Help me pick a mecha series

Topic started by Sharp on Dec. 15, 2008. Last post by Kuro 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by Sharp (35 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I've never gotten into mecha series like Gundam or Robotech, but I've built a few model kits.  I've often wanted to find a place to start with them, but I'm never sure where to begin.  I'm thinking about buying some new DVDs, and I want to pick a mecha series to get started with.
Does anybody here want to suggest something for me?  I'm looking for something with a military style, as opposed to a giant monster style.  Gundam, as opposed to Eva.  I'm looking for something specific, too.  I know there are lots of Gundam series, for instance.  If Gundam is the way to go, which series of it should I get?  

I'd prefer something that was easy to pick up on.  I don't mind if it's complex or anything, but I'd prefer it if I didn't have to know years of back story to understand what's going on.

Ideas?
Post by Kamen_Rider_Kajiki (90 posts) See mini bio Level 4
want something new ? Gate Keepers is worth the try :)
Post by Bertmasta (151 posts) See mini bio Level 6
mecha?, have you seen Tengen toppa gurren lagann?
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
It seems to me he's looking for Real Robot shows, so I doubt Gate Keepers really fits the bill and I'm certain Gurren Lagann doesn't. I'd try the Universal Century Gundam shows like the original and 08th MS Team as well as the Macross shows (with the exception of 7.) You might also enjoy Full Metal Panic!, which despite a key plot element pulling it away from pure "reality", has some of the best Real Robot mech design.

Remember that "mecha" is a very vast genre, and even splitting it between Real and Super Robots leaves a lot of variables. If you haven't watched a lot of anime, the best way to find out exactly what you want is to try out a lot of shows, and eventually you'll be able to tell on your own whether or not you'll like a series.
Sigue said:
"It seems to me he's looking for Real Robot shows, so I doubt Gate Keepers really fits the bill and I'm certain Gurren Lagann doesn't. I'd try the Universal Century Gundam shows like the original and 08th MS Team as well as the Macross shows (with the exception of 7.) You might also enjoy Full Metal Panic!, which despite a key plot element pulling it away from pure "reality", has some of the best Real Robot mech design.

Remember that "mecha" is a very vast genre, and even splitting it between Real and Super Robots leaves a lot of variables. If you haven't watched a lot of anime, the best way to find out exactly what you want is to try out a lot of shows, and eventually you'll be able to tell on your own whether or not you'll like a series."
oh ye nice Full Metal Panic is awesome
Post by Sharp (35 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Actually, I have seen a lot of anime.  Started with Voltron on American television way back in the day, before I even knew what "anime" was.  I watched what I could throughout the years, including Slayers, Tenchi, Ranma, and others.  Nobody around me was ever into mecha though, so I never got introduced.
In the last few years, anime has become a much bigger part of my life.  I run Tampa Bay Anime, an anime club in Florida, and I'm in charge of gathering and showing the latest anime to our crew.  Unfortunately, most of them aren't really into mecha, either, so I haven't had much of a reason to get involved with it.  Now, though, I want to further my anime education, and mecha is a huge, gaping hole in it.  

Sigue's suggestions sound like they are on the right track.  I'm looking for more "real" robots right now.  I've dabbled in plenty of more fanciful ones (like Escaflowne), but I'm thinking of something realistic right now.  The only thing I know about Full Metal Panic! is about a comedy show involving a super-serious soldier in school.  Fumofu, maybe?  I didn't realize there was a serious mecha show attached.   Interesting.

As for the others, I've seen one episode of Gate Keepers (it's a mecha show?) and I'm three episodes into Gurren Lagaan (love it).  Thanks for the tips.  Keep 'em comin'!
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
If you want really military-style mecha, there's Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team. There's also Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 if you want Top Gun with mechs. The Macross series is fine too, especially original, Plus and Zero. There's also Votoms, another military mecha series.
Sharp said:
"Actually, I have seen a lot of anime.  Started with Voltron on American television way back in the day, before I even knew what "anime" was.  I watched what I could throughout the years, including Slayers, Tenchi, Ranma, and others.  Nobody around me was ever into mecha though, so I never got introduced.
In the last few years, anime has become a much bigger part of my life.  I run Tampa Bay Anime, an anime club in Florida, and I'm in charge of gathering and showing the latest anime to our crew.  Unfortunately, most of them aren't really into mecha, either, so I haven't had much of a reason to get involved with it.  Now, though, I want to further my anime education, and mecha is a huge, gaping hole in it.  

Sigue's suggestions sound like they are on the right track.  I'm looking for more "real" robots right now.  I've dabbled in plenty of more fanciful ones (like Escaflowne), but I'm thinking of something realistic right now.  The only thing I know about Full Metal Panic! is about a comedy show involving a super-serious soldier in school.  Fumofu, maybe?  I didn't realize there was a serious mecha show attached.   Interesting.

As for the others, I've seen one episode of Gate Keepers (it's a mecha show?) and I'm three episodes into Gurren Lagaan (love it).  Thanks for the tips.  Keep 'em comin'!
"
plain "Full metal panic" is the more serious one
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Sharp said:
'' I've seen one episode of Gate Keepers (it's a mecha show?) and I'm three episodes into Gurren Lagaan (love it).  Thanks for the tips.  Keep 'em comin'!"
well actually it started as a IDKW anime, it ended as mecha series and it was also many things inbetween XD
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
BIG - O

thats all Im going to say, hopefully the hint will have been enough ;D
Post by Zorn (131 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Full metal panic
Post by Sonata (35,159 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Godannar, and Gravion, both cool and very funnyXD
Post by Oni (49 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Resonate said:
"BIG - O

thats all Im going to say, hopefully the hint will have been enough ;D"
Yes!!!! Big-O
Post by Sonata (35,159 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Oni said:
"Resonate said:
"BIG - O

thats all Im going to say, hopefully the hint will have been enough ;D"
Yes!!!! Big-O"
Yeah Big-O is awesome^^
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
If he needs a real mecha show... Gundam Wing.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel