Favorite Songs in Anime?

Topic started by AURON570 on Feb. 10, 2012. Last post by coolkimy 6 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by AURON570 (565 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Honestly this could go on forever, and I tried searching and only found a favorite music thread, here.

Rules: - Post ONE/TWO songs at a time, maybe also give an explanation on why you like it so much.

- Song must have been played in the anime. Includes insert songs, theme songs and original soundtrack.

- No bashing other peoples tastes.

- If available, embed a streaming video/audio of the song into your post (like from youtube).

So I'll start... The opening theme for Kuragehime: Koko Dake No Hanashi by Chatmonchy

I have had very positive things to say about Kuragehime ^-^ (which you can read in the Kuragehime forum). This song just fits so well with the tone of the show and the characters. The animated opening is also very well done. It's upbeat, somewhat whimsical or awkward, hopeful and fun. :)

Now your turn. >=D

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,111 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The Eureka Seven soundtrack is very good. I also like the music from Boom Boom Satellites on Xam'd Lost Memories. And a few songs from Guilty Crown soundtrack.

Post by takashichea (11,735 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Guilty Crown's Euterpe theme song truly shows how the franchise is morbid.

Inori sings two songs, and this one is probably the best one.

Beelzebub's 4th ending song is so catchy. I put down the album song instead of the ending because some get canceled by youtube.

Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Lately I've been really fond of the first Eureka Seven opening, even though i've never seen the series outside of maybe two or three episodes. I guess I really like the funkiness to the song, I mean not really sure if that's the right word but whatever.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

The creation of this thread prompted me to update my opening and ending song list here on AV. It was woefully outdated. I didn't take anything off, but I added a bunch.

Music is one of the very important to me in anime and a good song can influence my opinion of a show. I won't think a mediocre show better, but I will appreciate a good show even more. If I show opens or closes with a song I really like, I look forward to the credits. If not, I will sometimes fast-forward past it. And, when the series switches to a song I don't like as much, I'm a bit sad. Occasionally, some songs have just won me over because I heard them so much. Others just hook me right from the start.

Right now my top 10 songs (and it was really difficult to narrow it down to just 10) are probably:

1. Arakawa under the Bridge × Bridge - "Akai Coat" by Suneohair (ED)
  2. Gintama - "Wo Ai Ni" by Hitomi Takahashi and BEAT CRUSADERS (ED#14) [song starts at 1:35]
  3. City Hunter - "Earth" by PSY-S (character song)
  4. Soul Eater - "Style" by Kana Nishino (ED#2)
  5. Cardcaptor Sakura - "Platinum" by Maaya Sakamoto (OP #3)
  6. Naruto - "YURA YURA" by Hearts Grow (OP#9)
  7. Nodame Cantabile - "Allegro Cantabile" by SUEMITSU & THE SUEMITH
  8. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - "Os-Uchujin" by Erio o Kamatte-chan [Asuka Ogame & Shinsei Kamatte-chan]
  9. Inuyasha - "Grip!" by Every Little Thing (OP#4)
  10. Toaru Majutsu no Index II - "No buts!" by Mami Kawada (OP#1)

Of course, a week from now I might have a different list, however I'd be willing to bet that "Os-Uchujin" would be there since that damned song has been stuck in my head since last summer. It's so damned perky!

The ones that didn't make my current list but I'm going to wedge in here now anyway are Naruto Shippuden's first opener, "Hero's Come Back" by Nobodyknows+. I just like the beat and, well I often impressed and amazed to hear foreign-language rap. I'm most familiar with Japanese rap, but I also like Spanish and French rap. Ha-ha, I've been playing a lot of Saints Row The Third lately and there's a French rap song on the in-game radio that also been rattling around in my brain. Anyway, when I first saw the opening with the silhouette combat graphics it reminded me of a Jackie Chan opening title sequence. I know I am probably in the minority on this one but it just hooked me from the get-go.

The other one I'll talk about is "Lum no Love Song" originally recorded by Yuuko Matsutani back in the very early 80's. This song is more about the attachment I have to the series than the musical quality of the piece itself. I do like it but it evokes images of the series and that makes me feel good. I recently found this updated version sung by Azusa Yamamoto, a Japanese idol dressed up as Lum. I thought it was cute and sexy and it made me like the song even more.

@takashichea: I was pleasantly surprised by both songs. :) Pretty cool choices. The second song reminds me of Hyadain's songs (he did the openings for Nichijou). I feel like sometimes I just need to indulge my cute, happy side and those kinds of songs(and music videos) hit the spot.

Alright my turn again. Another fairly recent song:

For You by Rie Fu, the ending for the anime series Wandering Son. Not much of a fan of pop rock music, but I think the song fit well for the ending. The chorus says "I wanna cry for you", but does not say any particular individual. This is typical pop love song stuff to make it seem like the singer is singing for you (the listener)... But if you look at it like the song is about the anime characters, you could say that the song is being sung by Takatsuki for Shuichi (two of the main characters who have complicated feelings for each other).

I'm gonna post both the anime ending and the official music video, just so you can have an idea how the ending shows the main character (Shuichi) and eventually meeting Takatsuki at the end:

Post by takashichea (11,735 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@AURON570:

Thanks! I love the songs you pick especially Rie Fu - For You.

@PenguinDust:

Wow! That's a lot of songs. For Gintama, I like Dilemma (ジレンマ)" by Ecosystem, and for Soul Eater, I like this one:

The Lum video made me feel uncomfortable with her seductive eyes. It was too cutesy. The Naruto opening you recommended is pretty good. My other favorite is this fifth opening.

@The_Desert_Tiger:

I like that song you picked. It's pretty upbeat, and its rhythm is addicting.

French Kiss Sket Dance CD
French Kiss Sket Dance CD

Come on down and share your favorite anime songs!

Edit:

I forgot Sket Dance! I love the first opening. I couldn't find the anime opening, so I had to post the French Kiss video. Here are the links to the male version and female version.

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19

Here are mine (in no particular order):

Damn I've been looking for a particular song from Gankutsuou... and I've finally found it! Here it is, those opening strummed guitar chords (0:13 seconds) cued at just the right moments in the series, making things tense and agitated. I don't even think they used the whole song in the series, because all I remember of this song was those chords >.>

Also remember this isn't just limited to opening/endings, although typically those are the songs we'll remember the most, there are some great OSTs out there. :)

Post by sickVisionz (4,256 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I know I'm probably forgetting some, but these themes that I always listened to and never skipped over. I usually just watch a theme once and then never again but these ones grabbed me:

Openings

S;G Gets super great around the 1:00 mark

HK gets really good around 0:49

jk

Endings

PPD has an ultra cheesy one but it's probably my favorite ending ever.

Score

I like this version more because the original sounds like it was played on a fake piano to me.

Edit: I just noticed the rule about only two songs. I spent like 30 minutes finding the songs so I'll just put the rest in spoilers rather than erase em.

Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai Opening (or Higurashi no naku koro ni opening 2)

Don't know if it counts, because it isn't precisely a song, but here is Ryougi Shiki's theme from Kara no Kyoukai

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I've got a whole bunch of favorite anime songs, but I'll share the ones I'm really in to at the moment:

Openings:

Sket Dance OP 4 :

Endings:

The Daily Lives of High School Boys

EDIT: Removed extras

Nobody is listen to the one or two song rule T-T, which means no one reads what I said, which means *worried face*... BWAAAAAA. sorry... I'm very emotional today.

Post by sickVisionz (4,256 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@AURON570: Most people did.

Post by navybluehoodie (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I really like the opening for Gankutsuou, though I did not like it when I first heard it.

it really grew on me though.

I also like the opening to Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@ShadowKnight508: I've never seen Angel Beats nor do i know anything about it, but that opening is awesome!

Guts' Theme from Berserk has always been one of my favourite anime OST tracks, it's strangely really calming considering it's a theme for a character like Guts.

Overtaken from One Piece is another favourite, whenever it plays something awesome is about to happen.

Post by sgt_waffles (1 posts) See mini bio Level 2

@sickVisionz: I was exaggerating.

One more chance, one more time by Masayoshi Yamazaki gets played near the end in the anime movie 5 Centimeters per Second. It's a romantic, longing kind of song. Great movie and it does a great job of concluding the movie. From what I remember, there was not much vocal music throughout the movie. There was piano and instrumental music though. So the vocals coming in at the end with this song is sort of like the main character finally releasing his feelings and thoughts. It's not really happy, but not really sad either.

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@AURON570 said:

Nobody is listen to the one or two song rule T-T, which means no one reads what I said, which means *worried face*... BWAAAAAA. sorry... I'm very emotional today.

My bad, I got ahead of myself. I edited my post and got it down to two songs. Sorry about that.

Post by ImmortalSaiyan (38 posts) See mini bio Level 9

This is my favorite opening song to any anime. So atypical and sets the mood of the series perfectly.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel