Bandai Entertainment: No 5cm For Us!

Topic started by gia on Jan. 12, 2009. Last post by Kuro 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Byousoku 5 Centimeters
Byousoku 5 Centimeters
I read the Fanboy Review's report yesterday that Bandai Entertainment had the license to Byousoku 5 Centimeters, a former ADV title, with some trepidation; the report was based on credits for Bang Zoom! having produced dub work for it and a claim from ADV vice-president Matt Greenfield at a conference last year. He claims in to have additional sources who say that it's "definitely" being done for Bandai, although these sources are anonymous, so you'll have to make up your own mind on it.

I'm glad I waited, since ANN has received word from Bandai that they do not have the license to the show. An update from Fanboy Review backpedals a little, suggesting that Bang Zoom! is doing it on their own, on a low budget, by virtue of the cache of the actors selected for the dub.

EDIT: FR's Marc has corrected me, saying that he wasn't suggesting that BZ was independently dubbing the film, but that someone else may have been dubbing it at BZ's studio.

Post by omo (113 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Fanboy Review says: "After talking to a few people, Bang Zoom definately has redubbed it for Bandai, likely for a Blu-ray.  Not 100% sure on the Blu-ray front, but from what I’ve been told, that seems to be the plan.  Can’t say if the old dub will be on it or not."

Probably more news worthy IMO...
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
omo: It seems odd to me that Bandai would come out and say they DON'T have it but still be in the process of re-dubbing it-- I would expect them to "no comment" it. Unless, of course, they're already re-dubbing it but haven't confirmed the license yet, but in this economy that seems a bit too risky to me.

Of course, there's always the possibility that because the news has (sort of) come out, the license is now in jeopardy; I've heard many times that the Japanese companies take things like an early announcement extremely seriously.

I am going to edit the post per his correction to me in his update post, however.
Post by Chibi_Kaji (89 posts) See mini bio Level 2
This is something I wouldn't mind seeing on Blu-ray....
Post by MoonStorm (360 posts) See mini bio Level 9
So are or aren't  we going to get a dubbed version or not and if so from who. This is confusing me, but that company politics I guess.
Post by Sero (6 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Don't worry, I got six inches for you.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Damn teases
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel