Funimation and Sentai License Rescue Bandai Entertainment Titles

Topic started by Dream on Aug. 10, 2013. Last post by AURON570 1 year, 1 month ago.
Post by Dream (7,630 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Funimation and Sentai Filmworks made big announcements just today at Otakon over titles they license rescued from Bandai Entertainment. It was reported by Anime News Network back in May that both companies were in talks with Sunrise to acquire titles that were formerly distributed to home video in the North American market since Bandai's closure last year. It appears the major acquisitions have begun of Bandai's old license library. Here are the titles that Funi and Sentai had acquired from their dealings with Sunrise.

Funimation

• Tales of the Abyss
  • Witch Hunter Robin
  • Code Geass (both seasons)
  • Angel Links
  • Crest of the Stars
  • Banner of the Stars
  • Banner of the Stars II
  • Passage of the Stars - Birth
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Escaflowne (TV series and movie)
  • My-Hime
  • My-Otome (TV series, Zwei and 0~S.ifr~)

Sentai Filmworks

• Big O (both seasons)
  • Argento Soma
  • Betterman
  • s-CRY-ed
  • Z-Mind
  • Zegapain
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
  • Infinite Ryvius
  • Kurokami: The Animation
  • Brain Powered
  • Overman King Gainer

Anyone else who hasn't followed news on Bandai titles, Funimation had also announced earlier in the year that they acquired several titles in the .hack franchise with Sign, Legend of the Twilight, GU Trilogy and Roots.

In addition, Discotek picked up a couple former Bandai titles with Blue Submarine No. 6 and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Blue Submarine will be getting a DVD and Blu-Ray release later in the year, while Jin-Roh will be released sometime in early 2014.

Also, RightStuf announced earlier in the year that they have acquired video distribution rights to Gundam Unicorn, as they plan to release the series to DVD in four volumes with the first three volumes consisting of two episodes each and the fourth containing the hour-and-a-half long final episode that will be released to video in Japan in Spring of next year. The first and second volumes will be released later this month on August 20.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'm so glad that Funimation got what they got. For the past year or two, basically everything I wanted that got picked up by Sentai ended up with a low quality, no BD, just DVDs in a case release.

Post by NickyCharisma (48 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne are HUGE pickups. I just don't understand why they didn't grab Eureka 7 while they were at it.

Post by AURON570 (572 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Those acquisitions for Funimation are sick! Excited about Witch Hunter Robin, Cowboy Bebop and the dotHack stuff.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel