I'm Slowly loosing hope..

Topic started by SpikeSpiegel88 on Oct. 28, 2011. Last post by thekokapelli 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by SpikeSpiegel88 (29 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I started getting really into animes at around 17. My first show was Neon Genesis, which blew my mind as well as wierded me out. My first shonen was Naruto, which i caught up to in a week. I then went onto my two favorite shows FMA and Cowboy bebop....

Aaanyways, a few years later and I had watched all the major "high quality" animes, as I like to call em. (Wolfs Rain, Last Exile, FMA, samurai champloo ect.) as well as owning the the complete Chibli collection. I then hit a sort of wall. I couldn't find anything that excited me anymore. There where some films here and there (tokyo godfathers..) but I really felt I had seen the best there where to offer and allot of the average ones.

When I started drama school In London, I ended up rewatching allot of my shows with mates that weren't that familiar with animes in general, in turn making em fans. Little time was used to look up new shows (because of what I just talked about but also because I was bussy with my life and learnings, and because we had every consoll and a big-ass tv:P) I had my weekly One piece episodes and from time to time I tried and failed at getting back into Bleach (God that show..) But other then that I sort of fell out of the system.

Now I have graduated at 23 and I decided to get back into the "world" of anime as it is... To my dissmay, I could still not find anything that interested me. I tried watching Eureka Seven, seeing as I hadn't watched a mecha in a while. It was .... allright, had it's moments, but protagonist annoyed me, and the people I first found interesting I sorta.. didn't care about anymore.... I looked for something ells but couldn't find anything that was anywhere near the quality of the shows I have seen and loved before..

I am slowly loosing hope in short-form anime, and even One piece, the only Shonen I still follow fully has it's moments of "why am I still watching this" .

I will follow OP till the end though, it's my not-guilty pleassure, just because it still has those moments where I am truly excited about whats to come, but short-form animes are just....completely lost to me now.

I miss FMAs sense of journey, grown up character development, great dialogues, non anime cliched handeling of interesting plots. Uniqeness. Cowboy Bebops smooth storytelling, dark overtoned sollum atmosphere, wit and style. Wolfs rain, Last Exile. Samurai Champloo,.. there are about ...13-14 shows I allways return to..

Am I spoiled of the great shows of the past? Do I expect too much ? Is anime on the decline? Or am I just really bad at looking for the right shows?

Post by AURON570 (552 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Sooooo, are you looking for suggestions? If you are then maybe make a suggestion thread. Off the top of my head, from this past year I would suggest watching Steins;gate. But I don't know, it sounds like real life is starting to kick in for you and your beginning to question why watch anime anyways. I watch anime mostly because it's interesting, fun, and I appreciate the work put into making anime. Obviously there's never going to be another anime like the anime that got you to take anime seriously, but that's just inevitable. And there is only ever going to be a single first time that you watch that series. But even if we rewatch old series, we can still make it interesting by looking at things differently. If some of the anime are boring you, maybe think about why they're boring you and what this says about the show, or about your own views. Then you can use this to look for other anime to watch, or maybe after thinking about these questions you can continue watching the series. That's what I do sometimes. You went to drama school, so I'm sure you have a lot of tools for thinking about anime in different ways. You should use these tools to think about what you're watching.

But of course this is only if you actually like watching anime, if you don't feel like watching anime, then don't. It shouldn't feel like a chore to watch anime, or to look for anime series to watch. I hope this helped in some way, you don't have to agree with me or do what I say, I just want to share the love of anime.

Post by rubberluffy (573 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

I miss FMAs sense of journey, grown up character development, great dialogues, non anime cliched handeling of interesting plots. Uniqeness.

Have you even watched FMA: Brotherhood?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,188 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@SpikeSpiegel88: Don't give up hope, there always good stuff on (you just have to look for it)

Post by Masako_Hihashi (594 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Baccano and Durarara are great series. A myriad of cool character, cool story and very good animation.

Katanagatari is also a great series and haves that strange Feudal Japan mixed with Modern Culture thing going on (Like Samurai Champloo but not quite) and haves a great story and characters.

If you like Gainax (The Studio behind Evangelion Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of Gainax most awesome series ever, Gunbuster is old but a great Sci-fi series, FLCL is just out of it's freaking mind.

For good graphic style I can reccomend The Big O, a smooth Retro Futuristic Noir Robot anime, SOULtaker a incredible series with one of the most kick-ass openings ever or Casshern Sins, that can make a boulder cry a river with it's overly dramatic plot ina post-apocaliptic wasteland.

Code Geass is a really good choice for Real Mecha anime with a magnificent plot and great characters.. Gundam 00 is also great and have some great moments

For shonen I can recommend Fairy Tail, a really great series. In Manga, Rave Master is awesome, and Eyeshield 21 is a surprisingly good choice for Sport anime.

GTO is a awesome anime and you'll laugh until you fall, Dai-guard is a parody of Giant Robot anime (or to Real Robots is hard to classify), but with really good characters and cool moments. (Can you imagine a Hot-blooded officinist piloting a Mecha?)

Dont lose hope there are thousands of awesome series.

Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@SpikeSpiegel88: try something that is not shonen, c'mon you're losing hope, and still haven't watch anything.

Kara no Kyoukai; Steins;Gates; Higurashi no naku koro ni; Umineko no naku koro ni

All of them are mind blowing

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Levance said:

@SpikeSpiegel88: try something that is not shonen, c'mon you're losing hope, and still haven't watch anything.

Kara no Kyoukai; Steins;Gates; Higurashi no naku koro ni; Umineko no naku koro ni

All of them are mind blowing

Levance read my mind. If you're having trouble with the standard action-adventure offerings, break away and try something different. I recently finished the first season of Kaiji and it's damned good although my personality type made it unpleasant to watch. Still, I found it very well written and logically plotted. No flights of fancy there. If you're set of something with "wizz-pow" I second Masako_Hihashi's recommendation of Katanagatari. I finished that just the other day and it's got a great art in addition to a lot of good dialogue.

Of course, you could just be uninterested in anime. People grow out of things all the time. I do believe you might be holding the entire medium to a higher standard above the norm. If the shows you mentioned are the best of the best, would you use those same standards for other entertainment? If films like The Godfather or Casablanca were what introduced you to film, would you still be unable to enjoy Dumb and Dumber or Demolition Man? I don't believe that every show or film needs to be a masterpiece for us to still find entertainment value in it. Sometimes, checking your brain at the door and settling down to some mindless silly action or comedy can be rewarding in itself.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
You have to look in the right spots for great anime! Looks like you need a bit of help. :P
Here's some good recent (within the last +/- 5 years) anime: * means high recommend
  • Baccano! (Action, drama) *
  • Durarara!! (Drama, romance) *
  • Sengoku Basara {This one is my guilty pleasure} (Action, Fantasy)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood {redo of FMA. Follows the manga} (Action, adventure, fantasy) *
  • Guilty Crown (Romance, sci-fi, action)
  • No. 6 (Drama, romance, mystery) Warning! boy/boy kiss!
  • Tiger And Bunny (Sci-fi, superhero, action) *
  • Sword of The Stranger (Historical, action, seinen--intended for older men) *
  • Shiriguri (Historical, action, seinen)
  • Darker Than Black (Action, sci-fi, neo-noir) *
  • Ghost Hound (Psychological, mystery)
  • Death Note {maybe a bit old...} (Mystery, psychological, dark fantasy) *
  • Switch (Noir, police procedural, mystery)
  • Pale Cocoon (Sci-fi, post apocalypse)
  • Pandora Hearts (Fantasy)
  • Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (Comedy, parody, fantasy)
  • Toradora (Slice of life, comedy, romance)
  • Code Geass (Action, sci-fi)
  • Full Metal Panic! (Romance, action, comedy)
  • Black Lagoon (Action) *
  • Kaze No Stigma (Fantasy, romance)
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,321 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@rubberluffy said:

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

I miss FMAs sense of journey, grown up character development, great dialogues, non anime cliched handeling of interesting plots. Uniqeness.

Are you saying Brotherhood is cliche,has no development ,bad dialogues and no journey.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,188 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@MrASSH0LE said:

@rubberluffy said:

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

Are you saying Brotherhood is cliche,has no development ,bad dialogues and no journey.

Post by rubberluffy (573 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@MrASSH0LE said:

@rubberluffy said:

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

Actually, I would say there's no reason to watch FMA2003. He was talking about how great that was and how he wished more shows were like it, and I asked if he watched FMA:B.

@PenguinDust:I'm still hoping for Umineko's second season though ;(; if it made in the future, the fans that only watch the anime, will think that Eva-Beatrice is a saint when Erika make her entry

@PenguinDust: .. and everyone ells..

* Firstly, I never said I haven't watched NOR that I don't like FMA:Brotherhood. I have watched both shows, own and read the manga several times and when I said FMA I meant both of them, and that they are bloddy fantastic. Don't know why you would think I put down Brotherhood:P

* This is not a suggestion thread, though I will take any you might want to give me. It was just something I had to get out of my head, a frustration towards my inability to find interesting animes in later years. frustration that I might be loosing interest in something I used to love because of perhaps growing older/lack of interesting shows out there..

* Thirdly, I don't just watch Shonens, I hardly do. I just happeed to mention One piece as a long running show I still watch and Naruto as a show I saw early on. I have only seen a handfull of shonens because they are mainly shit and repetative;) I thought my points where quite clear in the blogg:P

I Mainly watch "short-form" animes, as I have mentioned allready, shows like FMA/B, Cowboy bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Wolfs Rain, Gungrave, Berserk, Samurai 7, Ghost in the shell, last exile, GTO (If you look at my avatar you would see I have seen it. I also own the complete manga+shonen junai) and a few more. I have seen plenty of pre 2009 but those and some more I can't think of atm (I used to have a list:P) are the ones I allways go by..

ANyways, to answer some of the suggestions. (thanks for the ones i might not have seen/heared of) Baccano I have seen, Blue lagoon as well, Romance animes are mostly too cringy or/and uninteresting for me, with exceptions, but not many. Fairy tail I read for a year but it got very very predictable and repetative. Death Note I hate with a passion for it's great premiss but shoddy excecution/dragged out story. Oh, how it fell..

Edit: About the whole, leave you mind at the door and enjoy some mindless action/comedy, Keeping things at too high of a standard:

It's probably true that I do that, it was one of my quarrels in my original post. The things Is, It's harder to apreciate (at least for me) a "silly" anime (I still enjoy allot of one piece) then it is to sit down and watch a b-movie when I am bored. It's hard to explain, but let me just put it simply like this: Harems bore me, kiddy cute sugar-cane valley girl trips over "oooh noo" /panty shots- doesn't interest me. So there allready you have to eliminate 30% of anime.

I loved the godfather trilogy, then I watched Goodfellas, and even though it had allot of similarities, I loved that too. Then I watched sopranos, and that was fricking awesome. Mean streets, once upon a time in america ect ect. These are all similar films/shows, but they are so well excecuted that the "cliches" doesn't matter, and they all have something unique. Whereas, In allot of anime, when you have seen one great show, im my sad experience, it's really hard to find shows with the same essence of the one you loved (in the first place), and then it's even less common that it's any good. Not asking for better, just adequitly good/interesting in it's own rights..

I DO have certain "standards", I love me some Breaking bad and mad men, but then again, I also watch How I met your mother and the occational stupid horror. It's just hard to have the same standards to anime I guess. And Yes, I aiin't good at finding new interesting anime shows anymore.. thats half the problem. It's just.. If they could do it back then with Cowboy bebop.. FMA... whatever.. why can't I find them now-adays??

IDK, maybe I don't even know what I) am talking about anymore...I'm babbling..

@SpikeSpiegel88:You're not asking for suggestion, however take some of the suggestions, and watch it, then you maybe will discover a new style that will suit you, and after that you'll regain your capability to find interesting series

Post by sickVisionz (4,241 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I had a similar experience with anime a few years ago and what really helped me out was forcing myself to look past shounen and explore other genres to see if any of them would interest me. I didn't enjoy every series in every genre, but I found something in each and I fell in love with anime again.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@SpikeSpiegel88 said:

And Yes, I aiin't good at finding new interesting anime shows anymore.. thats half the problem. It's just.. If they could do it back then with Cowboy bebop.. FMA... whatever.. why can't I find them now-adays??

Because back in the 90s, anime penetration was not high in the foreign market. Few shows were talked about by the fandom at large and while everyone can name Cowboy Bebop, few can name the shows that aired along side it. Now, there are fans for every sub-genre, every show, and they are praised and scorned long before even the first episode is aired. It makes for a very exciting time for the medium, but it also makes parsing gems more difficult. All the more so when there is no accounting for taste and I think Eureka Seven is great and you're crazy for viewing FMA as something more than mere pretty good.

So what I'm trying to say is, go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Post by avidwriter (5 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Lots of anime are aimed at the age group that you got into as. I too myself was very into anime when I was in HS and a little there-after. Now I'm only interested in watching the more serious movies but not series much. It's the nature of most anime, imo.

@Turambar: I'm not talking "fandome" I am talking quality of writing/animation and using an older show I like and holding it up with my inability to find good newer shows. Allready said this a few times now.

Ayways, Opinions are opinions, and Eureka was not as good as I had hoped. I liked the world, and at first some of the characters, but everyone was hyper emotional, the relationship between Eureka and Renton got very annoying rather then sweet, and It felt very much done before. They kept it casual, to then slap some out-of-the-blue serious as shit moments in our face, to then have an episode about football (just an example). The pace was off and I felt too much time was spent with renton and eurekas looped dialogues (repetative). They had some interesting character on the plane that would have been great to get fleshed out some more.(some did later on) Then there were all the things like "Seven swells" "day of love" or whatever it was called and all these things that in a very FFXIII way was just thrown around and then not allways explained, and if, not untill the later part of the show. I understand these plot teqniques very well, I have seen plenty of anime to know they can work.. but here it felt more to me like they could have either tones them down or had a bigger pay-off.. Most of the explanations had more of a "oh..ok" rather then a "aaaahh now I get it" effect on me.. I still watched the show and currently only have 9 episodes left, so it was still entertaining enough to watch trough, but it was far from great and I had high hopes for it from fans recomendation. There are more things I could say, but ill keep it to that.

And Yes FMA is a GEM. Fantastic Writing from dialogues to plot, A mass of great characters, great pacing, fantastic animation and design, unique ideas, epic scope, and the fact there are two versions of it, and even though I prefer the Manga/brotherhood version, the first animes approach was just as valid and very very fun.

@sickVisionz: Allready replied to this, I don't just watch shonens ^^.

@avidwriter: this is where I am mostly at..

Im currently going trough the suggestions people have been giving, taken out the ones I have allready seen and looking into ones that look interesting. Gonna say straight away though, if there is 5 chibi girls on the cover, I aiint watching it:P

Post by arch4non (21 posts) See mini bio Level 9

The anime industry seems to know exactly how crappy it has become and some studios have chosen to embrace it wholeheartedly.

Case in point:

@arch4non:I hated that part, c'mon is too cliche that the new girl is the same girl of the other day

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel