hey guys need help finding anything

Topic started by Organicalistic_ on July 23, 2010. Last post by PenguinDust 4 years, 1 month ago.
Post by Organicalistic_ (182 posts) See mini bio Level 12
so, i liked hellsing, and vamp hunter d, only anime xp i have aside from dbz as a kid, so what are some shows that u recommend
requirements are 
  • english audio, or dubbed
  • availability to watch online
  • good show
  • please reply when answering so i dont have to dig up this thread, thanks :)
Post by Organicalistic_ (182 posts) See mini bio Level 12
?
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
High School of the Dead, but there isn't a English dub. 

The show is worth watching, it's about freaking zombies. There's only three episodes available right now. You can find them on The Anime Network web site, the first two episodes are free to watch, but you have to be a paid subscriber to watch the third and probably the rest. Though there is someone on YouTube who is uploading them there, which allowed me to watch all three episodes.   
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@organicalistic_:   Do you have a Netflix account?  I ask because they have a few good animes up that you can watch via streaming.  If not, there is Hulu which might offer some stuff at no cost.  
  1. Last Exile is still up for another 2 weeks, so catch it now on Netflix (EDIT: it's on Hulu, too so you have time).  This is a steampunk story about a pair who find themselves guarding a girl aboard a skyship after "delivering" her to the craft.  It's one of the best animes made in my opinion. Instant Watch Link
  2. Blood: The Last Vampire.  Since you liked Vampire Hunter D, I'm going to assume you don't mind a bit of bloodletting in your shows.  This anime movie is about a vampire hunting in modern times. Instant Watch Link (side note: there is a live-action version out, too and up on the queue, too)
  3. Ninja Scroll. Another movie about hunting monsters.  This time it's ninjas doing the carving up.  Bloody action. Instant Watch Link  There is a series out, too but not online
  4. Appleseed. A sci-fi thriller about a neo-utopian city built after a great cataclysm.  Two cops, one a woman, the other her mostly cybernetic partner uncover a mysterious plot.  Instant Watch Link.  There is a sequel, too, Appleseed Ex Machina, but it isn't up for streaming there.

Over on Hulu, 
  1. Afro Samurai - Samuel Jackson is a black samurai and he's kickin' ass with attitude (movie: AS Resurrection)
  2. Samurai Champloo - 3 travelers cross 19th century Japan looking for a man who smells of sunflower seeds.
  3. Fullmetal Panic - a young (comically) stoic soldier is assigned to protect a scientist's daughter (there are 2 follow up series)
  4. Monster -  psychological and philosophical thriller about a doctor in pursuit of a patient involved in a series of murders
  5. Gurren Lagann - a tongue-in-cheek homage to giant robot series with over the top everything.  Top notch series.
  6. Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series since "Brotherhood" isn't dubbed yet) - two brothers search for something they lost and suffering the consequences of a past decision.
  7. Desert Punk - the first half of the series is pretty funny about a lecherous mercenary in a post apocalyptic desert, the 2nd half is more serious as he accepts an apprentice.  
  8. Vandread - a space action series about a couple of guys on an all-female crewed spaceship, "harem" elements, but nothing offensive to the average viewer. Lots of action.
  9. Gunslinger Girl - Child assassins in Italy. Kind of similar to live action movies, The Professional and La Femme Nikita.  There is a sequel series but only 2 eps are dubbed.
  10. Slayers Revolution & Slayers Evolution-R - Fantasy action comedy series.  This is the 4th season from the series.  The first 3 were made a decade before this one.
  11. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross - Classic series from the early 80's which was edited to become Robotech.  There is more in this original version and better voices.
  12. Strike Witches - Really, has to be seen to be believed. International squad a teenage girls fight mysterious aliens during the WWII time...pantsless (but with undies on).  Certainly, not for everyone and down right offensive to some, but I found the story and characters sweet in spite of its blatant sexualized nature.  When some folks choose to complain about anime, this is one of the examples why.  There is currently a sequel series airing in Japan which can be viewed online subbed.

I'm relatively sure all of these are dubbed anime, but I didn't start up each one.  If you come to enjoy anime, you'll be better off getting used to subbed anime since a lot more stuff is available in that format and, as odd as it sounds, the voice work is often better.  If you watch enough of it, it becomes second nature reading the subtitles.
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@PenguinDust: A dub version of Brotherhood is on Adult Swim, there on episode 26.  

I'm not sure if this is still possible, but I think you can watch past episodes on the Adult Swim's web site.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Kou_Leifoh:  I didn't even think of Adult Swim.  Good call on that one.  I'm just finishing up the subbed series myself (ep 57 currently of 64).  I think it's a good idea to see the original series first anyway because the first 30 or so episodes from that are loosely compacted into the first dozen episodes of Brotherhood, and there is a lot of characterization lost due to that abbreviation which I believe is still worth watching.  After that, the two depart significantly, but for me, knowing more about Rose and Yoki adds to their personality.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel