Anime recommendations in retrospective

Topic started by sickVisionz on Feb. 5, 2011. Last post by Addfwyn 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • If I could do it again, I'd still start with the best
  • If I could do it again, I wouldn't start with the best
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
For those of you who have seen at least 40 anime series and taking hindsight into consideration and the role that those first few anime series had in shaping your habits, views and opinions as an anime fan, I'd like to pose a question: 

If you could pull an Eden of the East and purposely wipe all of the anime that you'd ever seen completely from your memory, would you want to start back at watching the best of the best or watching stuff that wasn't the best of the best?  

*Note: not best of the best =/= worst of the worst. 

Edit: I should have specified that you're not picking any specific order or anything like that and that.  It's more like... if you could leave yourself an anime recommendation list, would you front load it with the best of the best or not?
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I pick A
Post by adoggz (210 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I would most definitely not start with the best. I'd want some build up before I got to them otherwise my expectations would be messed up forever.
Post by Adanadhel (124 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@adoggz said:
" I would most definitely not start with the best. I'd want some build up before I got to them otherwise my expectations would be messed up forever. "
Agreed!
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
If I could re-write my exposure to anime, I wouldn't start with the best of the best.  I'd prefer to watch everything I have seen chronologically, the good and the bad (well, the "not as good").  I guess that would mean watching random episodes of Gigantor and 8 Man to kick it off my re-education, but I think it's important to have a foundation of knowledge based around the classics and from there build up to the more recent offerings.  It seems so many fans have trouble going back a couple of decades to watch old anime, but they're really missing out I believe.  So, I'd like to be certain that I don't succumb to that opinion by reacquainting myself with where it all began.  It's not too great a departure from my anime reality since I started with shows made in the 70's and early 80's anyway.  
Post by Mechanical_Ape (84 posts) See mini bio Level 8
If I was able to predetermine the exact order I would see them in, then I would start with one of the best. That way my interest would be piqued. From there, I would plan some that are still good, but maybe not at that same level. And then follows those with one that is really good again. 

If I couldn't choose exactly what order they would fall, I would want to watch the best ones first. Sure, it would probably mess with my expectations a bit, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see what it would be like to see some of my favorite series for the first time with fresh eyes.

And maybe I'm thinking too deeply into a completely hypothetical question.
Post by damswedon (277 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I'd keep the mixed bag. The crap always makes you appreciate the good stuff.
Post by Lord_Fortengard (6 posts) See mini bio Level 4
The smart choice is to start out from the bottom and make your way to the top and watch something that is decent. But really, it's not so much about the quality of how fantastic it is as much as it is how accessable it is. Most shounen stuff in Shounen Jump is a pretty good start for anime fans is that it's accessable even if the quality is debatable. Then they can make their way up to the good stuff. And if you start with the good stuff, you become sort of a snob who could not have fun with something of lesser quality. For example, you can all scream at each other about if Evangelion was actually good or not, but I wouldn't advise it to anyone starting with anime ether way, no matter if it is good or not.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Hmm...a tough choice, but in the end, I would start with the best that I could get my hands on. I subscribe to Shonen Jump (since March 2010), own the entire Rosario + Vampire manga set, 1/2 of the Fate/stay Night manga set, Afterschool Charisma (Volume 1), Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit (Volume 5), and the DC Comic-produced MegaTokyo (Volume 6).
Post by Sephrim1 (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2
If you love action adventure anime, then you will love Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. You should also check out Full MEtal aclhmist: brotherhood, Inuyasha, Vampire Knight, G Gundam, and these are just a few. You still of course have the classics like Dragon Ball, Z, Gt and Yu Yu Hakusho. I can't wait until Sephrimmedia.com starts streaming all of these. These are definitley some of my favorites and I think everyone will love them.
Post by ronat1 (127 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Im always looking for the best and if I ever find something that I just cant stand I simply stop watching it. Following that way of thinking I´d say that in any case every single one I´ve watched is good enough for me. There will always be some better than the others, but I would never see something that I consider crap. Why waste my time with trash?
Post by nVision (114 posts) See mini bio Level 13
There have been countless titles that I have enjoyed and continue to love that ,if put under formal critique, would be considered horrible. Even if the pacing is bad or the plot is full of holes, I often fall prey to things like cute/charming characters (damn you k-on!) or crazy mindless violence. Even in the 'worst' shows there usually something I can still guiltily enjoy.
Honestly,if you were always looking for story telling excellence you would have better luck fine literature and not anime.  

I guess the order of which I watch my shows probably wouldn't make much of a difference.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
A) I barely have time to watch anything these days, and I simply don't want to watch anything (be it movies, drama, or anime) that isn't well worth my time.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel