Generally Unpopular/Controversial Anime Series (Guilty Pleasures)

Topic started by EquitasInvictus on Jan. 9, 2012. Last post by Azman 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by EquitasInvictus (332 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Looking back, I can think of a lot of unpopular or controversial anime series I'd say are worth sharing. One series that I'd definitely place under "controversial," for example, would be School Days. Honestly looking back at it, I kind of remember appreciating it since it was the only harem anime adaptation with a harem that had severe consequences, hence the "Nice Boat" controversy with regards to the last episode's airing around the same time there was a murder of a Japanese high schooler IIRC.

In terms of unpopular and recent, I'm not afraid to admit I actually liked how ridiculous Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! (I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother!!) was despite its premise (which essentially hinted on a little sister lusting over her big brother). I think what made it unpopular was that people presumed it'd be explicit and get into some graphic interactions when in reality the series actually never went that far and stuck with comedy to the likes of B Gata H Kei (Yamada's First Time - that anime about a girl who wanted to have 100 sex partners but was struggling throughout the series on this one, normal-ish guy).

I guess a lot of the unpopular anime series I ended up liking were all kind of lowbrow romantic comedies, which I would admit is a guilty pleasure for me.

Anyone have their own?

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

My first viewing and impressions of Kanokon would be mine. I've tried watching it again but it seems super crappy to me now. At the time I really enjoyed it though. The manga "My Balls" would be another one.

Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@EquitasInvictus:This mande me remember wehn I read that one episode of Higurashi no naku koro ni wasn't aired due to similar stuff

@Asune: I've only watched select scenes from Higurashi but I can definitely recognize why they'd choose to to air an episode. I'd say Higurashi would definitely fit under controversial! I've always wanted to watch it. I've watched Umineko and absolutely loved it!

Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@EquitasInvictus:The thing is to read it nor watch it xD

btw, I'll say that all excesive ecchi stuff is quite controversial

@Asune: Read it as in read a light novel or another for of media it originated from? (I actually have no idea which media Higurashi originated in)

But now that you've mentioned it, I can't believe I failed to mention Yosuga no Sora. Its main arc dealt with incest and it got pretty explicit towards the end with a shocking and dramatic twist I didn't think they'd actually pull. I actually appreciated it. It was kind of like Myself; Yourself in the kinda drama and controversy involved.

Post by Dream (8,108 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Koi Kaze's a bit controversial because of its serious exploration of incest.

While I haven't seen or read it personally, I've heard of a manga publisher in the states who had plans of releasing Kodomo no Jikan here in the states, but backed off quick due to pressure from many Americans because of the title's focus on pedophilia. The TV airing of it got quite censored to the point where it was nearly unwatchable.

But perhaps the most controversial title I've heard of comes in the form of Urotsukidoji, the hentai that helped bring about tentacle rape to such titles. Bad enough where it was either banned or heavily edited for video and theatrical releases in many Western countries.
Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Higurashi was originally an all-ages visual novel, actually a doujin project. Was it that controversial? Or am I desensitised to violence? I found School Days to be much worse, if only because the first 9 or so episodes of the series was your average love triangle...and then it got dark.

I stopped watching Yosuga no Sora after the first episode cos of the incest and weren't they actually twins, making it weirder?

As for unpopular stuff, I didn't mind Endless Eight so much. At the least, it didn't turn me off the rest of the franchise like it did some.

@Neurotic said:

Higurashi was originally an all-ages visual novel, actually a doujin project. Was it that controversial? Or am I desensitised to violence? I found School Days to be much worse, if only because the first 9 or so episodes of the series was your average love triangle...and then it got dark.

I stopped watching Yosuga no Sora after the first episode cos of the incest and weren't they actually twins, making it weirder?

As for unpopular stuff, I didn't mind Endless Eight so much. At the least, it didn't turn me off the rest of the franchise like it did some.

I'd say the Higurashi anime had some graphic torture scenes I didn't expect from an anime series before seeing them. The controversial aspect was how one episode incorporating a graphic death couldn't air due to a murder similar to that of what happened to the School Days conclusion.

And I think you were right with regards to the twins in Yosuga no Sora.

I also definitely agree about Endless Eight. I thought how they executed on that concept was glorious and ballsy. Although even I suffered from fatigue towards the end and skipped through the latter episodes to see what subtle changes they made, I thought it was really intriguing that they actually repeated the day's events multiple times before resolving the issue.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I wouldn't quite equate controversial with "guilty pleasure."  The latter implies an active acknowledgment that what you are enjoying is bad while controversial is simply something with a wide berth of opinions.

Anyways, semantics aside, my one and only guilty pleasure (obviously because I have good taste) would be the Gravion franchise.  I'm just a sucker for any mecha designed by Obari, even if its a show produced by Gonzo, had one of the biggest Mary Sues (but still fucking fabulous and amazing) around as a supporting character, and had a second season that pretty much incorporated nudity to boost sales.
Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Neurotic said:

I found School Days to be much worse, if only because the first 9 or so episodes of the series was your average love triangle...and then it got dark.

I can't say I entirely agree with that. Most love triange and harem type shows are weird ones where nobody is actually a couple until like the last two or three episodes or so (based off of a13 episode season) where people finally start admitting that they like each other. School Days establishes a clear cut relationship by the second episode. That one thing alone sets it apart from a lot most of it's counterparts in that it's more about the ups and downs of a relationship rather than falling in love.

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

^ Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean average as a slur, I just meant it was sticking to the school romance thing pretty tightly up until about episode 10, I think it was. I didn't go into School Days expecting that ending, which made the mood whiplash worse than Higurashi, which I knew to be violent beforehand. I still enjoyed it though but the POV shot from inside Sekai's womb was a little much for me.

As for the torture scenes in Higurashi, they didn't disturb me because I thought it was controversial in a broader context (obviously torture is wrong but by that point in the series you've seen many people die in horrible ways) but they disturbed me cos the character being tortured was one of my favourites.

Guilty pleasure is also open to intepretation though. It could be a series that you normally wouldn't like because you're not a fan of the genre or because it's full of moe stuff and not necessarily something that is objectively bad.

@Turambar: Oh, the title was meant to be something like "Unpopular/Controversial Anime you actually liked." but I don't think all of those characters fit so I just put guilty pleasure in parentheses since I thought it was the best way to summarize liking an anime that was generally unpopular or controversial, like how I mentioned in the first post how I enjoyed lowbrow humor romance anime as a guilty pleasure despite most people's aversions to the occasionally controversial premise of those kind of shows that sort of split the opinions of others from the onset.

As I've mentioned, B Gata H Kei was like that and it actually turned out being a a sleeper hit for some after they realized it actually wasn't as terrible as the premise of "having 100 sex friends" suggested and found some value in its type of romantic comedy a lot of its contemporaries lacked. The female protagonist, Yamada, was pretty much clueless on matters of love and was therefore entertainingly stuck on trying to score on the male protagonist. They shouldn't have sold the premise that way since it ended up having nothing to do with what people thought it was going to. I would call it an anti-School Days case in how it averted the controversy people expected, whereas no one expected Makoto to go overboard like he did in the School Days anime. People were already aware of the visual novel's bad ends, but I guess no one expected the School Days anime to go there.

Anyway I didn't really push the part about actually liking certain unpopular/controversial anime like I would've with the original title to leave room for open discussion.

@Neurotic said:

^ Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean average as a slur, I just meant it was sticking to the school romance thing pretty tightly up until about episode 10, I think it was. I didn't go into School Days expecting that ending, which made the mood whiplash worse than Higurashi, which I knew to be violent beforehand. I still enjoyed it though but the POV shot from inside Sekai's womb was a little much for me.

As for the torture scenes in Higurashi, they didn't disturb me because I thought it was controversial in a broader context (obviously torture is wrong but by that point in the series you've seen many people die in horrible ways) but they disturbed me cos the character being tortured was one of my favourites.

Guilty pleasure is also open to intepretation though. It could be a series that you normally wouldn't like because you're not a fan of the genre or because it's full of moe stuff and not necessarily something that is objectively bad.

Oh yeah I remember that spoiler and I remember not realizing the purpose of that shot until later and I was shocked enough to watch ending again. It felt a lot more uncomfortable the second time around knowing the reasoning behind that.

I see your point about Higurashi, though. There definitely was a lot of shock value in School Days pulling the bad end as opposed to all the other possibilities. (Although hearing about it was what drew me to School Days in the first place since I watched it a little while after its original airing)

Also, you brought up a another good description of what I meant by having guilty pleasure in parentheses for the thread's title. Like despite the incest that gets graphic towards the end of Yosuga no Sora, some might've appreciated the drama in the overarching plot as a likable aspect. @Dream brings up another great case for a similarly controversial series with Koi Kaze which also explores incest seriously.

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,357 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@sickVisionz said:

My first viewing and impressions of Kanokon would be mine. I've tried watching it again but it seems super crappy to me now. At the time I really enjoyed it though.

This. When I was new to AnimeVice, I began watching KanoKon so that I could try to do some Wiki work for it on the site. At that time, it seemed to be a decent show that showed the hapless Kouta and his wild and wacky life with both Chizuru and Nozomu in their misadventures around both Kunpo High and Japan. For a ecchi/harem-like show, it was a decent watch but not something special, so that is why I never did get around to doing much work on it. However, I have never been able to re-watch it since I now find it to be both annoying and stupid for some reason.

Nozomu, Chizuru, and Kouta
Nozomu, Chizuru, and Kouta
Post by Vincent92 (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

elfen lied was also controversal cause of the nudity, violence that it contained

Post by cynically_happy (115 posts) See mini bio Level 12

You know what, I'm not ashamed to say I actually enjoyed "My Balls" I thought it was kinda funny and was entertained

Post by slushinator (3 posts) See mini bio Level 4

Girls Bravo is mine.. Every time I watched it, I'd laugh to myself and couldn't figure out why I kept watching it.. Now I realize it was probably cause of the humor and awkwardness of it.. the character's seemed charming as well.. I dunno..

@Vincent92 said:

elfen lied was also controversal cause of the nudity, violence that it contained

I watched the first episode of that. Seemed really interesting, but never really continued watching it.

Post by AntonioTheDeadly (4 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I still watch harem anime even though I try not to.

Post by WatanabeKazuma (7 posts) See mini bio Level 5

I guess High School of The Dead constitutes as this, at least for me. I had heard a decent amount of chatter about it which is how it got brought to my attention to begin with. I was not aware it was quite so prevalent with the Ecchi content though, maybe I should have done a little research beforehand. It was ridiculously cheap at the time, so it seemed like a no-brainer to pick it up. I'd be lying if I didn't say that the blatant nature of the fan-service is making me consider whether or not I should even continue to watch the series.

I'm not really tuned in with the general opinion on the series on here, well apart from the savaging it got in the features, so I'd put Eden of The East on here too.

@Neurotic: @EquitasInvictus: The premise of Endless Eight is what kept me interested, even if in execution it is completely ridiculous. Although I sort of lament the time I 'wasted' watching it, I can't help but admire it just for attempting something like that, even more so when you stop to consider the popularity of such a franchise . Maybe my perception of that is skewed slightly by existing outside of the crazy bubble its fandom seems to exist in, seeing as I only watched it at the tail end of 2011. I can understand why many where potentially turned off by the whole thing though, especially within the context of just how long that initial wait was in between seasons.

@WatanabeKazuma: I agree; especially on Eden of the East. Actually, I feel like this community is kind of an outlier in terms of the general reception of it here. I really liked Eden of the East, although I never really followed it up with the films as much as I meant to.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel