Dubs or Subs?

Topic started by damswedon on Aug. 2, 2009. Last post by DeirDolia 3 months, 1 week ago.
Post by damswedon (277 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Dubs
  • Subs
Post by sickVisionz (4,332 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@TypH said:

I prefer dubs, mainly because I put on a lot of shows while I am in my office working on art for background noise, but if I have the place to myself I will put on some sub anime.

This is always funny to me because it's basically, "I like dubs because they make it really easy to not watch the show or pay no attention to it." Language shouldn't matter if it's only going to be used for noise or played for the purpose of ignoring it.

Post by taichokage (17,811 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Subs for the most part. But there are exceptions. I like Dubbed DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho better for instance. I think it's because my native English speaking ear easily hears "acting" in the voices whereas in Japanese it's not as easy. Also original animation flows better with Japanese because that's the target language. With dubs sometimes the words are accented in an odd manner due to trying to sync with the animation. Also literal translations are less common with dubs.
Post by SycoMantis91 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I prefer dubs, I'm very bad at focusing on one thing, I like to be able to like grind in a RPG or at least text while I watch a show. While some dubs are bad, it's a lot easier than reading the subtitles for everything said. I only watch dubs if I get enough into a newer anime that hasn't been fully dubbed yet. Fairy Tail is the only one I really do that with currently.

Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I prefer dubs for Soul Eater, Hellsing and DBZ (the Japanese version of DBZ is still one of the worst things I've ever experienced).

Aside from those three, subs all the way.

Post by ShinobiX (423 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Subs.

Some of the actors in dubs don't put much effort or just sound horrible. Not that I dislike all dubs.

Post by BraidyBunch (28 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Dubs. I actually find most of the English dubs more bearable than the original Japanese vocals. Then there's also the reading, which to me takes away much of the experience when watching an anime or any movie that's not originally done in English.

Post by Jgames (635 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Dubs usually, unless it's a fan service anime since they are usually crap.

Post by Iju (359 posts) See mini bio Level 10

subs subs subs. so much more emotion than dub. plus, i'm steadily learning the language faster than i thought i would. also, the translation are clearer than the dub (i've learned this since i do speak some japanese).

sometimes, its nothing but better training. of course, this doesn't make sense on words, so let me show you.

listen all the way up to 1:30. then do the same for the dub.

doesn't the american dub seem just so awful next to the precise excellence of the sub? it just seems so dang lazy. you can tell the japanese made more efforts to be on time than the americans.

Post by taichokage (17,811 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Iju: Cool! I'm self learning too. No good yet though. :(

@taichokage: oh i wouldn't say i can translate a fairly good deal, but i can understand sentences here and there. enough to understand when the trans-subs are wrong.

it makes me feel shupa smart :3

Post by UsachanMaN (4,668 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I used to watch dubbed anime, but after I began watching subbed anime, I noticed that I enjoy it a little more. I really like the flow of the Japanese language and its sentence structure. Also, there are a lot of puns and phrases used in anime that get lost in translation..so you kinda miss out on that stuff with the dubbed anime.

@Iju said:

subs subs subs. so much more emotion than dub. plus, i'm steadily learning the language faster than i thought i would. also, the translation are clearer than the dub (i've learned this since i do speak some japanese).

sometimes, its nothing but better training. of course, this doesn't make sense on words, so let me show you.

listen all the way up to 1:30. then do the same for the dub.

doesn't the american dub seem just so awful next to the precise excellence of the sub? it just seems so dang lazy. you can tell the japanese made more efforts to be on time than the americans.

I totally agree! I watched Clannad subbed first and my curious self watched the first episode of the dubbed Clannad and I really did not like it.

Post by reiyo (1,370 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Subs in general. Much better. Some dubs seriously sucks.

@UsachanMaN said:

I used to watch dubbed anime, but after I began watching subbed anime, I noticed that I enjoy it a little more. I really like the flow of the Japanese language and its sentence structure. Also, there are a lot of puns and phrases used in anime that get lost in translation..so you kinda miss out on that stuff with the dubbed anime.

i agree too. my mother and father, well just people in general, think of japanese as a non-romantic language. i would have to agree that the average person wouldn't think of japanese when asked about romantic languages, but once you listen to it, i think it's pretty good (especially with the bishounen VC, who just perfect the language so much they make girls pee on theirselves from fangirling :P).

@reiyo said:

Subs in general. Much better. Some dubs seriously sucks.

i think the main thing that brought me away from dub anime was the first one i saw YEARS ago - speed racer :P the VCs there don't exactly support the idea of good dubbing lol. then years later i learned that some dubbing changes the storyline entirely because of laziness or it "not being safe for children" crap, so that really pulled me away.

the only three anime i will look at with dub and don't care would have to be FMA, DBZ, and Naruto. those VCs are good, ESPECIALLY FMA.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,668 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Iju: I get what you're saying :P My family members and friends that arent that familiar with the Japanese language share the same opinion.

From the different languages that I've come across, I feel that ultimately its the manner in which one speaks kinda gives off the romantic air :P Bishounen voice actors definitely mastered that art XD

@UsachanMaN said:

@Iju: I get what you're saying :P My family members and friends that arent that familiar with the Japanese language share the same opinion.

From the different languages that I've come across, I feel that ultimately its the manner in which one speaks kinda gives off the romantic air :P Bishounen voice actors definitely mastered that art XD

so true! i know just what you mean by that.

----------------

another theory why i think sub is better is that american's don't have drama in their cartoons as much as the japanese. here's another example:

this time, look at the english dub (start at 10:28, look at the next vid and stop at 0:55).

now look at the japanese one (all the way up to 1:15).

i have nothing against the dub, really. it's pretty good, better than what i have heard on other dubs. but we just have to hand it over to the japanese. be honest - have you ever seen this much drama in american cartoons? and at that, frequently? drama is nearly always (if NOT always) inside of stuff like this. so for the japanese to voice act like this is entirely common. americans can only have this much drama in one entertainment - the movies (or theatre, like plays). not voice acting. they know hardly anything of performances behind the microphone. and if there are good voice actors that are american, the americans hardly notice it. most of them don't count or even see VC's as actors, too - true actors, just as good as leonardo dicaprio and the like.

its obvious in the dub that americans just don't have that kind of voice acting requirement on the regular. that's what i think.

Post by DeirDolia (7 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I like subs the most, but there are a few that i just cant stand not watching unless its dubbed.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel