Contructing an Anime Vice Must-See List?

Topic started by Pazy on Feb. 6, 2010. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Pazy (21 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Forgive me is there is already a similer topic if there is please link me there.

Everyone seems to have there list of there must-see anime titles. Everyones list seems to feature slightly diffrent titles so I was wondering what your must see titles are? To be clear I dont mean best but the ones that are most referanced or otherwise the touchstone titles. The most common ones ive heard are titles like Akira and Dragonball Z. Neon Genesis Evangelion is another one which is heard to be a must-see title, although sadly its one that usually retails for about at least £100 for the series, but its been said to be "required veiwing".

So what are you guy's must-see titles? What are the titles you tell new fans to watch first or to make sure that other people have watched (otherwise they cant be your friends ;)).

Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
There probably is something like this, but i couldint find it when i searched so i don't see the problem with makeing this

the original dragon ball/z. Sailor moon. One of the three Current shonen series. All of the gundam series. Pokemon. Cowboy bebop. Outlaw star. all of miyazaki's films. 
evangalion. Ah! my goddess. chobits. Either Hellsing or Berserk.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
These types of things are extremely subjective, there's no "must-watch" anime list because in the end it all comes down to a person's opinion. But if you wanna watch just as a piece of anime history then I recommend classic shows from the late 70s, 80s and 90s like Mazinger Z, any Gundam, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball/Z, Macross, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Astro Boy, Bubblegum Crisis, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fist of the North Star and Voltron.  

I'd say some newer shows that will eventually become classics due to their huge popularity also deserve a watch: One Piece (even though I hate it) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya being the prime examples.  
@Black_Rose said:
" These types of things are extremely subjective, there's no "must-watch" anime list because in the end it all comes down to a person's opinion"

Thats true but my hope was that once a lot of the community has posted there will be titles which feature on all/most of the lists and that will be the "Anime Vice Must-See List".

@Black_Rose said:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion  "
Thats come up a lot lately although I can understand since the new movie is coming up but ive yet to understand whats so great about it. Ill hopefully find out, ive ordered the whole series on DVD, but can you explain whats so good about it? Is it the characters, the action, the concepts or? Or at least what you personally find so great about it.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
This is a great idea.  Once we get some really good ones, we should make one big list in a new thread.  Here are some of my recommendations:

Azumanga Daioh - Slice of Life/Comedy
My Bride is a Mermaid - Slice of Life/Comedy/Parody
Gurren Lagann - Adventure/Action/Mecha
Minami-ke - Slice of Life/Comedy
Toradora - Comedy/Romance
Clannad - Comedy/Romance/Drama
Bakemonogatari - Comedy/Supernatural/Romance
Welcome to the NHK - Comedy/Drama/Romance/Slice of Life
Spice and Wolf - Fantasy/Adventure
When They Cry - Horror/Drama
Bamboo Blade - Comedy/Slice of Life/Sports
Chobits - Drama/Romance/Slice of Life/Science Fiction
Hayate the Combat Butler - Comedy/Slice of Life/Parody
Love Hina - Comedy/Romance/Harem
Negima! - Comedy/Romance/Harem/Action
@Pazy said:
It was a very deep anime in both themes and symbolism. It Established most stock character types, and it was one of the first anime's that hit a large audience over in America. Plus the main character was Rather pathetic, which set him apart from most protaganists. (hrmm, should i go save my friend or masturbate...... I think i will masturbate)
@rein said:
" @Pazy said: It was a very deep anime in both themes and symbolism. It Established most stock character types, and it was one of the first anime's that hit a large audience over in America. Plus the main character was Rather pathetic, which set him apart from most protaganists. (hrmm, should i go save my friend or masturbate...... I think i will masturbate) "
That sounds like the best character flaw ever, in the final battle to save all of creation they can choose to stand and fight or to masturbate in the corner and hope for the best.
@Pazy said:
" @rein said:
" @Pazy said: It was a very deep anime in both themes and symbolism. It Established most stock character types, and it was one of the first anime's that hit a large audience over in America. Plus the main character was Rather pathetic, which set him apart from most protaganists. (hrmm, should i go save my friend or masturbate...... I think i will masturbate) "
That sounds like the best character flaw ever, in the final battle to save all of creation they can choose to stand and fight or to masturbate in the corner and hope for the best. "
you pretty much summed up the end of evangelion. lol
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
It's hard to recommend anything to people given how much tastes can differ. The only show I could see myself recommending to anyone, whether they're really into anime or not, is Cowboy Bebop. 
Perhaps we could make a recommendation list for each genre of anime.  How does that sound?
@rein said:
" @Pazy said:
" @rein said:
That sounds like the best character flaw ever, in the final battle to save all of creation they can choose to stand and fight or to masturbate in the corner and hope for the best. "
you pretty much summed up the end of evangelion. lol "

Then its probably for the best that, as far as im aware, every new evangelion propery redoes the end of it all lol

@JJOR64 said:

" Perhaps we could make a recommendation list for each genre of anime.  How does that sound? "
My thinking was that if everyone posted their opinion of the "must-see" list then we can see what features in most of the list and produce a single list of, for example, 10 animes which provide a good solid base to start progressing further into anime. If you start breaking it into genre's then it can be a very overwhelming list. Although that is a good idea for a seperate list.

@Pazy said:
I would say as long as you watch all the anime's that were featured on cartoon network (they butchered them, But they had excellent taste in what the average person would enjoy) and watch All of the miyazaki films you should have a good base to start heading into other anime.
@Pazy:  Maybe that is a better thing to do instead of the genre lists.  Since I just got into anime last fall, I really don't have a great list of "must watch" shows at the moment.  The only ones I can think of are Gurren Lagann and Azumanga DaiohEvangelion has to be on this and I say FLCL as well.  I'm trying to think of what else should be on there.  Maybe Gia and John can help us with this as well.

(Doing something like this reminds of the list 4chan made.)
@JJOR64 said:
" @Pazy:  Maybe that is a better thing to do instead of the genre lists.  Since I just got into anime last fall, I really don't have a great list of "must watch" shows at the moment.  The only ones I can think of are Gurren Lagann and Azumanga DaiohEvangelion has to be on this and I say FLCL as well.  I'm trying to think of what else should be on there.  Maybe Gia and John can help us with this as well.

(Doing something like this reminds of the list 4chan made.) "
The 4chan list reminds me of how awesome Legend of the Galactic Heroes is and how is so thick I dont watch it for more than a week I have to start again. Although im sort of frightened that I call myself an anime fan, goodness knows that ive bought enough anime in the past week to be one, but I havent heard of most of the stuff in this thread like Azumango Daioh, Negimi, My Bride is a Mermaid, Saint Seiya and Mazinger Z (and a lot more of them). Perhaps since im not invested in an anime community yet and dont frequent anime sites the way I do game sites (Giant Bomb!) then Ive tended to try out ones ive seen on TV or in store.
@Pazy:  You just need to go looking around and try new stuff.  That's what I ended up doing.  Some times I find shows that interest me or pick one from that 4chan list.
@JJOR64 said:
" @Pazy:  You just need to go looking around and try new stuff.  That's what I ended up doing.  Some times I find shows that interest me or pick one from that 4chan list. "
Im trying out Shigurui because it was £10 on Blu-Ray which I had never heard of it before, though ive only watched one episode and im not quite sure what I think of it yet, and I got absolutely hooked on Chobits when I watched it at my friends out, at random since I was awake at 4am while he slept so I raided his cuboard. Sadly my download speed right now is pretty bad for video, though good enough for forums or audio, so I cant just try out anime's at random since 20minutes of show would take over an hour to stream so in order to try out new programs im getting them on DVD which is why I have Neon Genesis Evangelion coming (hence why ive mentioned it quite often, its on my mind) and Ive ordered the box set of the movie versons of the original Gundam series. It might be worth it for me to write down the list of anime's I own, especially since it will be a fairly short list, so that I can point people to it to show my anime background.
@Pazy:  Chobits is a good start.  The manga is great as well.
@JJOR64 said:
" @Pazy:  Chobits is a good start.  The manga is great as well. "

I tried to read the manga but a lot of what I like about the Anime (which is of course in the manga too) are the characters but a lot of my association's with them and the feelings they gave to me was through the voice acting (especially since I listened to it Dubbed) so when I read the Manga it didnt feel the same sadly. The other problem is I keep trying the Manga versions of Anime's I like but because I have to read through storylines, and often exact dialouge, I have already experienced makes me bored with it so I tend to choose one or the other.

Side note if you want to evaluate the rest of my anime, although to save argument I also put anime-style media in the name, then you can look at my mini-bio. Its short, including ones IVe ordered and dont yet have its only 9 titles.

Post by Shinigami_Rider (327 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Guess i`ll do the superhero genre :)

Gatchaman
Tekkaman 
Tekkaman Blade
Hurricane Polymar 
Hurricane Polymar AOV
Karas   
Soultaker
Devilman
Sadamitsu the Destroyer
Cutie honey (any season)
Garo + new anime movie
Casshern
Casshern Sins
The Skullman 
Guyver
Viewtiful Joe
Ogon Bat (but not for the English people which is to bad there are no English subs but for Italians the Fantaman episodes are widely available)
Cyborg 009 (2000)
Kikaider 
Kikaider 00 
Yatterman old+new
Sailor Moon (Yes its for little girls get over it!)
Pretty Cure franchise (Again yes its demographic is for little girls but the action is good)

I missed alot but its late and i had a busy day so it only natural that i missed some series on my list :\
Post by Sombre (113 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I'll just do it all for you.

Here you go
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel