Gundams, Gundams everywhere

Topic started by rubberluffy on Dec. 21, 2011. Last post by Masako_Hihashi 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by rubberluffy (569 posts) See mini bio Level 16

So I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the past 2 days, and I was thinking about how the only Gundam series I've seen are Gundam Wing (kinda meh on this one, but Endless Waltz was awesome) and G Gundam (love this shit). I've also seen 08th MS Team but barely remember it, outside of liking it. So, what are some recommended Gundam series I should also see?

Also, I've been enjoying using Garrod/Double X and Banagher Links/Unicorn a lot. How are their respective animes? And what kind of name is Banagher anyway?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,170 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Gundam 00 is pretty good (it kind of like Gundam Wing)

But stay away from Gundam Seed Destiny if you know what good for you

Post by rubberluffy (569 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Destinyheroknight:

I watched like 3 episodes of Seed and didn't like it or hate it (not enough to get a feel I guess), but never came back to it. What is wrong with Destiny? Does it just come off the rails?

@rubberluffy:

Well, they use fight scenes over and over. (Really annoying characters) that about all, since I haven't see it in a long time

@ReplicaRex:

Gundam Wing has a total of maybe 12 animation scenes?

Really!? Well, I haven't saw it since I was 15

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@rubberluffy said:

So I've been playing a lot of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the past 2 days, and I was thinking about how the only Gundam series I've seen are Gundam Wing (kinda meh on this one, but Endless Waltz was awesome) and G Gundam (love this shit). I've also seen 08th MS Team but barely remember it, outside of liking it. So, what are some recommended Gundam series I should also see?

Also, I've been enjoying using Garrod/Double X and Banagher Links/Unicorn a lot. How are their respective animes? And what kind of name is Banagher anyway?

Gundam Unicorn is an on-going OVA. It's up to 4 episodes thus far out of a planned total of 6 I believe. Because it's an OVA, its episodes have very, very high production values. However, it also comes at the heel of the Universal Century time-line. As such, it references characters and events from previous shows in the timeline, and you would need to, if not watch, at least read the wikipedia plot summaries of these following shows: Gundam, Stardust Memories, Gundam Z, Gundam ZZ, and Char's Counter Attack. That said, it's still very watchable on its own merits. Also Banagher is a very Tomino name, in the same league as Glemy Toto, Haman Karn, and Ramba Ral.

Gundam X is a late 90s show that was actually produced right after, and thus overshadowed by Gundam Wing. It takes place in the Alternate Universe timeline, and is thus completely standalone. The show itself is all about newtypes more so than any other Gundam show. Story is a bit cheesy and it's animation is very 90s, though not as poor as Wing, but I still enjoyed it greatly.

I'll also leave this link for you, which I leave for anyone that wonders what show in the Gundam franchise to watch.

http://werememberlovespecials.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/finding-your-gateway-gundam/

Post by DocHaus (925 posts) See mini bio Level 18

@rubberluffy: 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket. Also I'd recommend watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam if you can stomach the older animation.

00 Gundam might be worth watching, but personally, I couldn't sit through the whole series.

Post by Kuro_San (1,338 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@rubberluffy: Gundam Unicorn is a piece of art, animation, story and music wise, but you need encyclopedic knowledge about the Main Gundam timeline U.C (Universal Century)

After War Gundam X (Garrod Series) is pretty good I didnt managed to end it but it seemed awesome....

Gundam Age (The newest Gundam series) is a good starting point, or if you want to get hardcore watch the original trilogy (I still need to watch ZZ Gundam with the annoying Judah Astha as protagonist, and the goddamned Beecha! I hate those two so freaking much) Gundam, Gundam Z and Gundam ZZ.

Gundam 00 is a pretty good choice, but stay away from the unholy mount of excrement called Gundam Seed, you're going to hate Kira Yamato (the protagonist) Everyone I know that watched Seed hates Yamato as if he was poison.

G Gundam is the wild card, some people (as me) love it even beyond the goofiness and bizarre uber hot blooded fights, and most of the others hate it even worse than how they hate Yamato....

Stardust Memory is also incredible, but you need to watch at least original Gundam to understand it..

Post by FulgoreSenpai (14 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Destinyheroknight said:

LOL, I can understand why you don't like it but I do. Since you're playing gundam 3 ( I do too) you should give seed another shot. I'm infatuated with Athrun for reasons I can't explain.

Why I say that is because playing the character in the game helped me build a liking for the corresponding show the character is on.

00 is pretty cool, doesn't pickup for me until the late into 1st season. season 2 gets better. The game is actually making me want to watch more gundam too so I know the feeling.

and if you like 00, the dlc is majority 00 characters.

@FulgoreSenpai said:

@Destinyheroknight said:

LOL, I can understand why you don't like it but I do. Since you're playing gundam 3 ( I do too) you should give seed another shot. I'm infatuated with Athrun for reasons I can't explain.

Why I say that is because playing the character in the game helped me build a liking for the corresponding show the character is on.

00 is pretty cool, doesn't pickup for me until the late into 1st season. season 2 gets better. The game is actually making me want to watch more gundam too so I know the feeling.

and if you like 00, the dlc is majority 00 characters.

It warrants noting that an HD version of Gundam Seed is currently being reaired in Japan.  So if you want more of Athrun, I'm sure there are means to watch subtitled versions of it.

@FulgoreSenpai:

Thanks, but playing a game or rewatching will not change my views

Also I already rewatch it, it just make me madder (thanks to my friend for making me watch it with him)

Post by Masako_Hihashi (594 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@FulgoreSenpai: Heretic! I'll smith you in the all-powerful name of Tomino-sama!!! KILL'EM ALL!!!!!

@Destinyheroknight:

Well as long as you tried it I can't blame you. ( but c'mon, its because of Kira or Shin right? couldn't possibly because of Athrun hehe)

@Turambar said:

It warrants noting that an HD version of Gundam Seed is currently being reaired in Japan. So if you want more of Athrun, I'm sure there are means to watch subtitled versions of it.

yes I am happy about the HD version. :)

@Masako_Hihashi said:

@FulgoreSenpai: Heretic! I'll smith you in the all-powerful name of Tomino-sama!!! KILL'EM ALL!!!!!

I'm fine if you dont like SEED, but i'll defend Athrun 'till the END!

@FulgoreSenpai: Athrun is not even a cheap knock off of Char. And dont make start with Kira....

Long Live the Red Comet! I'll Colony Drop your heretic ass!!!

@Masako_Hihashi: Do you have Athrun confused with Rau Le Creuset? If it helps I don't like Kira in Destiny.

what I have to say to you is " This hand of mine glows with an awesome power, it tells me to defeat you!"

@Masako_Hihashi said:

@FulgoreSenpai: Athrun is not even a cheap knock off of Char. And dont make start with Kira....

Long Live the Red Comet! I'll Colony Drop your heretic ass!!!

Everyone knows the best Char clones were Jamil and Harry Ord anyways. 

@FulgoreSenpai: Atrhun

• Red Mobile Suits (Or Reddish)
  • Is the rival of the protagonist
  • Is the mentor of the second series protagonist
  • Uses sun glasses and a silly name to hide his identity...

That smells like a char clone

@Turambar: You're right, but my personal favourites are Scwharz Bruder and Mr. Bushido

@Masako_Hihashi:

Close enough. I just meant as far as masks go like Zechs and stuff.

To be honest, I'm actually still pretty new to anime in general. As far as Gundam goes I've only been able to watch W, G, 00 and SEED.

I remembered watching anime shows on toonami, and roughly a year and a half ago I got the urge to watch those shows again.

I enjoyed the above mentioned ones and bought some anime related games like the dynasty warriors Gundam games.

I saw those other characters like Amuro, Kamille, Garrod and it made me want to watch the series with them in it.

I recently found Animechannel on youtube and it has mobile suit gundam, z and zz. I just started a few days ago

... so you can blame my "herecy" on my naiveness or newbieness i guess :)

@FulgoreSenpai: Dont worry, I'm too fanboyish...

And about the Char clones they come in 3 types (The three different roles that Char Had on U.C

In Gundam 0079, Char was the Rival to the Hero

In Gundam Z, Char, under the paper thin disguise of Quattro Bajeena, was the Mentor of the Hero

In Char's Counter Attack (Movie) He goes bonkers and wants to colony drop Earth and live the fate of humanity to the spacenoids, turning into the Big Bad

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel