Hello There! Any ideas for my next anime watch?

Topic started by dbz1995 on July 10, 2010. Last post by Acura_Max 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by dbz1995 (14 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Some of you may know me from the Giantbomb boards. I'm not the biggest fan of anime-far from it-but I've been in the mood lately, and have gotten through a fair bit. I've already seen The Book of Bantorra, Gurren Lagann, Naruto (and am currently watching through the Shippuden series), Pokemon, Dragonball, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Dragonball Z. But I don't know what to watch now. I'm not looking for anything massive-that's what Naruto is for-but I would want to watch an anime with these requirements:

• I would prefer if it was less than 30 episodes, although if it is less than 50 I'll still consider it
  • I want a good dose of action and crazy-ass shit going on.
  • It has to be finished (so no Bleach). I just want to watch and watch, and not wait for a goddamn week to get the next episode.

My favourite anime so far has been Gurren Lagann followed by Avatar: The Last Airbender, so that should give you some kind of hint as to what I enjoy.
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
If that's what you've watched so far then I'd suggest going with something a little more classic since the other things seem more recent. Cowboy Bebop was what got me into Anime and it meets the requirements you put up there.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Soul Eater is 51 episodes (close enough, right?), it's got some great action, is bat shit crazy when it wants to be and it's done.  The whole series is available on Hulu so there's no waiting either.
 @obscurefan:  I'll probably try out Cowboy Bebop-heard good things from it. Thanks! Any more suggestions?
@sickVisionz:  Somewhere, I have heard of Soul Eater-maybe I'd started it, I'm not sure. Thank you, though!
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,755 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@dbz1995:  Berserk is a little bit violent but it's nice, have 25 episodes packed of action. 
Casshern Sins is simply awesome. 
Bt'x is a little bit Old but fullfiling. 
New Getter Robo (OVA's) is Giant Robot Batshit Crazyness at it's finest. 
Jojo Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (OVA's) Big muscled characters and mysterious powers... 
Hokuto No Ken Ten no Haoh A good start point for one the bloodiest anime franchises ever.
Post by godeater (2,041 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@dbz1995: well theres   yu yu hakusho it has about 100 episodes a boy who can shoot raikai throught his finger
then theres fairy tail 20ish episodes -boy who can turn into a dragon and stuff yeah sounds like breath of fire:P
darker than black -detective with superpowers
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@dbz1995: Well sticking with the more classic series if you like Gurren Lagann I'd suggest Evangelion. It's by the same people who made GL and even though its far more serious with an ending people are split on, the action is very similar.
Post by BestChancethor (13 posts) See mini bio Level 2

I personally like: 

Guyver- Action, Kid accidentally discovers a biosuit and fights monsters after him. Plot is ehh. Just turn your brain off and watch if you try it. 
Trigun: My personal all time favorite. Space Western. Not too violent. Follows the story of Vash, a man with a $$60,000,000,000 double dollar bounty on his head. 
                        -It' also really funny as Vash has a good personality 
Ruroni Kenshin: I'm sure it's a lot of people's favorites around her. Story about a Samurai who made his name as the "manslayer" during a war and his encounters after 
                                where he decides to never kill again. 
Death Note: Not sure how to classify this. Kid discovers a book called a deathnote which allows him to write names in it to kill people. His intentions start off good but he also draws the attention of a great detective. Not very violent but I was kept on the edge of my seat the whole time. 

Hope you try one of these! but let us know what you try. BTW Im pretty sure all of these are under 30 episodes except maybe Kenshin has about 50
@BestChancethor said:
" I personally like:  Guyver- Action, Kid accidentally discovers a biosuit and fights monsters after him. Plot is ehh. Just turn your brain off and watch if you try it. Trigun: My personal all time favorite. Space Western. Not too violent. Follows the story of Vash, a man with a $$60,000,000,000 double dollar bounty on his head.                         -It' also really funny as Vash has a good personality Ruroni Kenshin: I'm sure it's a lot of people's favorites around her. Story about a Samurai who made his name as the "manslayer" during a war and his encounters after                                 where he decides to never kill again. Death Note: Not sure how to classify this. Kid discovers a book called a deathnote which allows him to write names in it to kill people. His intentions start off good but he also draws the attention of a great detective. Not very violent but I was kept on the edge of my seat the whole time.  Hope you try one of these! but let us know what you try. BTW Im pretty sure all of these are under 30 episodes except maybe Kenshin has about 50 "
I remember watching some of Ruroni Kenshin, I just forgot its name
Post by MercuryCrusader (37 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@Kuma_From_Argentina said:
New Getter Robo (OVA's) is Giant Robot Batshit Crazyness at it's finest. "

Quoting the hell out of this, it's a great reimagining of a classic Super Robot show.  On that same note, if you can find a way to watch them, I'd also recommend Shin Mazinger and, to a lesser extent, Koutetsushin Jeeg.
Post by HystericDolls (8 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I'd recommend Baccano!, or Durrarara!. They're made by the same studio, and the animation, plot, animation, characters... Anything you can think of in those both anime are pretty much exemplar, in my opinion.
Post by macker33 (528 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Wow,this is really really simple,,watch Black lagoon,,action nearly every episode and no real filler to speak of...be warned,there is a lot of bad language... 

Alright then. So now I've seen pretty much every anime listed on here-may I necro this thread to get more recommendations?

Hajime no Ippo is my favourite anime now-it's really funny, and has some good action in it also.

@macker33: Loved Black Lagoon-will probably watch through the whole thing again in series during the summer holidays.

@HystericDolls: I watched Durarara! and it is probably my joint second favourite anime now (along with Avatar-Gurren Lagann went down on my list of favourites, even though it's still great). Tried watching through Baccano! and didn't really get hooked.
Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I'd give Trigun a try if you like action and humor.  It starts off with a bunch of gunfights and laughs, but after a while it gets really dark, but stays good.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I want a good dose of action and crazy-ass shit going on

Based on this, I recommend Evangelion.  
Its made by the same studio who did Gurren Lagann. 
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Can you tell us more about what you like in an anime? Is it something specific about titles like hajime no ippo and gurren lagaan or do you just like them in general? For now I'll just give you a bunch of series that have action with some wacky characters and if you enjoy one just tell me and I'll recommend more similar to it. 

Air gear
angel beats
full metal alchemist (either of them are good)
Getbackers 
outlaw star (the dub is really good)
Great Teacher Onizuka (a personal favorite of mine) 

Hi again! I just finished watching through the Legend of Korra-and loved it to bits-and once again I'm on a nice little anime hunt. I think whilst I do want a nice bit of action, I love my characters characterised-hence why I love Hajime no Ippo, Avatar (though that's more because of the action) and Baccano so much.

Post by Acura_Max (2,338 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@dbz1995: Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - It has actions scenes that are well animated. I found some of the uses of alchemy to be quite inventive. It has a good plot and one of the saddest deaths of a side character I have ever seen. The good news is that it is free on youtube. The bad news is that it has about 63 episodes. I know you wanted an anime under 30 episodes, but this is roughly the number of episodes as Avatar the Last Airbender.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel