Animes that don't stop after "I love you."

Topic started by SnowCr45hed on July 29, 2014. Last post by othus12 1 month, 1 week ago.
Post by SnowCr45hed (1 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Does anyone know an anime series (besides Sword Art Online) that doesn't end once the main characters become a legitimate couple? Sure, watching a relationship come together is great and all but I want to see more of what happens AFTER the big confession.

Also, why the hell are cases like Kirito and Asuna so damn rare!? Are writers scared people will lose interest once their characters start openly expressing their affection and devotion for one another on a regular basis? Why do they insist on having the leads beat around the bush until the very last episode before they finally admit how they feel?

Please tell me I'm not the only one frustrated by this.

Post by Dream (7,668 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Could name a number of anime that explore a couple after they become official. Let's see:

• Kare Kano
  • Rumbling Hearts
  • Ai Yori Aoshi
  • Berserk
  • Bokura ga Ita
  • Clannad (both first season and After Story)
  • Gravitation (be warned that this one's a shounen-ai/ yaoi title)
  • Kanon
  • Kemono Zume
  • Kimagure Orange Road (a later animated movie made of the series that explores the main couple about to consummate their relationship )
  • Marmalade Boy
  • Monogatari franchise
  • Mysterious Girlfriend X
  • Nana
  • Nodame Cantabile
  • Paradise Kiss
  • Romeo x Juliet
  • Saikano
  • School Days (for better or worst)
  • Stellvia of the Universe
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@SnowCr45hed: That mainly happens in harem type shows and I think it's ultimately best to simply not consider harem shows as legitimate romance series. They are like elementary level stuff where the leads get themselves in a fluster over accidentally drinking out of the same straw and other stuff that even a middle schooler wouldn't get worked up about. I'd recommend

• School Days
  • White Album (both series have elements of this but 1 is better overall imo by a long shot)
  • Nana
Post by takashichea (12,402 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@SnowCr45hed:

You should visit the Sword Art Online Anime Discussion!

I recommend Love on the Job.

Post by Dream (7,668 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sickVisionz: Ai Yori Aoshi is a harem title, yet fits the mold for this because the main pairing of the series are clearly attracted to one another and become official by the middle of its first season run. The only reason it presses on is because of the unwanted harem scenario they get stuck in through their predicament.

Also, it isn't just harem titles that play up the whole "will they or won't they" plot buildup. You'll find it in a decent helping of other romance titles outside of harems and I think this is more reflective of Japanese societal norms when it comes to romance, especially as public displays of affection are an uncommon sight within the country and discussion about romance is considered a private matter for many.

Post by waybig1010101 (3,266 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@SnowCr45hed:

itazura na kiss

Post by othus12 (6,891 posts) See mini bio Level 13

im PISSED at SAO, what the hell is wrong with kirito?

dont give me this shit with sinon. kirito and asuna went trough life threatening situations for years and suddenly he's extremely close to this girl? dafuq? if they dont want to screw the series they should at least let asuna enter GGO and DIE.

/rant over.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel