Heavily Symbolic Anime

Topic started by thekokapelli on Aug. 5, 2011. Last post by takashichea 3 years ago.
Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Anime like Wolf's Rain, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Haibane Renmei, RahXephon and others like them are both a joy and a frustration  to interpret.  We have to take Japanese conventions into account when interpreting symbols and imagery, which makes it harder but no less fun.  So this forum is for  those of us (many who might be literature or film buffs) who love extended metaphors, double entendres, and complex symbolism.  If there's an anime that you enjoy dissecting and/or if you need a little help, post here.  It's always good to discuss.
Post by takashichea (11,808 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I would put Serial Experiments Lain even though it has no symbols. I put Lain because I heard the author is upset that people misunderstood the message in the anime series. Plus, the series is bizarre and the boundaries of reality tends to be blurry with all these psychological stuff.

It's been a long time since I saw this anime. (about 8 years ago or so)

Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@takashichea said:

I would put Serial Experiments Lain even though it has no symbols. I put Lain because I heard the author is upset that people misunderstood the message in the anime series. Plus, the series is bizarre and the boundaries of reality tends to be blurry with all these psychological stuff.

It's been a long time since I saw this anime. (about 8 years ago or so)

I don't feel qualified to discuss that one because I haven't seen it yet.  (I definitely want to see it, though).  Have you seen Texholyze or Paranoia Agent by any chance? A lot of people who like Lain like those. 
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Howcome Evangelion hasn't been mentioned? Rarely have I seen something that plays with the audiences minds so much. It's simbology deals with pretty much every major religion and even things like the quantum mechanics and relativity.

Post by takashichea (11,808 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@thekokapelli:

Not yet. I heard of Texholyze from Superevil225 and Shels. It's pretty dark and violent, I think. I will go try it out.

Thank you, thekokapelli.

For heavily symbolic anime, I guess I put down Hetalia because their characters are representations of their countries. How they interact with each other reflects the real history of the countries.

Would references to religion count in this thread?

I got a disturbing franchise: Seikon no Qwaser. Despite its fan service and breast feeding, the franchise ties to Christianity, Ethnic Cleansing in Yugoslavia (see Teresa Beria), and other stuff. I believe the manga does a better job of it.

@Black_Rose:

I admit I never watch Evangelion. I definitely agree.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel