Generally Unpopular/Controversial Anime Series (Guilty Pleasures)

Topic started by EquitasInvictus on Jan. 9, 2012. Last post by Azman 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by WatanabeKazuma (7 posts) See mini bio Level 5

@EquitasInvictus: I got round to watching the films, although my insistence on waiting for the official release of those hurt the overall experience a little if I'm honest. For something as plot-driven as that, time really does it no favors.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@EquitasInvictus said:

@WatanabeKazuma: I agree; especially on Eden of the East. Actually, I feel like this community is kind of an outlier in terms of the general reception of it here. I really liked Eden of the East, although I never really followed it up with the films as much as I meant to.

Same. Very much enjoyed Eden of the East, though I haven't seen either film yet (which seems to be the main draw of ire for the series as a whole).

My guilty pleasure is Zero no Tsukaima. After the first season it was reduced to little more than fanservice, but the finale to season 2 still holds a special place in my heart. Characters rarely get more awesome than taking on a whole army solo, knowing the outcome won't turn out particularly favorably.

Post by Sonata (35,383 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Mine I believe was Girls Bravo! and Agent Aika:)
Post by FulgoreSenpai (14 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I really like slice of life anime alot, would that alone kinda count as guilty pleasure. Since its based alot on you liking the character as opposed to an actual plot.

I hope that made sense. For example, I like Pani Poni Dash! more than I should. not sure of its popularity so it might fit for me as unpopular, at least compared to lucky star or azumanga daioh!

Thats usually how it is with me and slice of life anime though so thats why I would like to say the entire genre.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

My favorite genre is romantic-comedy so I tend to see a lot of harem and similar type shows. They get a lot of flak from people who don't like the current state of anime. So, I'd need to start with those:

1. Maburaho
  2. Rosario+Vampire
  3. Sekirei
  4. Zero no Tsukaima
  5. Negima

Now if you're someone who despises shoujo (manga/anime targeted at girls) then that's another genre I enjoy that separates me from its detractors. Honestly, I got into "magical girl" anime because there was an article on AV asking why no one makes magical girl anime anymore. Obviously, I am not the target demographic but I like the hopeful stories and usually there's more time given in these shows to character development than in shounen (boys anime). Over the last couple of years I've rewatched Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and still found them captivating. Shugo Chara recently exceeded my expectations. My greatest joy comes from the Pretty Cure/PreCure franchise, though. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 4 seasons as well as season 7 (HeartCatch PreCure). I've only seen about 75% of season 5, Yes PreCure 5 but liked it, too. I am looking forward to sitting down and watching Suite PreCure when it wraps up at the end of this month. My avatar is currently Erika Kurumi (aka Cure Marine) from HeartCatch.

There is also a laundry list of non-harem romances like Maison Ikkoku, Nodame Cantabile, Aishiteruze Baby and His and Her Circumstance which while aren't that controversial, aren't popular with the wider audience of anime fandom. Slice-of-life comedies like Hidamari Sketch and A Channel would be included, too. Since it's hard to talk about them with others that might classify them as guilty pleasures.

As far as straight up controversy goes, though I'd say that Seikon no Qwaser (season 1) best fits the criteria for this thread. Yes, it's about titty-sucking but it still has an entertaining story and some good action scenes. The fact that it also has the most nudity I've seen in a non-hentai anime and is quite possibly the most perverse show I've seen only adds to its provocative sinfulness. I have no problems watching the ridiculous jiggles seen in Sekirei or the "oops I'm naked" scenes found in Motto To Love Ru, but Seikon no Qwaser makes me feel like I'm 13 again and I've discovered the Playboy Channel. Unlike lifeless titty-fests like Queen's Blade or confusing boobapaloozas such as Ikki Tousen, Qwaser pulls me in and holds my interest even when their clothes are on.

Post by Masako_Hihashi (594 posts) See mini bio Level 10

G Gundam is mostly hated by hardcore gundam fans (Which I am) but I love it, in fact is my favourite Gundam series all-time....

I even know the greeting Domon and Master Asia do every freaking time they met..

Post by CodeSaint (269 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Inazuma Eleven 
Ring ni Kakero 
Kinnikuman 
Supernatural the Animation 
Fuuma no Kojiro 
Mazinkaiser SKL 
Rayearth
Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@EquitasInvictus: You like I Don't...(not worth saying the title)? You have far more temerity and tolerance than I do, my friend. I'm a morbid curiosity kind of person, I watch things "just to see how bad it is" and I couldn't get through the first episode. But everyone's entitled to their guilty pleasures. I for one enjoy the first season of Black Butler even though I don't think it's any good, and it's pretty sleazy, the kind of thing I normally detest, but...I don't know, I get a sick pleasure out of it, I guess. Also, HSOTD, not that I think it's a bad show, as it's actually pretty well-executed, but the fanservice is incredibly tacky, superfluous and disgustingly exploitative. But it's constantly entertaining.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,272 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Girl Bravo: There only one character that save this show and make it good for me (he just so over the top)

Baka And Test: I love the concept

School Days: I love it for its ending

Post by Azman (5 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Zero no Tuskaima for me I don't know why I like it, in fact it would be easier to list my problems with it than what I like about it. Haven't had time to watch the new and final season yet.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel