Are there animes funnier than School Rumble ?

Topic started by Arnoboy on Jan. 11, 2013. Last post by MarioRedfield 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by Arnoboy (55 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I've been looking for an anime like SR for a long time. It's undoubtedly the best comedy anime for me, by far. I tried some other comedy animes like Seto no Hayanome, Azumanga Daioh or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei which I fought would be as hilarious as SR but It was just okay. Only Full Metal Panic Fumoffu comes close and maybe Haisukuru! Kimengumi (Very old but still one of the best).
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Gintama is my first choice if you're comfortable with subs. Infact, the subs, characters and the superb VA is what makes this anime a gem. It also has tons of references and parodies to pretty much everything.

The only problem is it has a somewhat slow start in the beginning. Episode 1 and 2 are just intros and episode 3 is where the main story begins.

One of the nicer things is that it is episodic so as long as you know the characters, you can pretty much watch any episode (unless those are arc episodes) in any order.

Not so sure about dubs since I haven't watched many but SR was definitely one of the nicer ones.

A recent anime is Tonari-no Kaibatsu kun which I found to be pretty superb, especially the comedy. It's also far shorter at just 13 episodes. Toradora as well.

Other comedy anime I can recommend from the top of my head are Hayate the Combat Butler, Great Teacher Onizuka(superb!), Sket Dance, Daily LIves of High school boys, Arakawa under the Bridge, etc.

There are also lots of shows that aren't pure comedy but do have elements of it like Slam Dunk, One Piece, etc.

Post by Arnoboy (55 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MohsinMan99:Thanks for your answer. I'm not used to watching dubbed anime anyway, I find the english voices too cheesy. Yeah a friend also advised me to watch Gintama, I'll give it a try. Hayate no Gotoku was pretty fun yeah, too bad It was short.

I'm not a big fan of GTO, I get a few laughs but that's all. I'll try the others. I've watched Slam Dunk (definitely in my top 10) and I still watch some anime with comedy in it (One Piece, Fairy Tail etc) but I feel like watching some pure comedy right.now.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Arnoboy:Well, if you're comfortable with subs, honorifics and know a fair bit about Japanese culture, I recommend you to try Gintama (but as warned before it starts a bit slow so you might need to give it some time). One of my favorite jokes is this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa2rn1_gintama-strawberry-milk_fun

I'm pretty sure the third season is running for Hayate. :)

Try the first episode of Tonari. It is a romcom like SR.

Hmm...GTO has too many fanservice/ecchi moments so that might be a turn-off. It was for me though.

Slam Dunk's major focus is basketball so I listed it among the others but the comedy is pretty good.

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

have you tried nichijou aka My ordinary life? also if you don't mind little bit of pervert-ness, Seitokai Yakuindomo

Post by KingOfAsh (1,389 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Well, one of the few animes to literally make me laugh was Full Metal Panic!

Post by SpeedForceSpider (4,958 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Golden Boy
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Pani Poni Dash, Mitsudomoe & Hayate no Gotoku

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,282 posts) See mini bio Level 21

SGT.Frog

Post by waybig1010101 (3,244 posts) See mini bio Level 14

kenichi the mightiest disciple every one of kenichi's masters cracks me up (watch the dub)

Post by Sonata (35,387 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Most of the ones I was going to say have already been. But I'll throw in Abenobashi Shopping Arcade.
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,755 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Arnoboy: Detroit Metal City is funny as hell....

But if you didnt like GTO you dont have a soul.....XD

Post by MarioRedfield (1,759 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@Destinyheroknight said:

SGT.Frog

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel