Gundam Wing vs SEED. Which is better?

Topic started by ohgodwhy on April 11, 2012. Last post by Dream 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by ohgodwhy (1,593 posts) See mini bio Level 12

This is topic which usually brings about debate. For me it's easily Gundam Wing. I prefer all the characters in Wing because they don't whine as much as they did in SEED. For me SEED was too immature in a manner of speaking. The war they fought wasn't very realistic at all, with crying teenagers fighting in wars they'd rather not. Wing was about teenagers who wanted to bring about pacifism but realized that in order to do so they would have to fight for it.

I guess I just preferred the more hardcore characters in Wing than the softer characters in SEED.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,342 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I would say Wing is better, SEED just to Emo for me (also Wing have the nostalgia factor to)

I guess what I mean to say is that I respect the main characters in Gundam Wing than in SEED because they just got on with the job. That's probably why almost all of Heero's enemies grew to respect him in the end.

I just rewatched the entire series on youtube a couple of days ago for the nostalgia :D It's even better now than it was in the past.

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

SEED for me. Wing bored me to tears. I usually like series involving politics and back room shadiness but this one didn't do anything for me. Plus, almost all the fights look bad and the series is stuffed to the brim with them in almost every episode. The one thing I did like was the Dorothy character who seemed like a warmonger the entire time but near the end actually said that she strongly believed in peace but that the only way it could be achieved was by showing the world a war so horrific that they'd never want to goto war again. I thought that was a pretty awesomely twisted way at looking at things.

The characters in SEED are more interesting to me (Flay leads to so many awesome things and scenes), the fights actually look good imo, and I like the story better as well. While there isn't anyone as interesting and twisted as Dorothy, everyone else struck more of a cord with me than anyone in Wing.

I think both series drag on at a lot and are equally hurt be being maybe 15-20 episodes too long. The rule that any Gundam TV series must run for 52 episodes needs to go away.

@sickVisionz: Have you looked at any of the pre-stories for Gundam Wing. You can go on Gundam wiki and just see them on the character profiles. They're quite interesting and give an insight as to why all the main characters are they way they are.

I agree with the series running too long a little bit. I always tend to find that the Gundams in all series always become way too powerful later on in the series and it always just ends up being a Gundam v Gundam fight in the end because no one else really stands a chance.

Post by Kuro_San (1,339 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Wing is better, better characters, better designs, better openings (Rhythm Emotion is just too good, galvanizes 90's openings in one awesome song) And better Char Clone, much, much better Char Clone. Gundam series could be measured in the awesomeness of their Char Clones, and that would place SEED deeeeeeep down...

Post by sickVisionz (4,308 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@ohgodwhy: I didn't find them to be interesting. They all seemed pretty emotionally flat, boring to watch, and hard to feel anything for other than the circus dude to me. I shouldn't have to read a wiki to make the characters in the anime interesting imo. The anime should be able to get that across to me and if it can't, then it failed in that aspect.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Wing I guess just in terms over overall historical importance to the franchise along with the lack of backpack syndrome that characterized much of SEED's mecha designs.  That said, both shows are pretty bad.
Post by FadeToBlackBolt (35 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Love them both, I dislike Gundams having Bird Modes, so I generally preferred the MS' in Seed, but Wing certainly had a grittier feel to it, which helped considering the series are about war. Seed was a little too clean all the time.

I can't say which I prefer though, maybe Seed, because Mu is my favourite Gundam character ever.

@Kuro_San: Haha great comment.

I love the bird modes lol, each to his own I guess.

Post by FadeToBlackBolt (35 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@ohgodwhy: Just a little too Transformer-y for me. Whenever I see one, I just think "STARSCREAM!" =P

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I prefer Wing over Seed. Wing has all the unreasonable and illogical stuff I love from Gundam shows. Seed has a lot of those Gundam staples but, and this will sound odd, because the series is more focused that Wing, it loses much of the tension and spontaneity. When I first saw Wing, I didn't know what was going to happen next. With Seed, it was easier to predict. Seed has my favorite female Gundam character in Captain Ramius, but Wing has one of my all-time favorite anime heroes in Duo Maxwell. Point to Wing again.

It should be noted that Gundam Seed is a retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) with some updates and changes added to make it relevant to a new generation. I really prefer the original to Seed, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Seed, too. I wrote a few blogs covering the Seed sequel, Gundam Seed Destiny back in 2010. There are parallels between it and Zeta Gundam (1985), too especially the main hero being a complete ass. That's a step beyond the traditional half-ass that most Gundam protagonists are.

It's probably been a year since I've seen anything Gundam. MSG Age is only half done, so it will be sometime before I get around to that. I started Victory Gundam (1993) a while back but shelved it for some reason. I might try it again.

@FadeToBlackBolt: Lol yeah tbh I'm quite biased towards anything that transforms.

I'm gonna try watching after war gundam x. Anything good to say about that series? I believe it was one of the last ones before they changed the animation style.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@ohgodwhy: After War X on my "to do" list, too. All I know is that it's a non-canon series that supposedly begins after the end of the original series from 1979.

Post by Recall (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

G Gundam > Everything else.

Wing's story is a convoluted mess along with some equally annoying characters like in SEED.

Post by videodragon (11 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Recall: second on G

but if between these two. I like wing better. Deathsycthe hell FTW and Treize Khushrenada > Rau whatever his name is

Post by Vicarious (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I like Wing alot more. I couldn't really get into Seed all that much. Personally my favorite Gundam series was a little OVA called The 08th MS Team. Too bad it was so short.

Post by Dream (7,941 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Do I really have to choose between the bastardized continuities of the Gundam franchise (seeing as I mostly prefer Universal Century titles in my Gundam watches thus far)? :(

If I have to pick the least evil of the choices, I would have to go with Gundam Wing. Seed adapts too many elements from the Universal Century continuity in its failed attempt to create something different and it overdramatizes things way too much. Wing, at the very least, attempts to try for something different despite the questionable logic behind character decisions and ideology, as well as having some pretty grating and nutty characters (from Wufei's arrogant and sexist streak to Tsuborov's not-so-healthy obsession with the Mobile Dolls).

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel