Haibane Renmei vs Angel Beats

Topic started by zaldar on May 17, 2012. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 1 month ago.
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15

So after two females (who I probably wouldn't have listened to if they were male....being single and all) recommended angel beats to me I started checking it out. First episode left me cold...oh look its a k-on clone. Second and third episode deepened things considerably. Interestingly I find myself wondering if there is some cross pollination between this and Haibane Renmei. I have not finished it yet but themes seem to be remarkably similar though I would call Angel Beats a little more accessible. (and Haibane Renmei so far greatly the superior show). At one point one of the characters go so far as to say "none of us killed ourselves" which COULD be seen as a rather obvious smack at Haibane Renmei...thoughts?

Cross posting this in a couple places so if you see it twice sorry...

Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24
You're probably the first person to label Angel Beats a K-on clone. Angel and Haibane have a similar premise but I don't think AB was taking shots at HR. I never got what makes Haibane so great. To me its one of those shows that gets the "serious anime bonus" where an extra 3/10 is added to the score because its not comedy, action, or fanservice.

Wow...well I won't argue with you as I totally disagree as it is one of the most moving shows I have ever watched and the only anime show so far to make me cry. The K-On connection was with some of the character designs and the importance of music in the first episode and in the show generally judging from the opening...and the fact frankly that the music in the opening at least was freaking incredible. (much like in HR which had some of the best anime music I have ever heard). The songs the bad have done so far couple episodes in haven't done much for me.

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Don't think I've ever heard anyone call Angel Beats a K-on ripoff before, I really can't think of any similarities at all. People originally called Yurippe a Haruhi ripoff though.

Angel Beats is mostly a comedy with some serious moments sprinkled throughout. Shame it wasn't a 26 episode show.

Post by Dream (7,261 posts) See mini bio Level 20

One of the all-time anime greats of the last decade against a Key work that, while not of the typical dating sim variety like their older works, is still quite rushed in their developments? Gee, I wonder who I would support? (*coughhaibanecough*)

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,190 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I like them both equally, for different reasons (but I wish Haibane Renmei was cheaper)

@Destinyheroknight: Funimation had licensed the show and other Geneon works a while back. Problem is Funi has been having difficulty getting the material to the licensed titles from Japan since Geneon is still going through a merger with the Japan branch of Universal. We're slowly getting Geneon titles re-released with Ergo Proxy and Ai Yori Aoshi being the most recent titles announced for summer releases.

@Petiew: I was going of the use of music in the first episode.

oh yes even half way through when it became incredibly serious HR is a MUCH better show

@Dream: Hell YES! Now I can feel even better about recommending it to people. Though their description gives a little to much away it still won't destroy the power of the series. If I didn't all ready own it (and the music CD) I would be especially giddy right now.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel