Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in Shell?

Topic started by senorfuzzeh on Oct. 21, 2011. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 5 months ago.
Post by senorfuzzeh (8 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I've been in love with anime ever since I watched dragon ball and pokemon as a kid.

I've been really busy with school so I haven't had time to watch any since... Highschool, and this upcoming fall break my friends and family are out of town so, I have absolutely nothing to do other than play Bat-man (Skyrim comes out the week AFTER my break. sad)

So I want to pick up a new anime, I haven't done it in a long time and it sounds fun.

So I am trying to decide weather or not to I should start watching Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in shell. I know their two of the most famous animes ever and yeah I know I never got to watch them but thats why I am starting now!

Any tips? No bias people, please.

EDIT: Also I already know the setting and theme to both of them so don't waste you time explaining it.

Post by zaldar (1,253 posts) See mini bio Level 15

hmm if the type of anime you like normally is dragonball and pokemon (to anime I don't like at all) I would suggest bebop. I personaly find Ghost in the Shell (movie especially) to be a much better show.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

CB > (barely) GitS:SAC S2 > GitS:SAC S1 >>> GitS Movie

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Is there a reason you can't watch both?

Post by thekokapelli (98 posts) See mini bio Level 9

They're both good, but Cowboy Bebop is much deeper and FAR better written. If you want to be preached at about Descartian dualism by characters who are more strawmen mouthpieces than actual people, than Ghost in the Shell is for you. But if you want existentialism at is portrayed well, with subtle and rich dialogue, incredibly complex characters, and mature themes about human nature that are subliminal rather than preachy, than I would recommend Cowboy Bebop. But they're both recommended.

Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Liked both but I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell more. Cowboy Bebop was a bit overrated in my opinion.

Post by doublezeroduck (16 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Cowboy Bebop series you can watch in full in just a few days, along with the movie. I have only seen the Ghost in the shell movies so I can't say anything on the series, but the movies were pretty cool. Some of my favorites.

@sickVisionz: wow really? I loved both of the Ghost in the shell movies. Such great philosophy. Cowboy bebop had great style but not to much substance and the ending seemed lazy to me.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@zaldar: I thought the GitS movie was boring techno-philoso-babbling and pales immensely to both of its television series, which have many of the same elements yet manage to be entertaining. Cowboy Bebop entertained me more than both GitS series and at the end of the day that's all I really judge things off of. Having said that, I didn't think it was significantly better than the second GitS series, just barely. As for why I like GitS S2 more than GitS S1, I find political drama far more interesting than techno-philoso-babble. Not to say that S1 is bad, but it's entirely based around those elements while S2 is more in line with my personal tastes.

Post by Sonata (35,338 posts) See mini bio Level 20
You cant go wrong with either.
Post by Falken (219 posts) See mini bio Level 9

both are good choices, yet i like CB more than GitS

@sickVisionz: hmm I like to think about the meaning of it all and best way to live ect. I think that kind of thinking is important and interesting. I own books on the philosophy of science and religion actually. So my tastes are a little different. The second GTS movie I felt smarter coming out of it than I did going in. But some of my science teachers called philosophy intellectual masturbation so I understand where you are coming from. I always liked to think and talk about ideas though *shrug*

Both of these shows are certainly great and far and away better than 99% of anime both are worth watching (unlike bobobobo say or much that comes out now), but you asked which one was better so...

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel