Favorite Underrated Anime

Topic started by Wales on July 18, 2010. Last post by waybig1010101 4 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21

With the slew of anime titles to come out of Japan every year, its hard to keep up with seeing every show and knowing the logistics of it. But with every major release that most anime fans eat up like free ice cream (titles such as Death Note, Naruto, One Piece, etc), there is always a handful of shows that go under the radar that only a small percentage of the anime audience watches.

So what are some titles you feel were under-appreciated or looked over and which ones are your favorites?

Related Threads

Mod Edit: Included Overrated Anime thread link

Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Demon King Daimo.
Post by obscurefan (216 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Well it's just a manga right now with the hopes of becoming an Anime but I have to say Psyren. It's got a very original concept, with very likable characters and excellent villains. It also excells at keeping readers on their toes. I describe it as Bleach if it was directed by Tim Burton (good Tim Burton) and Soul Society was that post Apocalyptic world from 9. 

Also I'd throw out there Katekyo Hitman Reborn. It's weird saying it's underrated because it is fairly popular among its fans, but I don't think it gets the props it deserves. If you look around AV you see there's tons of stuff about it that's missing simply because nobody knows of the series. It's hard for people to get into because it was originally written as a pretty crummy comedy series, but when it turned to an action series it took everything from the comedy series and brought it back, making it hard for anyone who just started picking it up to follow. However, if you can make it through all the issues or episodes set during the "comedy" portion of its run then it becomes a fantastic series.
Post by tainteddonut (45 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight. Most people overlooked this one when it came out in 2007 but it ended up a great slice of life show. 
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,556 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I hope for a deadman wonderland anime....
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou    
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Kaiba, Erin and Real Drive.  Every now and then someone will mention Kaiba but the other two are like dead zones.  Real Drive had some big names attached to it and was really good but I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it whether it was for good or bad.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Destinyheroknight:  Correct.
@rein said:
" @Destinyheroknight:  Correct. "

I hope it come out with an another season
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
BECK. how Mongolian Chop Squad hasn't been accepted as the best TV show ever is beyond me.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Nobody;s Girl & Ikkyu San
Post by DocHaus (922 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Hataraki Man, for anyone who works or knows someone who works in an office.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Paranoia Agent.... though I am still very confused by it
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I'll add Toshokan Sensou and Himitsu the Revelation to my previous list. Also Awesome anime that flies under-the-radar

Post by Ryokan (291 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@AgentJ said:
BECK. how Mongolian Chop Squad hasn't been accepted as the best TV show ever is beyond me.

This for the win.
Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Haibane Renmei.  There's just no good way to promote it; (I am not the first to make this observation) it doesn't have the kind of premise that presents itself as a must-see.  But the relationship between the two main characters is beautiful and softly thought-provoking, and it is a mature story that delves into relevant symbolism and complex themes without preaching to its audience.  Also, Beck is a great show but it doesn't exactly have mainstream appeal unless you are really into music or indie flicks, and it's the most realistic slice of life anime out there, even with the mobster sub-plot.  Those aren't bad things; I'm just saying that's why it isn't popular.  It's not geared at the average anime fan. 
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,320 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Code Geass

@MrASSH0LE:

Code Geass isn't underrated, it was on Adult Swim

Post by MrASSH0LE (2,320 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@Destinyheroknight
Well many people disregard it as silly yet tolerate other sillier anime like One Piece by example.
Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@MrASSH0LE said:
@Destinyheroknight:  Well many people disregard it as silly yet tolerate other sillier anime like One Piece by example.

I honestly dont see how anyone can find gode geass silly. Its a show about terrorism for gods sake
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel