Dubs or Subs?

Topic started by damswedon on Aug. 2, 2009. Last post by BraidyBunch 1 month ago.
Post by damswedon (277 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Dubs
  • Subs
Post by sickVisionz (4,254 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@TypH said:

I prefer dubs, mainly because I put on a lot of shows while I am in my office working on art for background noise, but if I have the place to myself I will put on some sub anime.

This is always funny to me because it's basically, "I like dubs because they make it really easy to not watch the show or pay no attention to it." Language shouldn't matter if it's only going to be used for noise or played for the purpose of ignoring it.

Post by taichokage (12,879 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Subs for the most part. But there are exceptions. I like Dubbed DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho better for instance. I think it's because my native English speaking ear easily hears "acting" in the voices whereas in Japanese it's not as easy. Also original animation flows better with Japanese because that's the target language. With dubs sometimes the words are accented in an odd manner due to trying to sync with the animation. Also literal translations are less common with dubs.
Post by SycoMantis91 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I prefer dubs, I'm very bad at focusing on one thing, I like to be able to like grind in a RPG or at least text while I watch a show. While some dubs are bad, it's a lot easier than reading the subtitles for everything said. I only watch dubs if I get enough into a newer anime that hasn't been fully dubbed yet. Fairy Tail is the only one I really do that with currently.

Post by GIRUGAMESH (2,154 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I prefer dubs for Soul Eater, Hellsing and DBZ (the Japanese version of DBZ is still one of the worst things I've ever experienced).

Aside from those three, subs all the way.

Post by ShinobiX (37 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Online Now

Subs.

Some of the actors in dubs don't put much effort or just sound horrible. Not that I dislike all dubs.

Post by BraidyBunch (28 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Dubs. I actually find most of the English dubs more bearable than the original Japanese vocals. Then there's also the reading, which to me takes away much of the experience when watching an anime or any movie that's not originally done in English.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel