Been Away, What did I miss?

Topic started by Geki on Aug. 9, 2010. Last post by Jinbeifan1 3 years, 11 months ago.
Post by Geki (5 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Hey AnimeVice world!

I granduated college a few years ago and got one of those real jobs (they suck) and missed all the new anime for the last 2 to 3 years.  I used to religously watch all the new shows every season and was wondering what are the really good ones I've missed.  

I watched Gundam 00, got caught up on Naruto: Shippuden & Bleach, finished the Inuyasha story with Inuyasha Kanketsuhen, caught the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya and I'm currently watching Angel Beats.  Did I miss anything?

There has to be some lesser known shows that were good over the last couple years.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
High School of the Dead is currently running and that's pretty popular, and I've liked the little bit I've seen of Asobi no Ikuyo, although is an action show with harem aspects and cat girls, so if you are put off by those you might want to pass.

Toaru no Majutsu no Index ( A Certain Magical Index) ran in 2008-2009 and a spin-off Toaru Kagaku no Railgun ( A Certain Scientific Railgun) ran 2009-2010.  The next season of A Certain Magical Index is set to start this fall.  It's about a world where superpowers are well known and explained through scientific principles.  

One of my favorite stories in recent memory, Sora no Woto ran this year.  It's a short story of a girl who is part of an all female squad stationed in a small isolated town far away from the frontlines of a future war.  It's not exploitative even if the set up would seem to indicate it to be. 

Needless ran from 2009-2010.  It's another world where people with superpowers exist in a post apocalyptic setting.   

I liked Baka to Test to Shōkanjū ( Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts) from earlier this year.  It's a very silly romantic comedy about a high school for magic.  Season 2 is set for early 2011.

Fairy Tail was a bright surprise these last two years.  It's an action comedy on a similar order to One Piece from the same guy who did Rave Master.  It's less silly than that one though and the characters are more "fleshed out".

I like Heroman which began last year, too.  It's an anime set in America and has Stan Lee's input.  It's a boy and his robot story, but it's intriguing to see Japan do America in anime.

Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-Hen is a hyper active revisit to the classic giant robot from the 70's.  That ran in 2009.  It is anime action turned up to "11" with an unforgettable ending.

The best thing was probably Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.  A 64 episode telling of the story with a lot more added than in the original series run.
Post by Eelcire (74 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Geki: K-on! is really hot right now, which is a slice-of-life anime following 4 (5) high school girls and their light music club. If you were a fan of Slayers, Slayers Revolution is now out on DVD which is the fourth season of the series. If you like a horror setting with plenty of fan-service, Rosario+Vampire is decent enough (though the manga is much better). If you haven't already be sure to watch the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I've been reading more manga than watching anime recently, so my list is a little short.
Post by SamJaz (11,914 posts) See mini bio Level 19
TENGEN. TOPPA. GURREN. LAGANN.

But yeah. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is amazing, especially if you've seen the original series. Highschool of the Dead is dead set to become one of the best anime of all time, so long as they avoid the filler ending.
Sora No Otoshimono was also amazing for sheer comedic quality.

Mangawise, you need to check out Mahou Sensei Negima, because the anime sucks for that. Psyren is basically a smart person's Bleach
Post by metalsnakezero (667 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Let see here 
Bakemonogatari - For strange art style, meta humor, and interesting story. 
Baccano! - multiply story lines that all stick in to each other. All set in the 1930s 
Durarara!! - Said to be the successor Baccano! set in modern time Tokyo 
Kimi ni Todoke - A very nice high school romance story.

I'll stop here just so you can keep up with everyone else's suggestions.  
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@SamJaz said:

" TENGEN. TOPPA. GURREN. LAGANN.

But yeah. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is amazing, especially if you've seen the original series. Highschool of the Dead is dead set to become one of the best anime of all time, so long as they avoid the filler ending.
Sora No Otoshimono was also amazing for sheer comedic quality.  Mangawise, you need to check out Mahou Sensei Negima, because the anime sucks for that. Psyren is basically a smart person's Bleach "

This...also look into Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and R2 if you have not seen them. I highly recommend Angel Beats! to you (one of the best anime series of 2010).

(Edit: Did not see that she was watching this show already. I am just hoping that the franchise gets a second season)
Post by Mezmero (69 posts) See mini bio Level 10
You're just in time to watch this site get driven into the ground.
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Higurashi No Naku Koro ni was great if you're into suspense/mystery/ horror animes.
Post by TriforceF (105 posts) See mini bio Level 15
If you at least bit interested in 21st century History and want to watch something light hearted to break up epic anime try Hetalia Axis Powers. It details the events of  World War One but somehow makes it funny? Anyways it's really good although some of the more 'Japanese jokes' go over my head the majority of it I get and how each character (there's one character representing the whole country) are presented in such a stereotypical way its not offensive just plain stupid and funny. Each episode is only 5 minutes long so you can easily watch a few every now and then.  
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15
heh...I would stay away from all the moe that has been mentioned...moe has driven anime (and this site actually) into the ground, but I digress.  The last few years, I would check out Brotherhood definitly which is the best thing released this year, followed closely by le chevailor deon.  Not much else really, I have stopped watching kenshin as it is just more bleach and naruto...I gave up on Inuyasha a loooong time ago and I only keep watching bleach because I want to find out how it ends after all the time I have wasted on it...but moe makes me bitter so....
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Let's not forget Toradora, here people. There is also Claymore, Rainbow, Sekirei, and Okamisan. Each of these has different stories and themes with each having its unique qualities.

Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Geki said:
" (1) I watched Gundam 00, got caught up on (2) Naruto: Shippuden & Bleach, finished the Inuyasha story with Inuyasha Kanketsuhen, caught the second season of (3) Haruhi Suzumiya and I'm currently watching (4) Angel Beats.  Did I miss anything?  There has to be some lesser known shows that were good over the last couple years. "

Group #How I Define ThemStuff Like It
 1 Sci-fi action with stuff blowing up all the time and light espionage and sob stories Code Geass, Ghost in the Shell:SAC 
 2 Shonen action with comedy Soul Eater, Kurokami, Sengoku Basara
 3 Off kilter school girl comedy Hyakko
 4 Similar to #2 but more goofy comedy and sob stories Asobi ni Ikuyo (Soul Eater too)

There's a lot of other good stuff I'd recommend but those are the closest to the shows you mentioned.  For a list of shows that I think are good in general you should check out everything listed plus Spice to Wolf, Dennou Coil, Real Drive, Kaiba, Book of Bantorra, House of Five Leaves, Hayate no Gotoku, Toshokan Sensou, Nana, White Album, School Days, Claymore, Himitsu: The Revelation, Erin, Aoi Hana, Shigurui, Ghost Hound, Michiko to Hatchin, Shigofumi, Time of Eve, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 & Working.
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I suggest you watch Clannad and Clannad After Story. The first season is mostly comedic with some emotional scenes and the second seas, After Story,  has a lot more emotional scenes. It's a really great series that has good humor and good character interaction.
Post by AURON570 (555 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Time of Eve and Eden of the East, I strongly recommend!
Post by Geki (5 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Awesome Response

Here's how I'm starting out for variety.

K-On - Because I love Beck and this seems like Beck + Manabi Straight 

Fairy Tale - Because the art looks cool and I need some action

Toradora - Just cause it looks good

@sotyfan16:  Who's version of Okamisan are you watching?
Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@Geki said:
" Fairy Tale - Because the art looks cool and I need some action"

If you like your action well animated then Fairy Tail is most disappointing
Post by DocHaus (928 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Geki:  The Book of Bantorra and Durarara!! are both available for free on Crunchyroll. There's also Eden of the East and maybe Phantom if you feel so inclined. Very good shows that don't shove a ton of fanservice in your face to make up for lack of plot. I highly recommend them.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,734 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Angel Beats 
Highschool of the Dead 
K on 
Lucky Star 
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,649 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

K-on 
High school of Dead 
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN 
Evangelion Movies... 
Sengoku Basara.. 
Fairy Tail
Post by RJay_64 (41 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Geki said:

" Awesome Response  Here's how I'm starting out for variety.  K-On - Because I love Beck and this seems like Beck + Manabi Straight   Fairy Tale - Because the art looks cool and I need some action  Toradora - Just cause it looks good  @sotyfan16:  Who's version of Okamisan are you watching? "

You're might be mistaken if you think K-On is like Beck....What I mean is....it's not really about the music.  K-On! is about the jokes and the cuteness. The music barely ties everything together in K-On and gives the show a reason for existing.   

Don't get me wrong, I love K-On! and K-On!!, but I realize what it is.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel