched it all over again.  
Post by Hothead (260 posts) See mini bio Level 8
It is not.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
Is there a word for anime style, but not necessarily made in Japan?
Post by JoMate (32 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@ethan said:
" Is there a word for anime style, but not necessarily made in Japan? "
fanime, foreign anime (I just made this up, it is not official)
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@jomate said:
" @ethan said:
" Is there a word for anime style, but not necessarily made in Japan? "
fanime, foreign anime (I just made this up, it is not official) "
These people might want to have a word with you about that....
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel