ANIMES LIKE YU YU HAKUSHO

Topic started by DawnToDarkness on Oct. 27, 2011. Last post by PenguinDust 2 years, 9 months ago.
Post by DawnToDarkness (68 posts) See mini bio Level 7
YYH HAS TO BE MY 2ND FAVORTIE ANIME (UNDER GURREN LAGANN) AND I LOVE THE WHOLE FIGHTING TOURNAMENT THING.. ANY OTHER ANIMES LIKE THAT.. I STARTED SAINT SEIYA AND SAW THE FIRST 2 EPISODES OF HUNTER X HUNTER (THOUGH IT BORED ME) REMEMBER TOURNAMENTS=GOOD
Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Hunter X Hunter bored you??? SINNEEEEER!!!!. But seriously talking, you may try Hokuto no ken. Also a good alternative is JoJo's Bizarre adventure, I haven't ended it though, and I don't know if it has tournamentes, but is good old anime style fights.

You must give a chance to Hunter X Hunter it gets a lot better, and there is a saga that includes a tournament, though is a short saga. In my opinion is better than YYH

@Levance: exactly what i want is ol school anime fights with the old sound effects and everything xD (LIKE HOW A SIMPLE PUNCH CAN BE HEARD IN BRAZIL)

Post by DocHaus (931 posts) See mini bio Level 18

I THINK YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN!

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,277 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Levance:

In my opinion is better than YYH

SMACK!!! Sir, you have insulted my honour, I challenge you to a duel :(

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@DocHaus said:

I THINK YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY IS BROKEN!

This. It isn't needed.

@Destinyheroknight:Sir?? Rejected

@Levance:

@Destinyheroknight:

@Levance:

@Destinyheroknight:Never understand what does the crown means.

@Levance:

Its part of Bender's superhero costume (Super King), and also not amused is what a king would say

@Destinyheroknight:Oh I see.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Tournaments, eh? How about Flame of Recca? It starts and ends with a tournament. Same director as YYH as well.

Other likely tournament based anime:

• The Law of Ueki (this is too much tournament based)
  • Fate/Stay Night (kinda tournament based)
  • DB/DBZ (you most likely know this)

Also, HxH, you're watching the remake or the new one?

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I finished a couple recently which might be what you're looking for. The first is Kenichi The Mightiest Disciple. It's a martial arts story about a boy who is trained by 7 masters simultaneously at a dojo where they all hang out. He's the only student, but a classmate of his (and the granddaughter of the dojo's head) also trains there. I can't say it's really a tournament proper, at least in the anime, but it has a lot of traits from that genre. I think the manga might have an actual tournament competition.

The other is Air Master. This one is about an ex-Olympic class gymnast girl who becomes a noted and feared street fighter. There aren't any special powers and such in this one (mostly), but there are a lot of over-the-top martial arts fights that would make Jet Li jealous. The second half has a tournament in it in which the participants use the city as their battlefield. The end is a tad too mystical I think, but it works just the same.

If you like giant robots (Gurren Lagann) and tournament fighting animes (Yu Yu Hakusho), you should definitely see Mobile Fighter G Gundam. I wrote a blog about it a while back. It's ridiculous but in a good way. Gundams fight each other with their fists to determine who rules the solar system for the next four years.

@MohsinMan99: old one.

@PenguinDust: g gundam looks good

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@DawnToDarkness: Yeah since you never mentioned what other anime you watched.

Also, take a look at the others.

Post by Hibaru (74 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Anime like Yu Yu Hakusho eh? There are a lot. But the only few specific Anime I can mention is only H x H (Although it bored you huh?), Bleach (I don't remember there's a tournament, sorry), Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto. Katekyo Hitman Reborn also has a similar thing to Tournament in Varia Arc and Choice Arc.

But I believe there is a tournament on Hunter X Hunter. The last Phase of the Exam was a Fighting Exam. Not only that, when Gon and Killua went to learn Nen with Wing, they also participate on a tournament. But its your choice my friend! Hope I helped. And apologize if not.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Hibaru said:

Anime like Yu Yu Hakusho eh? There are a lot. But the only few specific Anime I can mention is only H x H (Although it bored you huh?), Bleach (I don't remember there's a tournament, sorry), Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto. Katekyo Hitman Reborn also has a similar thing to Tournament in Varia Arc and Choice Arc.

I'm currently on the Choice Arc of Katekyo Hitman Reborn and I found the series to be an entertaining, albeit conventional shonen action show. I think it's the weakest of the multitude of "100+ episode" shows I've seen, however that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the experience. There are a few problems I think the OT should be wary of, though. To begin with, nothing really happens during the first 18 episodes. Characters are introduced and a lot of it is played for laughs. I struggled with these shows since the main protagonist, Tsuna is such an annoying, panicky, cowardly, indecisive, shrill hero early on. As the series progressed, he improved but it wasn't for a good long time until he became bearable in my opinion. Co-combatants Hayato Gokudera, Takeshi Yamamoto, and Kyoya Hibari were the ones that kept my attention as well as female companion, Haru Miura. If the OT gets bored easily, these initial shows might derail him before the Kokuyo Arc kicks things off seriously. Still, I am liking it well enough and after 166 episodes I've even gotten used to Lambo.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel