Contructing an Anime Vice Must-See List?

Topic started by Pazy on Feb. 6, 2010. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 2 weeks ago.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Sombre said:

" I'll just do it all for you.

Here you go "

Whoa! Sombre for the win. Where did that magical pearl of great advice come from? 

Like, it actually thumbs so many things perfectly. Dividing them into sub-genres, yet not deluged enough that its like "Oh, you recommended every single gundam series"

Edit: Make sure to open it in a new window to see it properly, the on page viewer compresses it too much.
Post by Sombre (113 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@John_Martone said:
" @Sombre said:

" I'll just do it all for you.

Here you go "

Whoa! Sombre for the win. Where did that magical pearl of great advice come from?   Like, it actually thumbs so many things perfectly. Dividing them into sub-genres, yet not deluged enough that its like "Oh, you recommended every single gundam series"  Edit: Make sure to open it in a new window to see it properly, the on page viewer compresses it too much. "
I saw a lot of bad lists over the months/years that cropped up on 4chan, and various other websites which were highly subjective, like all tastes, so I figured one day I had to make a somewhat decent list. It's a bit out of date now, however. I think he only thing I would add though is Eden of the East.

Thanks for the lovely word of recommendation. I initially made it as just a "These are the best of the best of their respective genres. Watch these for a brief taste of what they have to offer"
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Sombre: I'm strangely unsurprised by knowing you put it together. Though it excites me to know that the majority of my super favorites make your concise list.

Any list that contains both Die Buster and Utena can't be all bad.
Post by jlanzer (117 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Sombre: well gosh darnit that has to be the vitals of anime if I ever seen one.  sombre for the win
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@JJOR64 said:
" This is a great idea.  Once we get some really good ones, we should make one big list in a new thread.  Here are some of my recommendations:

Azumanga Daioh - Slice of Life/Comedy
My Bride is a Mermaid - Slice of Life/Comedy/Parody
Gurren Lagann - Adventure/Action/Mecha
Minami-ke - Slice of Life/Comedy
Toradora - Comedy/Romance
Clannad - Comedy/Romance/Drama
Bakemonogatari - Comedy/Supernatural/Romance
Welcome to the NHK - Comedy/Drama/Romance/Slice of Life
Spice and Wolf - Fantasy/Adventure
When They Cry - Horror/Drama
Bamboo Blade - Comedy/Slice of Life/Sports
Chobits - Drama/Romance/Slice of Life/Science Fiction
Hayate the Combat Butler - Comedy/Slice of Life/Parody
Love Hina - Comedy/Romance/Harem
Negima! - Comedy/Romance/Harem/Action "
Are these recs, or a must-watch list? I'd strike out My Bride is a Mermaid and Toradora, and much as I love it probably Bamboo Blade-- they're all good, but i don't feel like they're "must watch" titles.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@gia:  They're just some "check out" tittles if you are interested.  There not "must see titles" for sure.  Well, maybe a couple of them are "must see".
Post by Zapp (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
@gia:  I cant be too sure about most of those because I haven't watched all but Spice and Wolf would be a Must Watch in my opinion. Its great if you don't really care for extremely "over the top" anime such as one piece (like me) 

I would also add darker than black if you like the more sci-fi kinda feel and maybe hellsing for horror (and also because its so badass)
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Damn, forgot about this thread.

*Bumpppppppppppppp*
Post by Adanadhel (124 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Well, I'll try just selecting the ones I believe to be "mandatory" in the genres I can remember. More like a "watch this first if you've never watched anything on this genre". I know most animes can fit in more than one genre, but I'll focus on the primary one.

Comedy: Excel Saga 
Drama: Clannad: After Story 
Slice Of Life: Honey & Clover  
Romance: Nana (Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien if you prefer a finished one)
Action: Saint Seiya 
Horror: Aoi Bungaku Series 
Mystery: Monster 
Supernatural: Ghost Hound 
Sci-fi: Lain 

And these are the ones I can remember for now = ] 
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Giantbomb recently did a users Game of the Year where all of the years were allowed to vote by making a list with a specific title, adding 10 video games to it.  All of the list were then tallied up and the final results were posted.  If AV could do something like that it'd work for this.
Post by Adanadhel (124 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@sickVisionz: I liked the idea! I'm kind of a statistics fan, so I think it'd be pretty interesting to see the most voted animes (and the least voted as well...XP)
Post by takashichea (12,353 posts) See mini bio Level 25

3 year bump.

I see where sickVisionz got his community project, Top Anime of the Year.

Must Watch (I built for Shonen fans)

• Inuyasha (if you're good with romance)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist

I would put more, but I have to work on something.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel