Dubs Vs. Subs

Topic started by N15PCA on Jan. 11, 2009. Last post by Champy 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
The first thing that I thought of: you say "I mean" a lot. :P But anyway...

For me, it depends on where the anime takes place. So for example, if the characters are set in England or something, I'll prefer dubs because it sounds more correct. Whenever I see characters that are purposefully white, it just sounds so off to hear Japanese VAs.

If a character is ambiguously not an ethnicity, it's a toss-up based on storyline, references to different social aspects, and the pure performance of a VA.

I do agree with you that dubs were HORRENDOUS in the nineties. Good lord those were horrible but English VAs have improved quite a bit recently.

Now this is gonna be a bit of a weird one but I tend to read more manga than anime. When I read a manga, I'll have my own kind of voices assigned to different characters. If I watch an anime that I've read the manga to, I'll be inclined to whatever voices sounded the most similar in my head when I read the manga.

I still generally watch subs more often than not. Dubs can be fine, but I still watch more subs just because.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
for me i have to watch the dub unless its really bad. growing up in Ireland the only anime i ever got to watch was the odd movie that would make it to an English Tv station and they were always dubs so nowadays i prefer the dub. i have watched animes with the subs though cos some dubs are terrible.
Post by Champy (121 posts) See mini bio Level 5
i cant stand the dubs, I LIKE TEH SUBTITLES.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel