DVD/Blu-Ray Releases for April 8, 2014

Topic started by takashichea on April 7, 2014. Last post by whiskers 5 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,407 posts) See mini bio Level 25

It's a small selection for this week. The only thing I omitted was Puella Magi Madoka the Movie Part 3: Rebellion since Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other stores don't have it in stock due to being an import. Only Right Stuf has it.

I would love to hear your recommendations on these series. All comments are welcome. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I'm just promoting the official release and the publishers. I'm not selling you anything. This is to combat piracy and get fans to support the official release.

Sources

Past Articles

Familiar Zero Season 1
Familiar Zero Season 1
  • Distributor: Sentai Filmworks
  • Suggested retail price: $59.98 (BD), $49.98
Louise Francoise Le Blanc de La Valliere's name is so long and her spell-casting skills are so poor that everyone at the Tristain Academy of Magic just calls her "Louise the Zero". Louise's humiliation only increases during an important second-year test, where the other students summon up dragons and other mythological creatures as their familiars, and she inexplicably summons Hiraga Saito, a totally normal teenager from Tokyo.

Now she's stuck with him and Saito's stuck with the lousy life of being a familiar. Except, maybe there's more going on than meets the eye, because Saito's not prepared to accept the social inequities that Louise and other aristocrats consider the status quo, and he may not be quite as normal as everyone thinks. And the reason Louise is so bad at magic might just be that she hasn't figured out what she's good at yet. In fact, they might even have the makings of a great team... if they can learn to stand each other first, that is!

Contains episodes 1-13.
Naruto Shippuden Set 18
Naruto Shippuden Set 18
  • Distributor: Viz Media
  • Suggested retail price: $44.82
Naruto declares to his friends his intention to take on Sasuke by himself, while the Elders of the Leaf make a serious decision about who will fill the vacant seat of Hokage: Kakashi! In Mount Myoboku, Gerotora, Fukasaku and the Great Lord Elder debate whether or not to give Naruto the key to the Tetragram Seal that Gerotora holds, an act that could potentially unleash Nine Tails.

Meanwhile, Tsunade recovers from her coma and, having grasped the situation, issues orders to prepare for war!

Contains episodes 219-231.
Post by whiskers (137 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Can you tell me is there any website where I could look up detailed info on the content of anime DVDs and Blu-rays?

@whiskers:

I listed as much sources I use in the blog. There is no best source that has the most accurate information. Plus, some sites will do better for others based on their needs.

Anime News Network

Anime News Network's List of Blu-Ray and DVDs - Pros of using ANN is that it gives you price comparisons of Amazon, Right Stuf, Barnes & Noble, etc. The cons of using ANN is that not all of the DVDS and BDs are available in stores and online stores. ANN is ideal for customers who want price comparisons and detailed contents.

Contents
Contents
Price Comparisons
Price Comparisons
when they list things too early, links are dead
when they list things too early, links are dead

Right Stuf

Right Stuf - They also do a weekly selection. Like ANN, they do mention any contents in the DVDs and BDs. However, since this is an online store, it won't give you price comparisons with other competitors like Amazon. Right Stuf also offers coupons. Be sure to check that out.

Fandom Post

Fandom Post doesn't list any contents or price comparisons. It's a bit inconsistent since I do see them doing a deeper article on certain titles.

Thanks for the reply, Takashichea. I'll check those out.

@whiskers:

Forgot something. I knew you wanted one site for convenience. I hope you find that one site that suits your needs.

Personally, I find ANN useful for me since I have to watch my budget. I spend 300 dollars on utilities and such and only have about 100 dollars for recreational activities. I tend to buy anime and manga that I really love and if they have cool content. Some DVDs have sucky contents. When I wanted to buy Young Justice, they didn't do a full set back then. They divided the season into small chunks just to make the price higher.

Back to anime, the majority of the shows I watch are on simulcasts which I paid Crunchyroll and HULU about 7-8 dollars a month.

Yeah, you figured out I'm a cheapskate. I'm the biggest one in this site.

@takashichea: Sorry, but you're not a cheapskate at all! All these thing are ridiculously overpriced. I had my eyes on a certain DVD box set (can't afford the Blu-rays), but it's a European edition and it's much harder to find info on something like that than a US version. To cut the story short, the Fandom Post had a review of that exact box set and I was able to get my answer. A disappointing answer (no extras included), but nonetheless. Thanks again!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel