Best Buy Doesn't Love Us Anymore: Less Anime On Shelves

Topic started by gia on Jan. 18, 2009. Last post by N15PCA 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

This could be bad news for anime fans everywhere: Japanator reports that nation-wide, Best Buy is “realigning” their anime section, which means that they're going to be carrying considerably less anime than they have in the past-- basically, they'll probably only be carrying the cream of the crop.

Since a few sites initially put out reports that Best Buy was closing their anime sections up entirely, I want to repeat for the sake of clarity: they are CUTTING DOWN on anime on the shelves, not removing it entirely.

Now, I buy most of my anime online or at cons, but every once in a while it's nice to wander through actual store shelves without being in a hurry to make it to this or that event and pick something up I might not have thought to before-- I'm sad I'll have less opportunity to do that.

How about you? Do you shop at Best Buy for your anime much? Do you think this will have a big impact on your ability to acquire our favorite vice?

Post by yuetheguardian (93 posts) See mini bio Level 7
hey this saddens me as the last of my anime shelf sources is drying up, unforunatly the next best alternatives are online, or "imports"

best buy is my main source for purchased anime.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Damn, its hard enough as it is to get hold of most of what I want :(
Post by Ruby_Alexandrine (78 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I'll probably end up being the minority here when I say that it doesn't have much of an impact on my ability to purchase anime.  When online stores that sell anime actually stop or decrease their anime inventory, then it will have an impact on me since I prefer online shopping for my mangas and anime. 

Post by MorpheusDreamweaver (93 posts) See mini bio Level 1
It's too bad that I won't be able to find much anime at Best Buy if I decide to wander down the DVD aisles, but I really haven't bought any anime DVDs at retail shops in years. I've been an online-only customer for quite some time.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Ruby: That's kind of old news-- came out in October last year.
Post by Ruby_Alexandrine (78 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Nevermind then, I edited my commentary, no use in spreading old news.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I do occasionally buy anime at Bust Buy, but it won't really be much of a detriment in my buying habits. It's far easier to find deals online or in used media stores.
Post by HarunaL (5 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I never liked "Best Buy"...they always rip you off.
Post by OkazukiIchigo (350 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Bestbuy doesn't really have a selection of anime prior to this. If I'm really digging for anime, I usually stop by downtown to a store where they sell anime and merchandise.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I never really liked the selection Best Buy had. They usually had stuff I already bought cheaper online or stuff that I just don't like. This won't impact me personally but losing a huge store chain like Best Buy is really bad. I mean I still wander around Best Buy when I'm bored and sometimes I'll see titles that might give me some interest but now I won't have that luxury.

Though in all truth, I still love online shopping the best. It's easier to find coupons or it's generally cheaper. Like I just ordered the LE Gurren Lagann Part 2 for 27 bucks at Borders.com because of their almost weekly coupons. wahoo. =3
Post by Sonata (35,228 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I usually buy my Anime at FYE, but I should definitely try some online :)
Post by transgojobot (122 posts) See mini bio Level 2
A "reduction/cut-back" is pretty bad. And, yes, it can even have a trickle down effect to us online buyers. Anything that hurts/bruises the bottom-line of North American anime companies can hurt every anime fan.

But I still feel like there's one massive shoe out there waiting to drop this year.
Post by jangofett88 (15 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I've never really been a fan of Best Buy. Fry's Electronics usually has everything I need for electronics and electronic entertainment.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
RAGE
Post by kwyrt (31 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I buy most of my anime on eBay or deepdiscount.com. I've also recently discovered a new source of anime pleasure. The network of libraries in my area has a ton of anime. Pretty sweet. Especially for trying out new anime (new to me anyways).
Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
That sucks because that's all I would buy at Best Buy.  Its just when I wanted anime, I wanted it now! :P Oh well the interent will start to do for me. :(
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Whatever, the anime selections at my BestBuys were absolute crap anyways :|
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
This is sad but I never had a Best Buy near me so it won't effect me personally.
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
HarunaL said:
"I never liked "Best Buy"...they always rip you off."
It seems Best Buy used to actually give you the best buy when they first opened.  They're prices were good.  Now, not so much.  It's weird that they're cutting down on their selection.  Going to Border's recenetly, it seems they've increased their shelf space for mangas.  I think it is that people are either watching or buying their anime online.  Best Buy is selling them practically at retail.  I don't believe in that.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel