Code Geass vs. Guilty Crown

Topic started by lordbane666 on Jan. 8, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by lordbane666 (12 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I'd like to say from the onset that I am a fan of both these series, having seen Code Geass from beginning to end, and Guilty Crown from it's start up until episode 11, which is the current episode as far as I can tell. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd take Code Geass since it has a higher level of action and more interesting story than Guilty Crown, which I am starting to have some minor issues with.

With that said, I am reading a whole bunch of negative comments on this board about Guilty Crown. One of the predominate complaints is that the lead character is too much of a pussy, and I certainly agree. I have a feeling though, this was done primarily to give Shu a chance to develop from a shy teenager into a leader and a man. I got the impression early on in the series he was being groomed by Gia to take over the leadership position in Undertaker, since Gia has the virus and is slowly dieing from it. The last episode is just that for Gia, now we see if Shu has what it takes to rebuild Undertaker and rescue Inori. My complaint however, goes slightly beyond that of others, that is if Shu is such a pussy, why is it that once he gets a void in his hands, he suddenly becomes a ultra brave war machine, happily attacking the people he was so concerned about hurting before he got the void in his hands? One of my friends on this board, Takashichea, who is the top editor on Anime Vice, answered part of the question for me, telling me having a void in Shu's hands was like taking a "bravery pill", but this only answers half the question. I can only guess the other half has to do with the activation of the Kings Power, having no concern for the health and well being of his enemies.

Takashichea also pointed out to me that many of the people on this board who don't like Guilty Crown do so because it seams like a rip off of Code Geass. In reality, while both share a laundry list of similar plot elements, both tell a different story, and there leading characters are almost polar opposites. And if anyone reading this thinks for a second Code Geass is such an original, I can point to at least a dozen animes that came before it that had a similar story and plot elements. Like I said before, we hardy get to see anything truly original these days. Coping stories and plots seams to be a constant in the world of anime.

If your a fan of either of these series, I'd like to get your impression of what I just said, and if I missed the mark, let me know just how.

Also, I am continuing my reviews of older animes that have no review on Anime Vice with the movie M.D. Geist and the series DNA Squared. I also did a comprehensive summery and review of Guilty Crown, episode 10. Please check them out and leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

LB

Post by takashichea (12,326 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Bad Ass Shu is only conditional
Bad Ass Shu is only conditional

You know I was kidding with the bravery pill. :) My serious answer is that Shu has the most powerful weapon in his hands that literally destroys anything in his hand. I heard of the saying how the gun is the great equalizer or something. With something so powerful, you're like Rambo with nothing stopping you or making your heart falter. You know that King Powers could have activated some kind of alter ego in Shu's psyche. Do you notice his eyes are different sometimes? (I remember that when he pulled Inori's Void for the first time).

Great job on the reviews and this blog! (I tweeted your blog, but I haven't post on FB yet) I hope you get more people to comment on your reviews. Do you have a myanimelist or other anime accounts? You seemed more of a veteran anime guy. Despite my wiki edits in this community, I only known fewer than thirty or so titles of anime and manga.

"Guilty Crown is falling on its own sword" is one of the comments that I still remembered that pointed to its flaws. Let's see if Guilty Crown can get back on its feet. People tend to love anime shows for its characters, and Guilty Crown characters aren't that lovable.

• Gai - he is cool, but what he did to Kyou was f*cked up. She's your comrade for god's sake. Putting her out of her misery was not needed.
  • Shu - A wimp who freaks out and hits on poor Hare because he knows she likes him. He has the power to make things right.
  • Inori - She's a quiet, obedient soldier who follows Gai's orders to make Shu think he has a chance with her. She didn't do anything or respond when Shu got arrested or in one of the scenes. I can't remember much.

There are more, but I don't want to bash on the characters too much.

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

If I were to choose between both series, I'd choose Code Geass over Guilty Crown. It's as you said, Code Geass has much more action compared to Guilty Crown, and I find that it has much more depth. Also, I like Lelouche's lead much better than Shu. Shu is too much of a child, and is too whimpy.

When I first began watching GC, I thought of it as a CG rip off, to be honest. But as the series began to progress, I see how the way the plot is structured, and the character interactions are much different. But they still do have the striking similarities, and the one that really pissed me off was the one I mentioned in my last report, when Shu practically pulled a "Lelouche" when he wanted Hare to "comfort" him, the way Lelouche wanted Kallen to comfort him after he thought

Great article LB! Nice to hear your input since you watched both series as well.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

*spoilers*

My problem to this point is that Inori's whole character is confused. First she says she wants him to be with her forever, then she moves in with him, then she says she's acting like she likes him, then, seemingly out of the blue she wonders with Gai whether she loves him or not. I mean, what?

That said, the last episode before the break was encouraging. It was great to see Shu sacking up and recruiting his team, then switching between each power as the situation applied. I could use more episodes like that.

Coming from someone that really appreciated Code Geass ( I watch the finale a few times a year) I WANT Guilty Crown to be great. It hasn't gotten there yet, but I hope it will.

Post by sceonn (757 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@lordbane666 said:

And if anyone reading this thinks for a second Code Geass is such an original, I can point to at least a dozen animes that came before it that had a similar story and plot elements.

I'd like to know those anime if you don't mind~

@AgentJ said:

*spoilers*

My problem to this point is that Inori's whole character is confused. First she says she wants him to be with her forever, then she moves in with him, then she says she's acting like she likes him, then, seemingly out of the blue she wonders with Gai whether she loves him or not. I mean, what?

That said, the last episode before the break was encouraging. It was great to see Shu sacking up and recruiting his team, then switching between each power as the situation applied. I could use more episodes like that.

Coming from someone that really appreciated Code Geass ( I watch the finale a few times a year) I WANT Guilty Crown to be great. It hasn't gotten there yet, but I hope it will.

Same for me, I don't like how Inori's character is confusing. Or the whole idea of using Shu that way since Shu uses Inori's Void as a weapon and Inori uses him for Gai and Funeral Parolor's goals. I guess that she is a soldier who follows orders without emotions. It's the way she is conditioned. I remember how she kill those soldiers without flinching or hesitating. We haven't seen her childhood or her upbringing. I bet she's like a doll. Because of Shu who is so different from the Funeral Parlor, she just opened up a bit.

Similarities I seen in the reviews:

• Ayase and Kallen are pilots of robots
  • Hare and Shirley are the girls who died tragically and became catalysts for the main characters' change
  • Souta and Rolo - Rolo killed Shirley on purpose while Souta and Shu indirectly caused the death of Hare
  • Milly and Arisa - Rich and pretty girls

Edit:

Inori and C.C. - Mysterious girls who are very close to the main male protagonists, Shu and Lelouch.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@lordbane666 said:

With that said, I am reading a whole bunch of negative comments on this board about Guilty Crown. One of the predominate complaints is that the lead character is too much of a pussy,

That's what made me put it down. Crazy sci-fi girl gets chased through future city and stumbles across a loser high school boy. That was like the first 10 minutes and when he called himself a pussy for not standing up against like a heavily armed SWAT team I was like, "ugh, I already knew exactly where this was going." I put it on my Hulu queue with all the other series I say I'll get back to but haven't watched in almost two years like Rainbow Sengoku Basara season 2.

@sickVisionz:

I was contemplating on dropping, but I had to finish it. I'm neutral on the anime. There are times I hate it and times I love it. For you, you better just drop it. Season 1 is a bit rushed, but it makes more sense than season 2. In season 2, plot twists come out of nowhere, Shu's character goes up and down (coward to jerk to hero), and they get religious in a bad way. I hoped I didn't spoil you.

There was no hint of religious references in season 1, so it was weird. They should have ended in season 1 when things were good.

Even though you are not here anymore, LordBane666, I made another similarities and differences blog: Sword Art Online and .Hack Similarities and Differences. I linked your thread to that one.

We have a total of four topics found so far in this community.

I hope folks are inspired by our work and put some awesome topics.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel